Hungary Parliamentary Election - April 6, 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 05:27:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hungary Parliamentary Election - April 6, 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hungary Parliamentary Election - April 6, 2014  (Read 12042 times)
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »

Its better than a scenario in which Fidesz needs Jobbik to gain a majority.
[/quote]

Fidesz never said that they would built a coalition with Jobbik. I know that there are strong prejudices against Hungary respectively Fidesz, but not all of it corresponds to the reality. There are a lot of reasons, why FIDESZ is still heading the polls. Two are, that the hungarians still remember the bad job the last left-wing goverment has done and that FIDESZ ist not neoliberal.
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:44:58 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2014, 11:19:58 PM by Enno von Loewenstern »

Fidesz never said that they would built a coalition with Jobbik. I know that there are strong prejudices against Hungary respectively Fidesz, but not all of it corresponds to the reality. There are a lot of reasons, why FIDESZ is still heading the polls. Two are, that the hungarians still remember the bad job the last left-wing goverment has done and that FIDESZ ist not neoliberal.

Never claimed they would form an alliance, but such a situation would be highly unstable and chaotic.

Also: quote properly.

EDIT: I agree that Fidesz is demonized too much, but on the other hand they clearly have enacted policies that puts them out of the mainstream of centre-right/conservative European parties, to put it mildly.

You are quite right. Fidesz is not the western European center-right mainstream. They are still patriotic, still not politically correct and still not adapted to a left-liberal Mainstream of the politico-journalistic class. The western cultural and political left does not like their lack of subjection, as it has an allergy against right-wing self awareness. That is the main reason for the incrimination by biased media. But understand me correctly, I'm not a Fidesz appologet, there is a lot to criticize, for example, that they have spoken out against antisemitism, but still not far-reaching enough, they could be more friendly towards market economy and freetrade etc., but I defend them against unjustified, arrogant accusations of political correctness. And finally, why is the far right Jobbik gaining 10-20%, when Fidesz allegedly is already far right? I would compare Fidesz to the former french RPR with poujadist elements: patriotic, conservative, statist, interventionist, rather than classical liberal.
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »

Nézőpont exit poll:

Fidesz 48%
Összefogás 27%
Jobbik 18%
LMP 6%
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »

It seems that the Fidesz again one can obtain the possibility of a two-thirds majority in parliament.
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »

The 38 "Unity"-MPs are 29 MSZP, 4 DK, 3 Együtt, 1 PM, 1 MLP.

While Fidesz two-thirds majority is now fixed, the left opposition decomposed:

Quoted from the center-left Pester Lloyd http://www.pesterlloyd.net/html/1415politreaktionen.html :

"The losers of the five-party alliance "regime change" refused Orbán a congratulations on his election victory, but they recognized his win in spite of further allegations of an unfair electoral system and other structurally disadvantages. Ex-Premier and "Együtt 2014" leader Gordon Bajnai and MSZP leader Attila Mesterházy and DK-chairman and former Prime Minister Gyurcsány admitted to varying degrees also that they have not been able to give people an attractive alternative.

The coalition is not likely to lead to a faction alliance. The MSZP is 29 by 38, the largest group within the Alliance. Bajnai's "Together 2014" announced "no compromise in opposition work in favor of a common fraction". Since the four deputies can not form fraction (this requires five), they would fight as much as possible in Parliament, but above all extra-parliamentary struggle for a "regime change."

Gábor Fodor, the only deputy of his Hungarian Liberal Party has not yet decided whether he "Together 2014" or possibly the DK wants to make a coalition deal , so the group could form a fraction with appropriate rights and resources. Fodor requires that he could continue to present within such a group as "independent liberal party " .

MSZP leader Attila Mesterházy, despite its poor performance so far ruled out resignation, he said in the TV channel ATV on Sunday. He is already focusing on the European elections and local elections in the fall. Also in the studio, his former boss and predecessor, Ferenc Gyurcsány, who might not even recognize to have its own share of the electoral defeat of his Alliance."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies