Do you believe Creationism should be taught in public schools (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:03:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you believe Creationism should be taught in public schools (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe creationism should be taught in public schools
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 113

Author Topic: Do you believe Creationism should be taught in public schools  (Read 13603 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« on: November 28, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »

Yes because they deserve to here the scientific and valid arguments behind it!
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »

Yes because they deserve to here the scientific and valid arguments behind it!

Such as... Huh
The skepticism of radiometric dating, the theory behind Mitochondrial Eve and Y chromosomal adam and their connection to the flood, the evidence for a major flood (I can provide the basics but prefer not to for now it takes a while), etc
 For more information I recommend Walt Brown's textbook "in the beginning" he's a very well respected scientist and former evolutionist who became a creationist due to "overwhelming evidence"
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:46:18 PM »

By the way, someone who goes to my church is a structural biologist about to finish his phD at Stanford and is an ardent young-Earth creationist.  I'd think he's be surprised to hear from an attorney that he doesn't understand biology.   You can learn how systems work together in the present without even broaching questions of the past, so I think your putting the theory of evolution on a pedestal says more about your ideological commitment to naturalism and desire to imbue it in others than anything else.

To say you can't understand biology without evolution is like saying you can't understand mechanics without special relativity (to explain why gravity acts how it does).  Evolution is an explanatory mechanism, yes, but so much can be studied within biology without ever having to reference evolution.
I wholeheartedly agree.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 05:25:50 PM »

What a terrible analogy.  Biology isn't some practical subject like driving a car or digging a ditch.  It's an academic subject.  Academics is not memorizing a random series of facts that aren't tied together.  You need to understand why things are the way they are to actually make sense of the facts and have any true knowledge. 

There is no debate that evolution is one of the central ways to explain biology, to make sense of the facts and understand them.  It would be educational malpractice to remove evolution from biology.  Stop playing stupid Ernest, it's annoying and pointless.
[/quote]
Evolution is NOT necessary to understand biology. Belief in evolution is not necessary to understand biology. Period. From my experience in AP biology, I can easily understand and excel in the class despite a lack in belief of evolution. Tell me, what do you need to know about evolution to understand how cells work? (Not what you believe their origin is but how they work)? How traits are passed down? The properties of water and macromolecules?  Thermodynamics? This is what we have covered in the class so far. I have not needed evolution to understand any of it despite there it being mentioned as an irrelevant 'red herring' in the sea of information. The educational directors adore evolution and press it down our throats. It is not wonder people think you can't be an educated creationist...there is a mass effort at indoctrinating our youth into thinking that. We need to encourage alternative ideas. It is the only way we will prosper. If we don't provide creationist point of view and evidence, we aren't giving them an unbiased education.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies