Should 'legalize marijuana' t-shirts be permitted on public school property?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:36:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should 'legalize marijuana' t-shirts be permitted on public school property?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should 'legalize marijuana' t-shirts be permitted on public school property?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Should 'legalize marijuana' t-shirts be permitted on public school property?  (Read 4353 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2006, 08:28:17 PM »

Vote
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 08:49:21 PM »

Yes.  It doesn't even really encourage drug use.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:20:22 PM »

Yes.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:02:02 PM »

My guess is that you wouldn't get arrested, but you would probably be made to change it.  Or expelled if you refused.  Probably the same would happen if you wore a shirt that said "Q:  what do you say if your TV starts levitating in the middle of the night?  A:  Drop it Nigga"

As a student I despised dress codes, whether they said I couldn't wear a shirt with a Pot leaf, a shirt that said "Drop it Nigga", or a shirt with Reagan's picture and the phrase "Asshole of the Month" on it.  (I actually had one of those which I ordered from Hustler Magazine.)  I remember a kid Kenny being asked to go home and change his shirt because he had no buttons on it and you could see his exposed chest.  I remember Mrs. Hartley actually sewing up a hole in my shirt that I got during lunch period when I was smoking a joint and the cherry dropped down and burned my shirt.  Dumbass.  I told her I ripped it in a fight, not wanting to admit to smoking weed to my teacher.  She seemed to buy it, which seems bizarre to me in retrospect.  I suppose that she was just letting me lie to her and not giving me grief.  She was pretty cool like that.  But cool or not, I wasn't comfortable that Mrs. Hartley felt the need to mother me like that, and I really despised the fact that Kenny was forced to put on a shirt that covered his belly and chest.  Nowadays, I don't much give a damn either way about dresscodes/uniforms.  Frankly, the older I get, the more comfortable I am with the idea of dress codes/uniforms.  I suspect there'll come a day that I'll be downright ecstatic about dresscodes and/or uniforms.  At the moment, I think I'm in the transition period during which I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 06:16:55 AM »

Not just the shirt, but the marijuana should be permitted!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 06:49:18 AM »

I don't see why not.  Unless the shirt is structured to somehow create a tangible disruption to classes, the idea alone that marijuana should be legalized is just as valid an opinion as any other.  As Alcon said, it's not even as if it's sanctioning minors to do drugs, anyway.  You can support the legalization of pot without supporting giving everyone access to it.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 07:26:51 AM »

Yes.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 07:49:04 AM »

Certainly. It argues a political point.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 08:04:02 AM »

the idea alone that marijuana should be legalized is just as valid an opinion as any other

agreed.  And like any opinion held by any person who has not yet reached the age of reason and wisdom, that opinion is meaningless and worthless and may generally be discounted, therefore the there should be no problem with the shirt.  Political slogans, racial slurs, and all the rest of the things children say are merely reflections of the familial subculture into which they're nurtured.  Still, this is not why I'm becoming more uniform-friendly as I grow older.  Of course at your age, and even well into my late 20s I'd have ranted against any uniform dress code as unnecessary authoritarianism.  But having reached a state of wisdom myself, I now understand that it is not the message on the shirt, but the distraction it can cause, that matters to grown-ups (i.e., the ones actually funding the education).  While I still think marijuana (along with other drugs, all gambling, prostitution, etc.) should be legal, I do not want our school students to continue to lag behind the students in other OECD countries in mathematics preparation, etc.  I think removal of distractions, political, sexual, or otherwise, is appropriate.  In fact, an appropriate school uniform should be baggy, white, and cover the entire body except for the eyes and hands, which are needed for performing the schoolwork and laboratory exercises. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 08:07:10 AM »

Of course at your age, and even well into my late 20s I'd have ranted against any uniform dress code as unnecessary authoritarianism.  But having reached a state of wisdom myself, I now understand that it is not the message on the shirt, but the distraction it can cause, that matters to grown-ups (i.e., the ones actually funding the education).  While I still think marijuana (along with other drugs, all gambling, prostitution, etc.) should be legal, I do not want our school students to continue to lag behind the students in other OECD countries in mathematics preparation, etc.  I think removal of distractions, political, sexual, or otherwise, is appropriate.  In fact, an appropriate school uniform should be baggy, white, and cover the entire body except for the eyes and hands, which are needed for performing the schoolwork and laboratory exercises. 

I think you missed the qualification of my statement in which I said "unless the shirt is structured to somehow create a tangible disruption to classes...".

Or, perhaps you simply felt that you agreed with me so much that you'd write an entire paragraph about it. Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 09:49:03 AM »

Of course at your age, and even well into my late 20s I'd have ranted against any uniform dress code as unnecessary authoritarianism.  But having reached a state of wisdom myself, I now understand that it is not the message on the shirt, but the distraction it can cause, that matters to grown-ups (i.e., the ones actually funding the education).  While I still think marijuana (along with other drugs, all gambling, prostitution, etc.) should be legal, I do not want our school students to continue to lag behind the students in other OECD countries in mathematics preparation, etc.  I think removal of distractions, political, sexual, or otherwise, is appropriate.  In fact, an appropriate school uniform should be baggy, white, and cover the entire body except for the eyes and hands, which are needed for performing the schoolwork and laboratory exercises. 

I think you missed the qualification of my statement in which I said "unless the shirt is structured to somehow create a tangible disruption to classes...".

Or, perhaps you simply felt that you agreed with me so much that you'd write an entire paragraph about it. Smiley

I would agree, except to note that the "structuring" need not take place; a shirt that says "criminalize tobacco,"  "Attend your place of worship regularly," "Support the Troops," or one with an American flag, could be just as disruptive.  I would argue that the shirt itself is not the problem, but the reaction of the student population is.  This is the theory behind school uniforms.

I have no objection to the shirt, unless, in that environment, it is disruptive.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 10:18:33 AM »

Shirts with overtly political messages probably aren't a good idea. Should it be allowed? as long as it meets the dress code in terms of siza and quality....myeh. 'm a uniform kinda guy. I don't support casual clothes in the first place, so I'm not going to say I could support this kind of shirt.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 06:03:45 PM »

I probably fall on the side that says as long as it's not an interuption to the teaching, there are bigger problems to deal with in schools. Like complying with NCLB until the thing can hopefully be deep-sixed some day. Of course I'm not one of these back-to-basics people: Eveything should be reading, writing, and arithmatic. Well, good luck preparing kids for college then if you're barely out of the 19th century in terms of philosophy of education.

However, I have no problems with dress codes and their enforcement - keeping in mind, of course, that most kids will push it as far as they can on a daily basis, I can easily imagine. If a shirt like that is deemed to be encouraging drug use or some illegal activity, then it's got to go.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 06:33:47 PM »

Yes, I think they should be allowed. The shirt is merely stating a political opinion, not encouraging illegal behavior.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies