What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:26:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)  (Read 41332 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:15:56 AM »

POINT BLANK [1967]

Lee Marvin is the man. The theory that the film is actually kind of a ghost story is intriguing.

Also, Angie Dickinson is a babe; another job well done by JFK.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »

Prometheus

Meh. Disappointing to say the least. The premise had a lot of good potential but the film turned out to be standard sci-fi fare (although I guess that makes sense considering the ending). I found most of the characters incredibly unlikable. Charlize Theron was particularly awful.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:13 AM »

Django Unchained

Pretty good. QT usually nails genre homage films and nailed the spaghetti western angle. The soundtrack was excellent, as were all of the performances. Not quite sure where it ranks on the QT hierarchy but time will tell.

I'm thinking I'm going to hit up Silver Linings Playbook or Zero Dark Thirty next depending on my mood.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:27:17 AM »

Silver Linings Playbook

Pretty good but maybe I went in with expectations a little too high because I didn't really get what the hype was. I was waiting for something to happen where I went "wow that's brilliant" but it never did. Still a good movie and I may be in love with Jennifer Lawrence.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »

No one told QT the Civil War didn't start until 1861? Unless I'm having a complete mental breakdown . . .

I suppose it's possible that in the Tarantino universe the Civil War started a year earlier (much like Hitler dying early in a crowded theater) but I'm not sure how that happens.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »

No one told QT the Civil War didn't start until 1861? Unless I'm having a complete mental breakdown . . .

I suppose it's possible that in the Tarantino universe the Civil War started a year earlier (much like Hitler dying early in a crowded theater) but I'm not sure how that happens.
I was thinking the same thing as I read it; but it's late in the year and the main part of the movie is in the next year, and of course the secession crisis also begun in late 1860, so with hindsight it's correct.

Still, I've always considered Fort Sumter in April 1861 the start of the Civil War, not the secession.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »

Safety Not Guaranteed

It was OK. Aubrey Plaza's monotone voice gets tiring after awhile.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »

Looper

It wasn't terrible. The concept was pretty cool but wasn't used to its fullest potential. The telekinetic thing was unnecessary.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »

The Contender

Decent. It got too idealistic for me, which is usually my problem with political movies and shows. That being said, it's a topical film. It's very easy to imagine something similar going on with these guys we have in congress now. I'm also not sure where the President's speech was supposed to occur in the end but it certainly wasn't the halls of Congress.

Also, Jeff Bridges is the boss. He should be president in every thing.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »

Seven Days in May

Classic Cold War political thriller. Frederic March plays an excellent President.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »

The Graduate

A true classic. Should be mandatory viewing upon graduation from college.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »

The Graduate

A true classic. Should be mandatory viewing upon graduation from college.

Somebody has TCM on!

My favorite station.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »

Inland Empire

I had to spread this one out over the course of a few days. I'm a fan of all of Lynch's work that I've seen but I'm not quite sure what I think of this one. I've gotta read up on it and how every thing pieces together. I also hate that the film looks like it was shot on a home digital camera.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »

This may not make sense unless you read the whole article and even then it still might not:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://xixax.com/halfborn/4.html
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »

The Master

Not bad. As someone who usually dislikes PSH, he was excellent.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »

It's really hard to get past Clerks horrendous acting, for me at least.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »

James Franco is why I have no desire to see it. Well that and the fact that Selena Gomez keeps her clothes on.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »

Lincoln

I didn't think it was exceptional, although DDL obviously was. I actually was pretty uninterested throughout the whole thing. It had some bad overly sentimental moments that are to be expected of Spielberg. I thought the last ten minutes was the best part of the film, although I think the address at the end was a bit anticlimactic.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 09:15:27 AM »

Anybody else a big fan of Roman Polanski? Love his dark, creepy, heady stuff. I saw a number of years ago The Nine Gates with Johnny Depp in which Depp plays a book dealer who gets sucked into a cult run by bored wealthy people. Really superb, one of his best films. A heady, creepy mystery.

Well, someone recommended to me Polanski's version of Macbeth from the early 1970s. I watched it and have to say that from the perspective of someone in the States it's one of the finest Medieval themed movies I have ever seen. I will watch it again. Really great. Dark and hyper realistic from the standpoint of locale and sets (filmed in Wales, I read). All the illusions Macbeth has and ghosts  that he sees and so forth are clearly a product of his mind, he clearly makes happen the prophecies, and best of all, it could easily be a 1940s Chicago or New York Godfather kind of deal. Really well done. The coronation scene of Macbeth looks a lot like stuff you see in artwork from the time, and there are places where the movie is really trippy. A+

The problem is that Polanski is too terrible of a person for that to be easily separated from his work. He is an extremely vile and disgusting individual.

. . . Huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski_sexual_abuse_case

...but personally, it's easy for me to separate that from his work. Chinatown is obviously one of the greatest films of all time.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 08:25:46 AM »

That doesn't mean he isn't a terrible, terrible human being though. End of.

Yea exactly. Same here.

I sincerely hope there's no one that believes liking his films is an endorsement of his despicable and horrid actions.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »

ARGO

Well made and enjoyable but Best Picture?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing Gravity - the reviews seem to be great, but what else do you expect from a Sandra Bullock movie?

I watched Hangover III last night, primarily because I watched the first two and felt it needed to be done. It was all right - better than the second one, but worse than the first.

Eh? Sandra Bullock has made many movies that received terrible reviews.

yea wait what
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »

The Wolf of Wall Street

Saw it a few days ago. Pretty enjoyable and I do have to apologize to BRTD, because it mostly is a comedy (albeit a very dark one).  It was extraordinarily long but I'm not sure what they could've cut out. The worst part was the shoehorned use of "Everlong" into one scene, which took place before the song was released and was just cringeworthy.

My biggest gripe about the movie is that it's going to lead some to idolize a really, really awful person who is probably still scamming people at this very moment. I'm also not convinced that all of the wild stuff that he claims happened (both in the film and the original book) actually took place. It's obviously hard to trust a person like that.

I would've liked to have seen more about the FBI's investigation, although that's probably not covered too much by the source material.

Still worthwhile if you've got the time. I'm looking forward to seeing American Hustle to compare the two.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »

Gangster Squad

Literally one of the worst movies I've seen in recent memory.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 10:35:08 PM »

The Place Beyond the Pines

Not bad. Liked the first half better than the second.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies