Balance of Power II: 1861 (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:25:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power II: 1861 (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Balance of Power II: 1861 (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)  (Read 7809 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:04:02 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2016, 11:24:12 AM by Lumine »

Balance of Power II: 1861

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to the world of Balance of Power II.

More than a decade after the revolutionary wave that surged across Europe in 1848, the continent stands on an uneasy balance once more. Nations like Prussia and the newly proclaimed Italy are on the rise, as powers like Austria, France, Russia and the British Empire face issues of their own. Across Asia and Africa the colonization of lands by European powers has become more and more aggressive, further complicated the internal instability of China and Japan. And, on the other side of the seas, America finds itself torn apart by a recently declared civil war, putting Unionists and Confederates against each other. Can the fragile balance be maintained and war avoided in the 1860's? You will take over as the leader of a nation and try to lead it to the top. Of course, should you fail or become too unpopular, you might lose elections (if country has them), face revolution, or even go down in a civil war..

Basic Rules:

1. Turns: Just like BoP I, players will have to play turns that represent six months, in which they will react to ongoing crises and events and post their policies, moves and reactions to what other players do. There are no World Wars here, so special modes will not be needed.

2. Historical Context: The Game starts on the beginning of 1861, but for practical reasons virtually all events up to March-April have already happened, Fort Sumter and the war declaration included.

3. Messages: Secret messages between the players must include the GM, all of them. I will not acknowledge moves or negotiations I am not aware of, so be careful with that.

4. Historical Events: A mixture of dice and random number generator will work out to determine events as they go, but we will have obvious divergences from OTL since the start. I can already made public that regarding Italy, Count Cavour will avoid his death (as McKinley avoided his in the 1901 Game).

5. Stats: These have not changed, to be released every two turns in terms of your popularity, economic state and internal strife. Unlike Balance of Power I, I will try to be specific on troop numbers this time, but remember that as sources are limited I will have to simplify issues and numbers from time to time.

6. Game Over: Same. Game Over can come in three ways: A.- (All) By getting defeated in war and then deposed by the enemy. B.- (Democratic Nations) By losing the election for President/Primer Minister, and C.- (Monarchies/Dictatorship) Losing a Revolution/Civil War that ends the Monarchy or the ruling dynasty. Assasinations and ending one's term in office (with no electoral defeat) will not count as Game-Overs, and you will continue with the successor. In case of a game over for a player who led a nation that still exists (or has changed leaders via elections), said nation will be offered to another player first.

7. Players, Nations and Assistant GM: I will simulate all NPC countries, unless there’s a volunteer for Assistant GM, who will then be entrusted with negotiation, research and advice. That said, the position is not likely to have full powers, to avoid issues that happened in the last time. You can play as:

GM Team:

Game Moderator: Lumine
Assistant GM: Dereich

Europe:

French Empire: Emperor Napoleon III (Kingpoleon)
Russian Empire: Tsar Alexander II (Never Again)
British Empire: First Lord of the Treasury Lord Palmerstone (Spamage)
Austrian Empire: Kaiser Franz Josef I (Cranberry)
Ottoman Empire: Sultan Abdulmecid I (Steelers)
Kingdom of Prussia: King Wilhelm I
Kingdom of Italy: Prime Minister Camilo Cavour
Kingdom of Spain: President of the Council Leopoldo O’Donnell

America:

United States of America: President Abraham Lincoln (Darthebearnc)
Confederate States of America: President Jefferson Davis (Enduro)

Asia:

Tokugawa Shogunate: Shogun Tokugawa Iemochi
Qing Empire: Xianfeng Emperor

I'm tempted to start during Saturday/Sunday, but it depends on the number of players. I hope this game is a success as well!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »

I'll do Jefferson, or the assistant GM.

Actually, I'll do Jefferson, I'm already being GM.

Welcome, Mr. President!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:13 PM »

I volunteer for Emperor Napoleon III. Hopefully Austria will ally me.

Welcome!

Excellent news, Dereich!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »

Welcome, First Lord!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »

Welcome, illustrious Tsar.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »

Are we still getting started tomorrow? I very much look forward to the game Smiley

Well, it depends. We can get started as soon as we have six players! (which seems the minimum to me)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »

The last game was incredibly fun, so, you know, I'd be here to defend the honour of House Habsburg if needed.

I'll take Austria, in case no one else wants it - if there is interest, I'd be happy to stay back.

Welcome, Cranberry!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 01:58:16 AM »

I have been doing extensive research, but it takes time. The first turn will be up anywhere from tomorrow to Tuesday at the latest.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2016, 10:01:03 PM by Lumine »

Yes, sir!

Also, please wait until we have started to start negotiating. I will not acknowledge agreements or negotiations before the main thread is even up (remember to add me and Dereich to the PM's).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 12:43:35 AM »

Okay, the game has started!

I'm tired now, so the two special events I have in mind and the American Civil War thread (it gets a special one) will wait a few hours before being published.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 02:53:34 PM »

Just to clarify, there will be an American Civil War thread up soon, although with a couple of special events (some by me, others by Dereich).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »

Nobody took Prussia?

I wouldn't mind taking it, since Steelers took my beloved Ottoman Empire.

Please do, Kalwejt! I could certainly have player issues for Prussia (or another country) up tonight.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »

Just to clarify, there will be an American Civil War thread up soon, although with a couple of special events (some by me, others by Dereich).

Where do we post our responses to the national issues? In our turn, via PM, separately from the turn in the thread?

Via PM is fine, although if you want something to be made public the Game thread is the best of that.

American Civil War thread up, troop levels, economy and popularity of Prussia updated along with its issues. Again, both Dereich and I need to go on all PM's, there's some info we're not recieving, and I certainly will not fill in the gaps.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 07:54:43 PM »

Truly sorry to hear that, Cranberry, but best of luck in school! Austria is left unplayable for now, although Cranberry's moves will most likely be simulated anyway.

I'll coordinate with Dereich regarding the next turn, there's a lot of info to check, some questions to answer and some... interesting moves to simulate.

And yes, Windjammer, you may certainly join starting in turn two.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 07:58:29 PM »

Right, I would like to have this turn finished and the other one set in during the weekend, Friday at the earliest and Saturday/Sunday at the latest. I would advise, therefore, that any last minute moves, questions and so on to be in by tomorrow afternoon so I can work on this as fast as possible.

Apologies if I haven't answered some questions before, so do ask them again if necessary. Also, NPC country negotiation is on Dereich's hands, don't forget to include us both on those PM's.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 03:14:37 PM »

We are! I entered another year of university today, but I'm writing as we speak.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 11:58:43 PM »

Sorry, university and other matters have kept me way too busy, much more than I expected... But I've compiled the moves in a doc and I have asked for Dereich's feedback, following which I can finish calculating results and moving on. Thankfully, I have the whole weekend to work on this, so please don't lose faith!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 10:31:12 PM »

Right, end of the turn posted. Working on troop levels and world map now for current players, shouldn't take long (as in, no longer than an hour or two).

Player crisis and Italy info will be up in the afternoon, as I have class in the morning.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »

Map updated to include Spain taking over Santo Domingo as in OTL. This may or may not warrant an event, as there's quite a few being written already.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »

Sorry, Kalwejt, I got caught in several activities over the past couple of days (and in my italian research as well). Tonight it is.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 11:25:27 PM »

Italian economy, popularity and troop levels updated.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 12:48:33 AM »

Okay, we're all set. Sorry it took so unusually long, serves me right for not predicting the level of committment this game would require (and to be honest, it probably wouldn't have been possible without Dereich's more than considerable efforts).

That said, enjoy the turn! With the first one behind us this one should be a lot easier to conduct and simulate. You have until Sunday evening, in a preliminar date. Further into on the American Civil War will be up soon for Enduro, and Dereich will have events regarding the US Border States up as well.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 01:03:28 AM »

In a slight modification, mid-term war results are pushed to Monday (because of the time zone I'm not sure of what day it actually is for the rest), I struck a bit of a complicated detail that I'm wondering whether to simulate or not (chances are I'll go for the simple route). Beyond that, I'm aiming at Friday for war-phase two, Saturday for turn end and Sunday for Turn Three.

Regarding the activity issue, I know for certain France (Kingpoleon), the UK (Spamage), the CSA (Enduro), Prussia (Kalwejt) and Italy (Windjammer) are participating, and if I recall correctly NeverAgain (Russia) is taking on a trip soon, making for six players. The Ottoman Empire (Steelers) seems to not have participated in some time, so I'll PM him.

Beyond that, I think I'll contact former players of the first version (or other forum members I can think of) tomorrow to see if we can fill some key states, having Austria or the USA would help (the sad thing is that some previous players are not around, like Clarence or Sawx).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 01:07:38 AM »

Well, I accept most the blame for that, the delay I faced obviously had an impact (along with the fact these games are time consuming). Ultimately, if anyone has any ideas on potential players and so on, do let me know.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 05:52:05 PM »

I can see the merit in that, Windjammer, and after consulting with Dereich I've decided to open a poll on the subject (best to have a collective decision than to just suspend it out right). It will be up in a couple of minutes.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies