HI 2014 Congressional Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:47:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 48789 times)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 23, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »

I really don't like this from a political viewpoint, but she will win. The Japanese have a culture of strong respect, and when an elder's will is dictated, then it's strictly adhered to.

Here's to hoping Schatz goes for HI-1.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:16:35 AM »

Endorsed.

Lets hope Inouye's wish is finally realized.

But... Why? Yeah, Inouye was a legend in Hawaiian politics, but he had his own interests, and Hanabusa served those interests.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with Schatz.

See my last post. I'm guessing she's running to "right the wrong" Abercrombie made against Inouye and his last wishes.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »

See my last post. I'm guessing she's running to "right the wrong" Abercrombie made against Inouye and his last wishes.

So?  Inouye doesn't get to dictate who should keep his seat after he leaves.

Not repeating myself. The people get to dictate who gets the seat, and the people seem to be leaning towards Hanabusa.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:04:18 PM »

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood (sounded like you supported the idea).

Gotcha. Consider this my endorsement of Schatz.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »

But I want a funny named Senator to be there, especially since Mike Crapo is probably going to go down in a firey primary after his drunk driving or not even run. I endorse Brian Schatz!
Isn't Risch up this year though?
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »

God damnit.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »

He looks like such a hoagie in this picture.

...he looks like a sandwich?

Color me puzzled too.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »

Al Gore has endorsed Schatz.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 12:28:48 AM »

No. Schatz is a great Senator and I'm looking forward to his service.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 08:11:54 AM »

I haven't been following this race as much as the mainland, but why did Hanabusa even decide to go for Senate in the first place apart from her original killer +20 point lead over Schatz as opposed to running for Governor against Abercrombie? Abercrombie has had constant low approval's in the 40's ever since appointing Schatz over Hanabusa for Sen. Inouye's old seat.

Granted Hanabusa would stand a better chance at defeating Abercrombie than David Ige, it may have been better if they swapped simply because it was because of Abercrombie why Schatz got in which should make Hanabusa want to go after him more and Hanabusa is going to have to give up her seat while Ige doesn't. It just seems those two and the Hawaii Democratic Party at large has more to gain from getting Hanabusa to easily primary Abercrombie, prevent the Republicans from taking the Governor's seat while still holding a job after giving up her House seat, and still give Ige a decent chance at beating Schatz.

For the same reason why Liz Cheney ran: because she wants to.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »

Not really. She's basically running because she feels entitled to the seat. I'll give her more leeway because like I said before, it's more of a cultural thing, but it's taking resources away from other close races like Georgia or Alaska.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »

Are you out of your mind? We need her in Washington! Just look at what happened a few months after the late Shelley Berkley lost her seat in Congress.

>attacks another poster for not supporting her candidate
>defends a corrupt congresswoman even when she has a better candidate replacing her

And yes, it is a cultural thing. Japanese culture is much more centered around elders than American culture, so when the face of Hawaiian politics tells you who to appoint and you deny it, you'll feel entitled to run. It's not racism, it's the f***ing culture, and it's certainly better to spend money helping Nunn or Landrieu or Begich out than to help whoever in the primary the DSCC supports.

Please know what you're talking about before you start throwing barbs.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 01:28:55 PM »

SawxDem is convincing me to send money to Hanabusa's campaign.

You two would get along well anyways, considering you're both barely Democrats.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »

I don't think Becca is being illiterate; I just think she's being troll. She's saying this rating proves Schatz is a DINO/not a true leftist, acknowledges Hanabusa was rated to his right but thinks, for whatever reason, that she'd move drastically to the left if/when she's in the Senate.

Yeah, I'm not sure if she's serious either.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 06:09:53 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2013, 10:32:29 PM by Your new baseball overlord »

And Mercado Kim is anti-gay marriage, anti-minimum wage increase, and promoted a Monsanto executive to the state's Water Commission.

Almost tempts me to go with Djou if he runs again. At least he admits he's a Republican.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 10:59:04 PM »

Probably. She's to the right of Miles.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:50 AM »

People may not know this, but Kim is also pro-choice and used to be a Planned Parenthood official!
She can get the Emily's List endorsement which would help her immensely in the primary.

And apparently she voted for emergency contraception, unlike Hanabusa. Would vote for someone closer to Patsy Mink, but she's outside of DINO territory now.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 04:26:14 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2013, 04:44:03 AM by Sawx. »

Emily's List is a total joke.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because having the incumbent progressive Senator Brian Schatz win re-election instead of a much more conservative Democrat is totally a victory for Mitch McConnell.

Emily's List became a joke when they endorsed the candidate who voted against emergency contraception in the Senate over the candidate who sponsored it in the House. How a pro-choice organization can endorse a candidate whose views are to the right of another one is beyond me. I honestly don't see how she deserves this endorsement whatsoever.

I'm personally not enthused about any of the Democrats in the HI-01 race, and I'm currently rooting for Ikaika Anderson because he hasn't given me a reason to dislike him yet.

I'm backing Kathryn Xian (the most progressive candidate). No idea about the other 4 (Espero, Chang, Takai, and Anderson), but she seems more progressive. I don't care who gets in, just as long as it's not DMK or Mufi. I wouldn't mind right-wing Democrats in swing districts, but this really isn't a good district for a right-winger. I also have no idea why Mufi's a Dem.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 09:22:51 PM »

Inouye is not a god.

I am a Schatz supporter. Hanabusa reminds me of Ro Khanna in California, believing that she is entitled to the seat. Schatz has more potential than Hanabusa ever will.

^ This.

She's part of the "New Democrat" coalition.

@ http://my.firedoglake.com/paiagirl/2013/05/27/dino-challenges-progressive-sen-brian-schatz/

If you're actually a Republican who, 10 or 20 years ago, decamped to the Democratic side and don't want liberal social and political policies, "New Democrats," who have no ideology, is right up (or down) your alley.

In that case, Colleen Hanabusa would be it.

Maybe we can elect moderate heroes in actual moderate/conservative states or districts. But in the second most liberal state in the nation? Plus she's a hawk too who only seems to be running because she wants it.

Time to knock Colleen Cheney out of politics.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:17 PM »

I don't see the problem with EMILY's List supporting Hanabusa either. Sorry, but even if a man votes the right way 100% of the time, he'll never care about womens issues as much as a woman with the same beliefs does. They may be sincere in their beliefs, but they'll never have the experience of being a woman.

It's the same for anything - civil rights, gay rights, whatever. If you live it, your passion will be more focused on that issue.

And they only exist to get pro-choice women elected so I don't see why it's so outrageous anyway. Schatz supporters creating controversy out of nothing.

I'll agree with your first point here. I will never have as much experience on women's rights as someone like you. That being said, some women decide to vote the wrong way on this issue. Hanabusa very well could have overridden Governor Lingle's veto on contraception, but she didn't. Schatz championed it since Hanabusa entered politics.

It's outrageous because they're siding with the right-wing candidate in the pro-choice debate. I'm not going to sit here and act like the average friendzoned fedora-wearing MRA and cry about "LE MISANDRY" over it, but EMILY's List is hurting the cause here, especially when they're presenting Schatz as a Republican and trying to tie him to Mitch McConnell.

Schatz's goal was to be the next Patsy Mink. I'm sure you're familiar with her: one of the greatest advocates for women in Congressional history, mother of Title IX, and the woman who led the charge for equality in education. Your favorite candidate was the one who nearly tried to primary her because she wasn't strong enough on defense and too sympathetic to unions (something that's actually to the right of Manchin). She constantly trumpeted the fact that she was to the right of Mink. Hanabusa ran against the legacy of the greatest advocate for women's rights in modern history. Schatz ran to continue it. You can think that Hanabusa's going to be a better Senator than Schatz. That's a matter of opinion. But I don't know how you can sit there and say that she's a better advocate for women than Schatz.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »

Sad to see Takei endorse the opportunist over the freedom fighter.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 03:53:07 AM »

Hanabusa must really be getting desperate on the environmental issue...

She's trying to spin the LCV having a 96% rating and Schatz not having one yet as her being better on the environment... except for the fact that the LCV endorsed Schatz.

Hanabusa seems about as upset as BeccaM is that she's not being taken seriously by progressives.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »

You're the one who's been all over my ass about Schatz. It's time I got in the first blow.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »

Did not know Hanabusa thought Murray-Ryan went too far.

This pleases me. My endorsement still stands, but this gives me much more faith that she'll stand with us if Schatz loses.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 09:35:45 PM »

If Hanabusa wins, then it's all but confirmed Gabbard will succeed her, but she'll probably retire closer to 2026 or 2032 than 2020, and if she leaves, it'll be for a cabinet post (possibly VetAff). She's not going into a bloody primary for one term.

To give her credit, she's moved to the left, and like I said, she'd be perfect if someone like her ran in a state like Iowa or even Michigan, but she's not progressive enough for somewhere like Hawaii. Although her lifetime vote% is a 90%, her lifetime crucial vote % drops to an 80%, which would put her around the 34th-36th most progressive Senator if that holds up (right next to Klobuchar and above Feinstein, actually).
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies