So conservatives: where we right about Bush all along?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:27:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  So conservatives: where we right about Bush all along?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So conservatives: where we right about Bush all along?  (Read 1522 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2007, 02:20:27 AM »

I've noticed that today even conservatives don't bother defending Bush anymore, typically the most will be things like "Who cares about him, he's irrelevant in about a year". This isn't surprising considering the polls. But this was way different 3 years ago. Back then some conservatives were calling Bush one of the greatest presidents, saying how he'd go down in history as amazing, how we were all so lucky to have him, etc. And liberals kept trashing him and catching hell for it.

So were we right after all? That he is a moron and has no clue how to do things?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:20:43 AM »

Most of them did more than just quit trying... Most of them left the forum.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:50:26 AM »

Perhaps it's because I'm pissed off at everybody right now - but I'm pissed off at Bush - he's screwing up the war in Iraq (something that, yeah, we probably shouldn't have gone into - at least not without this much planning) - and what's with nominations like Alberto Gonzales - are you trying to make us look stupid - I mean, sure the President/A.G. has the right to fire a federal prosecutor for whatever - but don't lie about it - and then don't go in with "I don't recall" all over the place - and did you pick him because you needed a minority - I mean, sure I love Mexicans as much as the next guy (I'm part Mexican) - but get somebody who's not gonna screw up the administration.

And for all the stupid Republicans in the House and Senate: Foley, Craig, Allen (Macaca) - I mean, sure the little moron was following Allen around - but still, you couldn't think before you speak?

Then we have the Michigan legislators - oh! let's raise taxes!!! Fun.

Meanwhile - we have the 2008 election - let's get a little rundown:
Giuliani - he's a Republican - come on - he sucks on gay marriage, abortion, immigration
McCain - same thing
Tancredo - can't talk
Hunter - not winable
Brownback - out
Huckabee - only gets Bible belt
Romney - like him - but he flip flopped
Ron Paul - I'm liking him more and more, but have some issues w/ him, drugs and taxes and some war on terror stuff.

Then we have grassroots republicans - our MI state Young Republican Chair raped a girl in Ohio.  The National guy is gay.

We've had so many frickin' scandals.

In the mean time, the Democrats are going around passing peices of crap in the Senate - oh, here's a non-binding resolution that we drafted on taxpayer money - WTF!  Get some crap done.

OK - I'm rambling on like a drunk person - and no, I'm not - I'm just overly stressed and pissed, so just take this post as another excuse to add me to the list of people you're ignoring - seriously - what's the point of friends when you're just going to get screwed over.

Anyway - about politics - just get back to Reagan's beliefs - everybody liked Reagan.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:56:05 AM »

That didn't really have anything to do with his political views.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 04:39:03 AM »

I see no reason why a true conservative would find Bush anything other than a resounding success.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:28:54 AM »

I see no reason why a true conservative would find Bush anything other than a resounding success.

Actually genuine conservatives should be horrified by the Bush presidency.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »

I voted Libertarian in the last 3 elections so I didn't vote for W, although at first I had hope for him. Cutting taxes is a good thing but he didn't follow up with spending cuts. In fact he increased spending, first with the medicare prescription drug plan and then with a pointless war in Iraq. That's a recipe for big deficits.

In my estimation though it seems that people gravitate to the party that has pissed them off the least in recent times.

CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 11:43:29 AM »

Cutting taxes is a good thing but he didn't follow up with spending cuts. In fact he increased spending, first with the medicare prescription drug plan and then with a pointless war in Iraq. That's a recipe for big deficits.

That is my feeling exactly. The president and congress (not just this one but any president/congress) needs to think of spending like a personal check book. You balance the check book and you don't bounce it. If Americans are suppose to spend within their means then shouldn't the government as well?

Sadly, the American people have become a debt filled nation with credit cards, loans, etc. Everyone needs to get back to the basics of spending within ones means and the government should set the example and start doing it today.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »

Anyone who would have called Bush one of the greatest Presidents ever (back in 2004 too) needs to have their head examined.  That being said, he is nowhere near as horrible as some posters here think.  Somewhere below mediocre is about the right placement for me right now. 

However, judging how he will be viewed by history as of this moment is a pretty useless endeavor also.  I hope that's not what you're trying to do.

Regardless, as time has passed in 2007, Bush has become more and more irrelevant in everyone's daily life.  Sure, the Democrats will try and connect the Republican candidates to him in 2008 and so on and so forth, and it may have some impact in the GE (who knows right now).

But the polls do indicate one clear thing (as of the past months) - no matter what Bush does (bad or good), the voters have made up their mind on him and refuse to change.  I doubt this will change.  Thus, John Ford was quite correct, as you should know BRTD.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 02:21:23 AM »

Then we have grassroots republicans - our MI state Young Republican Chair raped a girl in Ohio.  The National guy is gay.

Yes, those are equal.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 02:27:39 AM »

Yes, those are equal.

Well, if you are republican, it is.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 02:57:42 AM »

Actually genuine conservatives should be horrified by the Bush presidency.

Yes, if this is some giant neo-con imperialist conspiracy I could have managed it a thousand times better than they have. Daft admin at this point, I wonder when the punchline is coming.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 03:02:50 AM »

Well, if you are republican, it is.

Republicans are lucky to have you to dictate their positions to them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 03:24:24 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2007, 03:26:27 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Bush actually did the best he could. The problem is, his ideology has utterly failed.

As for Reagan, one of my relatives is most definitely not a fan. He was in the military, I think the Marines. In Beiruit. In 1983. Stationed near a certain building.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »

Uh, what? I can think of approximately 20,000 ways the War in Iraq could have been better handled from a tactical standpoint. Ideology aside,  The President and his Administration are outright incompetent.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 04:35:24 PM »

I'm willing to spot people the 2000 election.  Everyone makes mistakes.  Things seemed great and Gore was quite the come down from Clinton.  But by 2004, didn't everybody get it??  Ok, Kerry was about as dynamic as wallpaper paste but he had one important qualification for President.  HE WASN'T GEORGE BUSH!

Anyone who voted for George Bush in 2004 should be ashamed of themself.  Anyone who worked for his campaign should hang their head in shame and be forced to pay extra taxes.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 03:11:36 AM »

Yes, those are equal.

No - they're not, but both still were very controversial outcomings.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies