Religious Freedom in Missouri bill dies in committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:43:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Religious Freedom in Missouri bill dies in committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Religious Freedom in Missouri bill dies in committee  (Read 2126 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 03:15:46 PM »

If anyone ever starts a sentence with "If you're really a 'Christian', you believe..." it's best to ignore the river of bullsh**t that is about to come flooding down upon you.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 04:15:05 PM »

Well, you guys see, a lot of people believe that homosexuality is a sin and don't want to support any of it. Because religion is the main reason people oppose homosexuality, religious people want their ability to practice what they believe. Forcing people to go against their religion isn't a good thing. (most of the time, some cults believe that vaccines are bad and support polygamy, but they aren't as vocal in their oppositions)

I don't think this statement is true at all. Yes, there are a few people who completely devote themselves to the tenets of their denomination and oppose homosexuality equally to all other beliefs, but the vast majority think that being gay is gross and just use their religion as a shield.

If you've ever had premarital sex, gotten drunk, stolen, lied, skipped church, etc., your claim that other people having secular gay marriages recognized by the government is deeply offensive to your religious beliefs doesn't hold a lot of water.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »

Well, you guys see, a lot of people believe that homosexuality is a sin and don't want to support any of it. Because religion is the main reason people oppose homosexuality, religious people want their ability to practice what they believe. Forcing people to go against their religion isn't a good thing. (most of the time, some cults believe that vaccines are bad and support polygamy, but they aren't as vocal in their oppositions)

I don't think this statement is true at all. Yes, there are a few people who completely devote themselves to the tenets of their denomination and oppose homosexuality equally to all other beliefs, but the vast majority think that being gay is gross and just use their religion as a shield.

If you've ever had premarital sex, gotten drunk, stolen, lied, skipped church, etc., your claim that other people having secular gay marriages recognized by the government is deeply offensive to your religious beliefs doesn't hold a lot of water.

Very true. Muh religion is just a shield for thinking gays are icky. Why don't you see any of them protesting divorce?
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 05:55:56 PM »

I know quite a few people who have done the aforementioned.

Also, don't you love the supposed anti-gay people who accuse the LGBT community of recruiting younger people? I was a kid at one point. No gay person ever tried to recruit me. Nor have I ever seen or read another gay person trying to convert a straight.

I have, however, seen the opposite. Hence conversion therapy.

People act like gays can't act civilized or control themselves. I'm heterosexual. I've seen a lot of beautiful women out in public in my lifetime. I'm pretty sure I could handle myself.

Also, in college, I had openly gay professors and openly gay classmates. Guess how many of them hit on me or anybody else? Zero.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 07:39:06 AM »

A good majority of Evangelical Christians also don't seem to understand that when Jesus died on the cross and redeemed all from their sins he fulfilled the Old Testament law and therefore the rules the OT set for people are no longer in effect.
True, but homosexuality is also condemned by Paul in the New Testament.  So is witchcraft, sorcery, lying, murder, theft, and countless other things that were forbidden in the OT laws.  The Jewish ceremonial laws were fulfilled when Jesus died, and I would agree that many of those laws are no longer in effect (e.g. prohibition against tattoos, not wearing clothing with more than one material. the Jewish feast days and sacrifices), but the moral standards of God's law remain the same.  No Christian in their right mind would say that it's OK to murder, steal, commit adultery, or violate any of the Ten Commandments except the Sabbath, which they make excuses for by trying to make it part of the ceremonial law instead of the Ten Commandments.  So while I don't think that Christians have to keep Passover or Yom Kippur or have to sacrifice goats, bulls, and sheep for sin offerings, I do believe there are basic moral standards that never change from OT times.

I am NOT defending or supporting these kind of bigoted, discriminatory bills guising as "religious freedom."  In fact, I believe they are a slippery slope that could lead to justification for other kinds of discrimination.  But to imply that homosexuality isn't a sin because Jesus' death fulfills the Old Covenant doesn't tell the whole story of what the Bible says about it.

Whether homosexuality is a sin or not is of no concern to me. The Bible is not the law of the land, and one can sin without breaking the law.
Agreed, which is why I oppose attempts to base all federal law on the Bible.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »

A good majority of Evangelical Christians also don't seem to understand that when Jesus died on the cross and redeemed all from their sins he fulfilled the Old Testament law and therefore the rules the OT set for people are no longer in effect.
True, but homosexuality is also condemned by Paul in the New Testament.  So is witchcraft, sorcery, lying, murder, theft, and countless other things that were forbidden in the OT laws.  The Jewish ceremonial laws were fulfilled when Jesus died, and I would agree that many of those laws are no longer in effect (e.g. prohibition against tattoos, not wearing clothing with more than one material. the Jewish feast days and sacrifices), but the moral standards of God's law remain the same.  No Christian in their right mind would say that it's OK to murder, steal, commit adultery, or violate any of the Ten Commandments except the Sabbath, which they make excuses for by trying to make it part of the ceremonial law instead of the Ten Commandments.  So while I don't think that Christians have to keep Passover or Yom Kippur or have to sacrifice goats, bulls, and sheep for sin offerings, I do believe there are basic moral standards that never change from OT times.

I am NOT defending or supporting these kind of bigoted, discriminatory bills guising as "religious freedom."  In fact, I believe they are a slippery slope that could lead to justification for other kinds of discrimination.  But to imply that homosexuality isn't a sin because Jesus' death fulfills the Old Covenant doesn't tell the whole story of what the Bible says about it.

Whether homosexuality is a sin or not is of no concern to me. The Bible is not the law of the land, and one can sin without breaking the law.
Agreed, which is why I oppose attempts to base all federal law on the Bible.

Any Republican who claimed to cherish the Constitution should feel the same way, they I get the feeling not all of them do.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 02:19:41 PM »

They do cherish the Constitution. They just interpret the Constitution as being written by conservatives. That's why the Constitution Party got its name.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 02:40:53 PM »

They do cherish the Constitution. They just interpret the Constitution as being written by conservatives. That's why the Constitution Party got its name.

Except what really counts as a conservative in those times? As long as amendments can be added to the Constitution, I wouldn't call it a strictly conservative document. I think a Christian conservative viewpoint is the Bryan Fischer's and Roy Moore's of the world think the First Amendment only applies to Christians, even though Christianity is not mentioned in the Constitution.

I think conservatives cherish the Constitution when it's convenient for them, because they sure do want to make new amendments and repeal the ones they don't like.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies