French terror attacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:00:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French terror attacks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: French terror attacks  (Read 29825 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good.
Foucaulf
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »

...why this sort of thing just keeps happening in France and not, for example, in Germany? Could it be that there's something awry with French society and its utter failure to achieve some degree of intergration for its sizeable North African minority? Could it be that laicité isn't the soundest foundation for a multi-ethnic society? If this attack is about anything other than some ridiculous losers donning a balaclava and a kalashnikov and yelling the takbir in a Paris street, it's surely about that.

Looking at your last post, you certainly agree there are material factors that would lead to an act like this. But what's the value of talking about "The main reasons" for various acts of segregation throughout France? The banlieues that have segregated French cities were not built under promoting secularism or anything. The looks given to minority French citizens are given out of strangeness more than anything. The recent wave of right-wing French mayors and their policies are done for the sake of economic interest and NIMBYism.

It's easy to think about "the real issue" during times like this, but I think that's a load of nonsense. Inefficient social planning compound to create unexpected outcomes. And the manifestations on the streets in France is as much a call to action to resolve something if we cannot agree on "THE thing".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »

Yes, the two murderers have apparently left their car and they're on the loose somewhere aroumd the village of Corcy. Hopefully this is coming to an end.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »

Police are now going from door to door in Corcy (which, according to Wikipedia, is rather small with 400 inhabitants):

The forest surrounding it and where they might hide is said to be "rather big".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2015, 01:24:56 PM »

Yes, the Retz Forest is one of the biggest of France (13000 hectares). It was the wood source for Paris, so it was tightly managed to stay huge, with a 150 years cycle in wood cutting. It's still used for wood-cutting, with 135 years cycles.

Might be quite hard to search, hopefully, there is National Forest Office officials which may help by knowing the forest well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2015, 04:17:45 PM »

The police is reportedly leaving the area. Still no idea where they'll go searching. The waiting is driving me crazy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »

The police is reportedly leaving the area. Still no idea where they'll go searching. The waiting is driving me crazy.
I remember the Boston bombing manhunt. It's quite an aggravating feeling isn't it?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »

Good old Viz:

http://viz.co.uk/curtains-al-qaida/
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2015, 04:57:27 PM »

I remember the Boston bombing manhunt. It's quite an aggravating feeling isn't it?

It is. Especially because I really wish to see them caught and tried. They need to answer for their crimes. They can't have it easy and die as martyrs. I want this act of barbarity end through civilization.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2015, 05:54:21 PM »

RAID and GIGN have returned to Paris. A few units have remained mobilized in Aisne just in case. Seems it was a wrong track. And I have to go to work tomorrow, and the attack was halfway between my home and work... I'm not a particularly easily frightened person, but I can confess I'll feel a bit safer when these two are thrown behind bars, or failing that, shot.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2015, 06:16:32 PM »

Mhm, at this point the only motive for them to continue running is the hope of creating a situation in which they can kill more police officers, right? Or to die through suicide by cop.

They should know that they can't possibly escape and they didn't choose to go the route of suicide bombers. So I guess they are currently trying to create even more terror until they are finally caught or killed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »

One of the brothers allegedly spent time in Yemen "associating with al Qaeda in that country":

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/08/politics/paris-suspects-al-qaeda-yemen/

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2015, 07:01:02 PM »

Video of the vigil in Martin Place

Isn't it interesting how some accuse others of grandstanding in one thread... are doing the same thing here.

The other issue that's interesting... the word immigrant keeps coming up, weren't the brothers French-born?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:48 PM »

The other issue that's interesting... the word immigrant keeps coming up, weren't the brothers French-born?

Yes, they were.

Also, apparently two cars exploded this evening in Villejuif. No idea if this is related.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2015, 07:43:49 PM »

When they continue, they should probably set up a security entrance system like they have it in the courts or in our parliament building, which you can't even enter if you have heavy weapons.
  They entered by forcing someone who had the keycode for the door to let them in.  Hard to see what more they could have done.  It simply isn't feasible to armor every single possible target a terrorist might want to target.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »

Isn't it interesting how some accuse others of grandstanding in one thread... are doing the same thing here.

I'm sorry that's really a stupid question, it really doesn't take a lot imagination to get why these two sons of immigrants is called immigrants and why a son and grandson of a immigrants like Sarkozy isn't.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »

I'm sorry that's really a stupid question, it really doesn't take a lot imagination to get why these two sons of immigrants is called immigrants and why a son and grandson of a immigrants like Sarkozy isn't.
Yes and that isn't a good thing. My mother is an immigrant and all of my grandparents are yet I'm not called an immigrant. These people are when they shouldn't be. Regardless of their skin colour or religion they are still French born.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2015, 08:02:47 PM »

And with respect, that's an unnecessary response.

I certainly wouldn't regard my friends with immigrant parents as immigrants... because they didn't emigrate. It equally shouldn't be about 'imagination' but actual status.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2015, 08:05:19 PM »

A very similar publication in some ways, though not as political.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »

It was a unnecessary question, which was only asked so you could be play smug when it was answered. As shown below.

BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »

*facepalm*
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »

Dude, please stop.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »

It was a unnecessary question, which was only asked so you could be play smug when it was answered. As shown below.

a) no it's not an unnecessary question - it's perfectly valid as I've never heard of a native-born citizen to being referred to as an immigrant.
b) that wasn't smug, but considering how ridiculous and rude you're being, I'm getting very close to it.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2015, 10:12:41 PM »

The concept of "second generation immigrant" (or even "third generation immigrant") is relatively widespread in several European countries. It is not logical, but is used to differentiate from the aboriginal population. Immigrant in this context only means ethnic minority.

Given that most ethnic minorities in Europe are descended from people immigrated during the last  50 years it makes some sense.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2015, 03:32:08 AM »

Oh Lord... Shootings were heard today in Dammartin-en-Goelle (East of Paris). Some witnesses talk about hostage takings. This madness must end.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies