The Ebola Thread (US Domestic) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:16:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Ebola Thread (US Domestic) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Ebola Thread (US Domestic)  (Read 8340 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: October 19, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »

Of course we should institute a travel ban on majorly affected nations. Anybody who's even so much as played Pandemic knows this is the first step. I have yet to hear a serious argument as to why we shouldn't. We now have multiple Ebola cases in America explicitly because of our refusal to take this necessary step.

Containment is the first step to resolving this.

Of course.  Design decisions made in the service of having a playable board game with simple and engaging mechanics should totally be taken as expert advice from actual epidemiologists.  Makes perfect sense.  Roll Eyes

This is the same principle by which Risk proved that control of Australia is the most important step towards control of the world; or, to get even nerdier, how Twilight Struggle proved that domino theory was correct*.

*never mind that the designer of Twilight Struggle was forthright about how it was adopted for the purpose of gameplay (or at best a window into the minds of people who actually believed it) rather than perfect historical verisimilitude...
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »

Of course.  Design decisions made in the service of having a playable board game with simple and engaging mechanics should totally be taken as expert advice from actual epidemiologists.  Makes perfect sense.  Roll Eyes

This is the same principle by which Risk proved that control of Australia is the most important step towards control of the world; or, to get even nerdier, how Twilight Struggle proved that domino theory was correct.

A.) That's not my point and you know it. I also noticed you still haven't actually pointed out why such a ban is a bad idea.

B.) I wasn't talking about the board game. I was talking about the computer version, it's similar but you play as the virus and try to kill as many as possible.

A: I actually have, just in a different thread.

B: Oh!  That makes so much difference!  My point is demolished!

Good gravyRoll Eyes
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2014, 04:05:35 PM by traininthedistance »

Here's a good exploration of how our lizard brains are responding to Ebola: with the sort of increased xenophobia and disgust that perhaps once made good evolutionary sense, but has become maladaptive (to say the least) in today's society.

And of course it includes the study about how Purell makes you conservative.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies