Paul says he will now prioritize stopping Trump (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:04:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Paul says he will now prioritize stopping Trump (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paul says he will now prioritize stopping Trump  (Read 1502 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 16, 2016, 11:18:35 AM »

A foolish move for Paul.  If he's going to drop out of the race, he should do so honestly and concentrate on his re-election to the Senate.

I don't agree that a Trump nomination ensures a crushing defeat for the GOP.  It may well produce a map-expanding victory.  Trump's that much of a wild card, and that works both ways.  But if he is the new Goldwater '64, Paul would be wiser to say nothing and let events play out.  He could always fall back on statements to the effect that he will vote for the GOP nominee, but campaign only for himself.  As I have trouble imagining Trump (if nominated) losing Kentucky, I don't see where Paul is at risk here at all.

I certainly view Rand Paul's reelection to the Senate as important.  Rand Paul is not the maverick Ron Paul is, but he's still a good deal more anti-war and measured than many of the GOP contenders.  I wonder, though, if Paul realizes that Trump's views on war are much closer to his views than many of the Establishment candidates' views. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies