How racially diverse was your high/secondary school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:25:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How racially diverse was your high/secondary school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: How racially diverse was your high/secondary school?  (Read 3668 times)
kyc0705

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »
« edited: September 11, 2016, 06:36:53 PM by kyc0705 »

I just checked the NCES data from the 2013–14 year (I was a freshman then), and the composition of the school was 50% white, 35% black, 9% Hispanic, 3% Asian, 3% misc.

Now, it's about the same, maybe slightly less white (more black and Hispanic students, mainly).
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2016, 10:24:14 PM »

NCES for my high school (for 2013-2014) shows 46% white, 35% black, 10% Asian, 7% Hispanic, 1% other. Sounds about right, from what I can remember.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2016, 07:18:47 PM »

My high school was at least 2/3rds black. The young population in the city was about evenly mixed but there were multiple white flight opportunities that drained off enough whites to skew the high school. The segregation within classes was bad. My senior year there were 0 black people in my AP English, Biology, or Government classes and I was the only or almost the only white person in regular placement math and science classes I was taking to fill my schedule. I was on the newspaper which was majority black staff; the yearbook was like 30 rich white dicks.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2016, 07:21:24 PM »

My high school was essentially 95% white. My university is much more diverse but still probably about 80% white.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2016, 10:45:57 PM »

Speaking of racial segregation at schools, it was clear at my school - if you were interested in Japanese or French classes, you were 9/10 white, my Japanese classes were 90% white at least with one or two Asian or Black kids, but the Spanish class next door had an almost entirely black student body.

The IT classes TV Production classes I took were also majority white (even though whites are ~40-45% of the student body) and the art classes along with design classes were majority minority.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »

For suburban Seattle, not terrible. Lots of Chinese and Indian kids, almost all second or third generation. More black students than you'd expect. Some Hispanics, most dropped out when they got pregnant. Lots of standard wayward "bored" white teenagers. Fairly large contingent of Eastern European, particularly Russian, kids who were kind of their own "Euro" click that this nerdy Swede was never welcome in
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2016, 02:35:04 AM »

There isn't data about this. But by the time I graduated I think it would have been something like this.

75% white
20% East Asian (Chinese/Korean)
5% Others
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2021, 12:00:13 AM »

White: 72.9%
Asian: 18.7%
Two or more races: 4.6%
Hispanic: 2.3%
African American: 1.3%
American Indian: 0.3%

My middle school is 70% white and 20% Asian, the Asians are mostly Indian and I have a feeling that the Asian population has increased by a decent amount from when I was in Kindergarten to now.

Looking at some website I found out that the population of my elementary school when I was in Kindergarten was

White: 82.5%
Asian 10.7%
Two or more races: 3.9%
African American: 1.8%
Hispanic 0.9%
American Indian: 0.5%

the website I mentioned
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2021, 12:22:36 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2021, 12:27:42 AM by Dr. MB »

Somewhere around 55% white, 30% asian/mixed asian, 10% hispanic/latino, 5% black or other

I'm quite curious, especially about the phenomena that is sometimes observed of auto-segregation. My schooling was fairly mixed - there was definitely cliques that skewed disproportionally Chinese or Ghanian or Greek or Indian; but I don't think there was any outright segregation. Is this different in America? Like are there black cliques and white cliques and Hispanic cliques?

We didn't really experience this. It exists to a small degree with certain friend groups but definitely never extended to the entire school and pretty much everyone had at least a couple friends outside their race.

The true segregation was the gender divide in PE classes. I took strength training sophomore year and there were only 2 girls in that class while yoga (same period as us) had only 3 or 4 guys.

Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2021, 12:43:46 AM »

79% percent white, substantial number of hispanic, pacific islander, and asian kids, almost no black kids. Guy I was friends with in HS posted a twitter thread a few months ago of racially insensitive yearbook comments they'd gotten and it was kinda astounding how many comments they got treating the fact that they were asian as the most notable thing about them.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2021, 12:55:05 AM »

99.9% white

Ironically my college classes were extremely diverse for Spanish standards. Which means they were about 70-75% white Tongue

There were a handful of Moroccans in class, another handful of Latin Americans and a couple Subsaharan African students from Equatorial Guinea. My degree for some reason had quite a bit of diversity
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2021, 01:30:03 AM »

longpost about race in suburban Platte County, MO high schools:

My high school is supposedly 73% white according to NCES. That seems really low to me, I would have guessed over 80% for sure, but I think that might be the product of my own particular path through school. I don't remember there being a particularly large amount of self-segregation within classes, but there definitely was a pattern of the more academically advanced classes (AP classes, etc) being wealthier and whiter, so as an obsessive overachiever (I took life way too seriously at the time), I was in disproportionately white and wealthy classes. At one point there was a mixup in my schedule that ended up with me taking College Algebra B (one semester, half of the College Algebra class at a slower pace), and I was shocked by the magnitude of the cultural difference in that class (even though that class was still very white). It was a very strange sort of "ohhh, so this is where the stuff in high school movies comes from" moment.

Outside of classes, in general social settings, there was a bit of a tendency for most of the black students to sort of form their own insular group, while all other racial groups were very integrated. There was no animosity or hostility here, and few people even acknowledged it, even though everyone was aware of it. Honestly, it almost seemed like the black students wanted to isolate themselves (please remember that this is my very subjective impression here). The black students who didn't "de-integrate(?)" themselves were noticeably "less culturally black" (I'm sorry, but I just can't come up with any better way to describe this) than the rest. I'm referring to things like dialect (they spoke more General American as opposed to AAVE), music, and so on.

I'm realizing now as I'm writing this that this lived experience of mine has probably influenced me a lot more than I thought it had. I've made several posts on here about how I think it might be better to think of "the American racial binary" not as "white/nonwhite" but rather as "nonblack/black," at least in some regions (regions without a lot of Hispanics?). I still think that, but I probably shouldn't be saying it so confidently.

There were two high schools in the area. The other one was something like 60% white, and everyone was very aware of the demographic difference between the two. The school I went to is perceived as socioeconomically diverse and racially homogeneous, while the other school is perceived as the reverse (racially diverse and almost universally the-exact-center-of-middle-class). This difference has become the subject of jokes and stereotypes in the community. My high school was simultaneously stereotyped as "ritzy" and "trashy," which was funny at times.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2021, 01:44:33 AM »

If you grow up with money in America, especially in big metro area suburbs, your school is white with Asians, who for all intents and purposes are now culturally in the same lane as whites (with exceptions obviously.) If you were lower middle class or below, like me, your school was either entirely white (rural) or majority black and/or Latino with some whites (urban areas, depending on the region of the country.)
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2021, 01:44:55 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2021, 10:43:22 AM by khuzifenq »

Somewhere around 55% white, 30% asian/mixed asian, 10% hispanic/latino, 5% black or other

That makes sense given which high school you went to and how the racial demographics of our area have changed in the last decade or so. Edit: it also seems like there has been some shifting of enrollment boundaries- some of the people in my birth cohort who went to my school would’ve gone to yours if they were born in your year.

My high school was 49% White, 22% Asian/Pacific Islander, 17% Latino, 4% Black, and 6% Mixed Race/Other when I went there. The White and Black percentages have since decreased by ~20%, while the Latino and Asian percentages have increased by ~20%. The percentage of students who qualify for free/discounted lunch is in the mid to high 20s, and has been in that range since my first year there.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2021, 01:50:58 AM »

Mine was at least 95% white, by my estimate.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2021, 04:06:38 AM »

Based on skimming through an old facebook group, my high school year was about 70-75% white, with most of the rest being split fairly equally between black and Arab (including sephardi jewish); and a smaller number of Turkish, Persian, Indian/Sri Lankans, Vietnamese/Chinese and Latinoamericans.

The overwhelming majority were either immigrants or the children of immigrants though, lots of Italians and Portuguese.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2021, 06:16:09 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2021, 12:25:04 PM by Drew »

I haven’t been there for 15 years now and the numbers may have changed, but the latest data from 2019 shows 74% White, 14% Asian, 8% Hispanic, 2% Black, 2% Two or more races, about 0% Native, Islander, or Other.

My college (undergrads, and again things may have changed in the past decade) is 58.6% White, 21.3% Black, 13.1% Hispanic, 1.9% Unknown, 1.2% Asian, 1.1% “International”, 0.2% Native.  Like Ferguson97, I’m wondering why they split out international students.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2021, 07:31:23 AM »

High school: 90% white, 4% Hispanic, 5% Asian, 1% Black

College: 38% white, 13% Hispanic, 28% Asian, 7% Black, 9% “international”, 6% other/mixed

Dunno why my school includes international students as their own race
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »

probably was 100% white, i don't remember any different color skin
the humans have not races
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »

60% white
35% black
5% other
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2021, 10:29:56 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2021, 01:32:05 AM by Del Tachi »

Black:  65 percent
White:  32 percent
Asian:  2 percent
Latino:  1 percent

73% free/reduced lunch

I had the experience of attending K-12 public schools in a small college town where pretty much all of the White/Asian students' families were affiliated with the university through employment.  This led to an even-larger-than-normal achievement gap because of how  these university families tended to be.  This manifested itself in my school having the state's most developed IB/AP program despite being in the bottom 50% of test scores. 
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2021, 10:37:55 AM »

These are the statistics I found on wikipedia (Yeh, I guess the racial composition of my high school is on wikipedia) for the 2019-20 school year, so this would have been 3-4 years after I graduated. I imagine they haven't changed that much though.

White - 60.2%
Latino - 23.0%
Asian - 6.0%
Multi-racial - 6.0%
Black - 2.0%
Pacific Islander - 1.9%
American Indian - 0.7%

Other than black people being under-represented (Oregon normal), these statistics actually match quite closely with the national racial statistics, which I find surprising.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2021, 11:32:54 AM »

We don't have racial statistics but based on my memory and on skimming my yearbooks I would say my high school was like 97% White with the remainder being mixed. I think this makes it not particularly diverse even by Italian standards and even more so by my city's standards.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »

Not remotely. My graduating class of about 6:50 was literally over 98% white, with perhaps 2 or 3 black students plus a handful of Asians.

I was pleasantly surprised to see in local papers that the students held a fairly well attended BLM Is rally this past year, and the school whose student poll went 75% for Reagan in 1984--- Exactly 2 out of 3 girls and 5 out of 6 boys -Voted for Biden last year . As in actual election not the school election, which I am assuming would have been even more favorable for Biden.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2021, 12:36:19 PM »

I went to a private school. No blacks but a lot of Hispanics, a few Asians, and a large Egyptian Muslim family sent all their kids there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies