Opinion of Black Lives Matter (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:55:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Black Lives Matter (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of this movement?
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Opinion of Black Lives Matter  (Read 6973 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: August 16, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »

Lean neutral. Like many things, it's a good cause, but they kind of miss the point. I agree that police brutality is a terrible problem, and that blacks receive a somewhat larger than proportional share of it, but I hate how they paint white people in general as the villain.

Making it about race is their first problem. Maybe it gets more clicks, but it gets less progress. Make it about criminal justice reform.

Is that a bad thing? When the police is as F'd up as our police is now, being against it doesn't sound bad.

I agree with these posts:

A little bit of both. On the whole, I'd say slightly negative but the movement is certainly right about the fact that there is an endemic of unnecessary killings of unarmed young black men by police.

But overall, I'm not a fan.  I think we all think that some cops are out of control and overly aggressive.  I think we also support some degree of police reform, depending on the jurisdiction.  But, I think the movement is focusing on the wrong things.  I think Black Lives Mater is too emotional and focused on individual people, and not focused on policy or solutions.  You see a lot of the same problems as Occupy Wall Street.  It's a movement that's intensely angry about a disparity, but that's where it ends.

I agree with all of bedstuy's post, actually, I just only chose one paragraph of it so I don't take up the entire screen with quoting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies