MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 07:37:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41
Author Topic: MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)  (Read 120695 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: December 29, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »

The Democrats could just get the 60th seat from an Obama state (Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire all come to mind.)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #876 on: December 29, 2008, 02:48:03 PM »

The Democrats could just get the 60th seat from an Obama state (Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire all come to mind.)

Regardless, not all voters in these states, especially Independents who favor Obama, necessarily want Obama to have a "blank check"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #877 on: December 29, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »

Won't matter if the GOP manages to seriously botch a seat, like they've done every election since 2004. Imagine for example if Voinovich retires and the GOP nominates Ken Blackwell to replace him.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #878 on: December 29, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »

Won't matter if the GOP manages to seriously botch a seat, like they've done every election since 2004. Imagine for example if Voinovich retires and the GOP nominates Ken Blackwell to replace him.

What are you talking about?  I'm not talking about the Dems making it to 60 or not (they probably will), but rather that 59/60 threshold existing coming into 2010 making it tougher for the Democrats overall.  It's sort of a paradox that it might be easier to go from 60 to 61 or 58 to 71 than to go from 59 to 60/61.

That "blank check" argument might scare Sebelius and Henry from running.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #879 on: December 29, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »

Lunar is a Democrat like Mint is a Democrat. Tongue
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #880 on: December 29, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »

Talking about preventing total Democratic dominance of the Senate should play really well in a midterm year.  Midterm voters aren't geniuses, but they're much smarter about politics than your average 2008 voter.

Talk about filibusters will be all over Fox News and the usual GOP outlets, so one would imagine that Republicans will understand the stakes.  Take a look at an internal poll sometime—these kinds of arguements work surprisingly well with politically interested Indy voters. 

This didnt work for Democrats in 2002. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #881 on: December 29, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »

At least Lunar votes for Democrats.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #882 on: December 29, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »

Indeed.

I think NDN/Mint voted for McCain mostly because he's uncomfortable with actually going along with the majority and ended up voting against Obama because of the large following he garnered.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #883 on: December 29, 2008, 10:23:25 PM »

Ah, I'm a pit more forward looking than some other Democrats.

I think it's better for our party to be at 58 than 59 senators, and I think Franken is unappealing to a lot of people we're trying to reach out to.

Maybe I'm a bit of a pragmatist, but worthy of snarky comments?  Fssssh

Coleman is trying to have legitimate votes not count. Any real Democrat has had enough of election stealing Republicans. There's nothing pragmatic about supporting Senators. And why the hell should the Republicans get 42 seats? So that they can force the country to be hard right instead of center right? Let's face it, a lot of those 56 or 57 "Democrats" are basically Republicans, anyways. We don't need 42 Republicans when we have Ben Nelson, Landrieu, Pryor or other horrible people in our party. BTW, Sanders and Lieberman are not Democrats, although the former is better than any Democrat.

Meanwhile, you pretend to be concerned that Caroline Kennedy might not support the Democratic nominee for NYC Mayor in 2009. 

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #884 on: December 29, 2008, 11:36:31 PM »

Ah, I'm a pit more forward looking than some other Democrats.

I think it's better for our party to be at 58 than 59 senators, and I think Franken is unappealing to a lot of people we're trying to reach out to.

Maybe I'm a bit of a pragmatist, but worthy of snarky comments?  Fssssh

Forward looking?  No way man.  Keeping the seat for 6 years is what's most important.  Any seat is a good seat.  The fear of 60 will be just as big for the Republicans whether the Dems have 58 or 59 seats.  Franken will probably be a good senator too.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #885 on: December 29, 2008, 11:39:57 PM »

Well, I guess we disagree.  Like I've said, I've read his books and I  think I understand a bit of how he thinks.

But he's an unappealing figurehead of Democrats and someone prone to general embarrassment or outbursts or other silliness that could catch onto news cycles.

But whatevsky, we'll probably disagree on his effectiveness towards accomplishing a national Democratic agenda, but could we at leasts agree that if Coleman appeared to have "stolen" this election - it would have helped Democrat activism for 2010 and onwards?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #886 on: December 29, 2008, 11:42:01 PM »

I think the idea that more than a handful of people are going to not vote for Democrats because the Senator from Minnesota is Al Franken is silly. No matter what, the Republicans are going to try and turn our politicians into boogeymen. We shouldn't surrender seats to them because we're scared they'll throw a fit. In two years, no one is going to care that Franken is the Senator from Minnesota instead of Coleman.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #887 on: December 29, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »

Is Franken any crazier than Inhofe? Does Inhofe scare away potential Republican voters?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #888 on: December 29, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »

Well, I guess we disagree.  Like I've said, I've read his books and I  think I understand a bit of how he thinks.

But he's an unappealing figurehead of Democrats and someone prone to general embarrassment or outbursts or other silliness that could catch onto news cycles.

But whatevsky, we'll probably disagree on his effectiveness towards accomplishing a national Democratic agenda, but could we at leasts agree that if Coleman appeared to have "stolen" this election - it would have helped Democrat activism for 2010 and onwards?

Oh yeah, the Democrats did awesome in 2002 after everyone knew Bush stole the 2000 election. Anyways, obviously you personally dislike Franken, but that's probably because he's not right-wing enough for a right-winger like you.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #889 on: December 30, 2008, 12:03:03 AM »

Oh yeah, the Democrats did awesome in 2002 after everyone knew Bush stole the 2000 election. Anyways, obviously you personally dislike Franken, but that's probably because he's not right-wing enough for a right-winger like you.

I don't think your definition of "right wing" matters to anyone on this forum but you, 'ol Jfern.
Rococo4

« Reply #890 on: December 30, 2008, 03:26:16 AM »

I think the idea that more than a handful of people are going to not vote for Democrats because the Senator from Minnesota is Al Franken is silly. No matter what, the Republicans are going to try and turn our politicians into boogeymen. We shouldn't surrender seats to them because we're scared they'll throw a fit. In two years, no one is going to care that Franken is the Senator from Minnesota instead of Coleman.
oh, ill still care
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #891 on: December 30, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »

If Franken wins I'm going to become a Republican because he may or may not have groped my aunt in the New York subway 3 decades ago.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #892 on: December 30, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »

If Franken wins I'm going to become a Republican because he may or may not have groped my aunt in the New York subway 3 decades ago.

It's not like there's any difference between a Republican-voting independent and a Republican.  It's merely a superficial & aesthetic change, I don't see why not.  I also suspect Sam has other, less personal reasons, for his move as well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #893 on: December 30, 2008, 01:19:08 PM »

What's amusing is this is really yet another victory for Nate Silver. Sure he wasn't exactly dead-on with his 27 votes projection, but was closer than anyone who mocked him for it and predicted a Coleman victory. (Remember his projection wasn't including the absentees) Republicans can keep bashing the guy but until he majorly flubs something they'll be the ones with egg on their faces.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #894 on: December 30, 2008, 01:19:51 PM »

What's amusing is this is really yet another victory for Nate Silver. Sure he wasn't exactly dead-on with his 27 votes projection, but was closer than anyone who mocked him for it and predicted a Coleman victory. (Remember his projection wasn't including the absentees) Republicans can keep bashing the guy but until he majorly flubs something they'll be the ones with egg on their faces.

What was the result without absentees?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #895 on: December 30, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »

What was the result without absentees?

Franken +48
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #896 on: December 30, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »

The state canvassing board, after some housekeeping, has given Franken a 50 vote tenative lead now, pending the rejected absentees.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28435298/

I really don't see any possibile way Coleman wins this now. How could a court overturn this election? neither candidate has a clear win, and Coleman has been dubious in his requests at best.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #897 on: December 30, 2008, 01:40:28 PM »

Amusingly, Nate Silver's track record is only good when it comes to predicting Democratic victories. Remember, Silver predicted a Jim Martin victory.  It would have been hilarious to see the hack Silver predict 2002 and 2004.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #898 on: December 30, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »

He NEVER predicted a Jim Martin victory, on election night or otherwise, WTF?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #899 on: December 30, 2008, 01:46:36 PM »

He NEVER predicted a Jim Martin victory, on election night or otherwise, WTF?

Correct. As I recall he thought it would be close with Obama turnout and said he wouldn't be surprised if Martin won. That's not predicting a Martin victory.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies