Opinion of Corbyn's proposal for Grenfell victims (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:17:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Corbyn's proposal for Grenfell victims (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of seizing private properties not in use to house the victims
Freedom Idea

Horrible Idea

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Opinion of Corbyn's proposal for Grenfell victims  (Read 1299 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 19, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »

... Not if you actually read the story and believe in civilian resistance from corrupt and oppressive magistrates.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:59:01 PM »

RFayette, I have a lot of respect for you, but it's dismaying that you've (in my view) over-committed to right-wing ideology to the point where you're criticizing folk heroes from eight hundred years ago for not being loyal Reaganite drones. You don't see me saying King Arthur is "bad too" for being a non-constitutional monarch.

I understand where you're coming from, but what I meant was that the popular idea of Robin Hood - stealing from the rich to give to the poor - is not noble, as theft is fundamentally wrong, even if the targets of said theft are not the most savory characters.  It's not about ideology per se (though my instincts are generally anti-redistribution), but rather the unlawful means the character took to advance them. In this sense, I see Robin Hood as worse than Corbyn, because Corbyn, should this pass, is at least going through legal channels.  As someone who views the right to property as pretty absolute, I find proposals such as Corbyn's troubling (though this is not my biggest problem with his, as it's his views on foreign policy and terrorism I personally find by far the most execrable), the whole idea of Robin Hood of the popular imagination as a "good guy" is concerning.   I see it the same way as how Depression-era banks likely were guilty of malfeasance, but this in no way makes John Dillinger any kind of hero, and putting lawbreakers, fictional or real, on a pedestal is the wrong way to go.

You do know the regime/elite he stole from literally blinded people who tried to not starve because the regime/elite took all their money, correct?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies