Will the religious left become more important than the religious right? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:32:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the religious left become more important than the religious right? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the religious left become more important than the religious right?  (Read 1054 times)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« on: June 19, 2016, 11:58:15 AM »
« edited: June 19, 2016, 12:02:10 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

By its very nature, a religious left movement would most likely target social and economic inequality more than anything else, which is already central to the Democratic platform, so I have a difficult time seeing them act as a special interest group the same way the religious right has. What I think might be more likely is that religion becomes disentangled from any attempts to politicize its values and focuses on utilizing church communities for local civic engagement.

That would be a much more welcome use of church resources than attempting to instill Christian virtues for society at large via legislation. I'm pleased to see that bullsh*t looking like it's on the way out.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »

Neither will be particularly important.

The fastest growing and most influential, in the future, block are the 'Nones', which make up according to Pew, 36% of the 'Millennial' electorate and 1 in 4 of the general electorate. They may be a bigger voting block than the evangelicals this election cycle.

I don't think, having grown up during the 'moral panic' tinged religiously orientated campaigns of the 90's to now, younger people are going to be drawn to religious identity politics regardless of political hue.

You're assuming they stay 'nones' into adulthood and parenthood.  That is a big assumption.  It's pretty clear to me that people get more religious as they age (not more conservative, just more religious).  Plenty of former hippies and beatniks are now in the pews regularly.

That's actually an assumption in itself. Most evidence currently indicates that the current religious unaffiliation and secularism among Millenials is likely a generational trait. If they do become more religious as they age, the effect will be significantly less than it was in previous generations.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies