On-Going Military Coup in Turkey (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:07:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  On-Going Military Coup in Turkey (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: On-Going Military Coup in Turkey  (Read 11876 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: July 20, 2016, 07:47:26 AM »
« edited: July 20, 2016, 08:15:24 AM by Velasco »

There's no point in antogonizing Turkey any further with these threats, as much as I hate to say it.  Erdogan has won, and we're probably stuck with him until he dies.  We need Turkey in NATO, they're too important right now.

A dictatorship has no place in NATO or in the EU.

Of course if they were consistent about that they should also kick out Hungary and threaten to kick out Poland, but something is better than nothing.

Frankly I don't think the NATO higher ups care who's in the alliance as long as they're willing to counterbalance against Russia.

It's pretty clear now that ISIS is a bigger threat than Russia, and US diplomacy has already taken actions that reflect that. And when it comes to ISIS, Turkey has been a huge part of the problem.

Turkey's fulfillment of democratic standards was never an issue in more than 60 years of NATO membership. Voices claiming that Turkey should be spelled from NATO point its unreliability as Western ally in the fight against ISIS, not democracy. As for the EU membership, such possibility stopped dead in its tracks many years ago and disappointment on Turkish side contributed to put an end to the reformist impulse of Erdogan's first years. On the other hand, voices inside Turkey claim that NATO membership "shackles" its potential as a regional and global power. I doubt it's in the NATO interests expelling Turkey, given that the country is still of great geostrategic importance both in the Middle East and as a counterbalance against Russia. A Turkey outside the alliance could adopt more aggressive and nationalistic policies that would destabilize the region to greater degrees. Maybe ISIS is regarded as a bigger threat than Russia in the short term, but not in the middle or the long term. Things could be even worse than they are now. Consider the terrifying scenario of a Donald Trump presidency. I don't want to imagine what might happen if Trump (who has clear symptoms of insanity) quarrels with Vladimir Putin (who is a criminal, but is not crazy). Arguably in the Trump scenario the very existence of the NATO would be compromised.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies