"Veneto will become independent before Scotland and Catalonia." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:09:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  "Veneto will become independent before Scotland and Catalonia." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Veneto will become independent before Scotland and Catalonia."  (Read 3251 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: October 07, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »

With support like that, who knows? It's not inherently sillier than an independent Scotland or an independent Catalonia anyway - or an independent Luxembourg, come to think of it.

Of course Italy was split into multiple nations until 150 years ago, but I would say the difference is that Catalonia and Scotland have particular identities clearly distinct from the whole bloc of their countries. Veneto might have strong peculiarities, but no more than, say, Apulia, Emilia or Campania. Italy is a construct of multiple regional identities, which is very different from relatively homogeneous blocs like UK and Spain where one or two specific regions clearly stand out.

The Rest of Spain (say, without Catalonia and the Basque Country) is not a homogeneous bloc but a "construct of multiple regional identities". There are a lot of geographical and historical circumstances that makes Spain more diverse than England. Anyways Veneto is not Scotland nor Catalonia.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »

I'm deeply amused at the idea that England is not diverse.

I didn't mean that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies