Philly SHOCKED that new large soda tax is hurting consumers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:21:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philly SHOCKED that new large soda tax is hurting consumers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philly SHOCKED that new large soda tax is hurting consumers  (Read 2198 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: January 05, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »

The costs to get some product on the shelves and sold affect its retail price? Really? How can that be? Someone please explain it all to me. Thanks.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:46:33 PM »

Meanwhile the expensive coffees enjoyed by many of the culturally elite lefties does not face a similar price bump.

Coincidence?

(Awaiting "omg but muh venti iced pumpkin spice latte iz much healthier than a diet coke. Stupid poors!")

Nah, those syrup drinks are unhealthful garbage and deserve to be taxed too. Drinking a latte isn't really "elite behavior," though. There's a Starbucks in almost every automobile slum in this country.

There are good reasons to focus on soda, like Crabcake mentions - it's easier to specify which drinks are taxed, it's the largest category of sugary drinks, it's what children are most likely to consume. But there are also bad reasons, and you're right, the fact that it's politically easier to target unhealthy behaviors that are more common among poor Americans is one of them.

Are not sugar fee sodas (you know the "diet" ones), equally taxed?  Yeah, I know, those cause cancer and you will die a horrible death from them, but I digress. Anyway, this sugar thing seems like a stalking horse for deflection in my mind. But set me straight!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies