Only rich folks go to Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:09:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Only rich folks go to Congress
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Only rich folks go to Congress  (Read 4281 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 10:51:54 AM »

I don't think it's strange that professions with higher qualifications would be overrepresented in a parliament.

The interesting question, to me, would rather be class background. Can you come from a working class family, become a lawyer/CEO/whatever and then have a career?

Agreed, that's a much more interesting question
. I would love to see some studies on that (would be fascinating to see how various Western countries compare).

Why?

Anyway, we have two variables here: income/wealth and education, which are not necessarily overlapping. The original question was about wealth as a (usual) requirement for a political career in the US, not educational background.

Secondly the general question about social mobility, that Gustav raised (becoming a CEO, lawyer etc.), is not necessarily related to access to parliament. By broadening the topic to general social mobility you get a much more blurred and unfocused discussion (which is also outside of the purpose of this thread).

If you guys wanna discuss social mobility in general you should create a separate thread for that.

Um, ok. But you realize that it's hard to imagine a system in which say a homeless crack addict would run a successful political campaign? That's an extreme example, but someone who has no resources, social or economic nor experience in say leading people or managing anything would be disadvantaged in the realm of politics. That is hardly strange. And I believe this tends to be true in most countries. The difference in Scandinavia is rather that we have more professional politicians who haven't had a private sector job since they were 14 or something.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »

This is fine by me. What I've seen of "average Joe and Jane" candidates since 2008 has been less than impressive.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2014, 05:14:42 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2014, 06:48:59 AM by politicus »

I don't think it's strange that professions with higher qualifications would be overrepresented in a parliament.

The interesting question, to me, would rather be class background. Can you come from a working class family, become a lawyer/CEO/whatever and then have a career?

Agreed, that's a much more interesting question
. I would love to see some studies on that (would be fascinating to see how various Western countries compare).

Why?

Anyway, we have two variables here: income/wealth and education, which are not necessarily overlapping. The original question was about wealth as a (usual) requirement for a political career in the US, not educational background.

Secondly the general question about social mobility, that Gustav raised (becoming a CEO, lawyer etc.), is not necessarily related to access to parliament. By broadening the topic to general social mobility you get a much more blurred and unfocused discussion (which is also outside of the purpose of this thread).

If you guys wanna discuss social mobility in general you should create a separate thread for that.

Um, ok. But you realize that it's hard to imagine a system in which say a homeless crack addict would run a successful political campaign? That's an extreme example, but someone who has no resources, social or economic nor experience in say leading people or managing anything would be disadvantaged in the realm of politics. That is hardly strange. And I believe this tends to be true in most countries. The difference in Scandinavia is rather that we have more professional politicians who haven't had a private sector job since they were 14 or something.

Any reason why you can't conduct a serious debate? Your tone is very condescending (such as using absurd examples) and you are using strawman arguments. If you are going to continue I suggest you quote the things you disagree with and why, so we at least have some common ground.

Leadership and policy making experience can be obtained in a wide range of sectors. Business experience is generally not the best background for successful political leadership  and people with business background will have a particular outlook that is generally pro-elite/vested interests no matter their social background.

Scandinavia has produced a number of excellent political leaders with a non-academic background in trade unions and farmer organizations, your current PM Stefan Løfven is a recent example.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies