When will the first VP announcement be made, and who will make it? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:34:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  When will the first VP announcement be made, and who will make it? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will the first VP announcement be made, and who will make it?  (Read 6048 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« on: June 23, 2008, 11:25:53 AM »

So far, pretty much every announcement but Edwards '04 was within 10 days of the convention...especially on the Republican side, where Kemp '96 was I believe the first VP not chosen at the convention itself.

I doubt McCain will break with tradition, and I also doubt he wants to give up the strategic advantage he has in having a later convention...a momentary poll boost isn't worth giving up the chance to see who the Democratic VP is first before making the final decision.

Obama will pick sometime in August.  The Olympics makes it a slightly harder task than usual...if he doesn't pick in the first week of August, he has to either announce it during the Olympics or at the Convention itself.

McCain likely announces either on August 30th, or potentially earlier if Obama announces well before the Convention.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

A post I made back in March on the subject:

With the exception of Reagan's abortive bid to announce Schweiker in 1976, pretty much all VP's before 1984 were picked during the convention.  Mondale's 'historic' pick of Geraldine Ferraro was announced pre-convention, while the Republicans didn't start picking pre-convention until 1996, when Dole chose Kemp 2-3 days before the convention. 

Kerry's pick of Edwards nearly 3 weeks before the convention was unprecedented.  This year, it's unlikely (unless there's an unexpectedly early resolution or a compromise ticket) that the Democrats will pick a VP that early.  Republicans have a tradition of waiting it out...though McCain may pick earlier than a week before the convention if he feels he needs some free media.  In any event, considering the Republican convention is in September (and the previous week is dominated  by media attention for the Democratic Convention), there may be some pressure to pick a VP early.  So it could be...July, or August 18th-ish, or August 30th (if he wants to wait & see who the Democrats pick).

1984:
Announced: July 12
Convention: July 16 - 19

1988 (R):
Announced During the Convention

1988 (D):
Announced: July 13
Convention: July 18 - 21

1992:
Announced: July 9
Convention: July 13 - 16

1996:
Announced: August 10
Convention: August 12 - August 15

2000 (D):
Announced: August 7
Convention: August 14 - 17

2000 (R):
Announced: July 25
Convention: July 31 - August 3

2004:
Announced: July 6
Convention: July 26 - July 29

Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 02:26:50 PM »

I believe the Olympics end on the 24th, and the DNC begins on the 25th, so no room on that end of the spectrum.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies