Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:37:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 306561 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: May 25, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »

Sorry for the name. I was only noticing the thread title.
Thanks for explaining to me when it would start.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2126 on: June 21, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »

If I were looking for a Senator to sponsor a bill (or bills) on my behalf in the Senate, would this be the appropriate place to inquire? Grin
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2127 on: June 22, 2014, 01:26:36 AM »

If I were looking for a Senator to sponsor a bill (or bills) on my behalf in the Senate, would this be the appropriate place to inquire? Grin

You could just PM bore or hell as a former Southerner (in game), I would still hook you up. Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2128 on: June 22, 2014, 01:28:30 AM »

You could just PM bore or hell as a former Southerner (in game), I would still hook you up. Tongue

Seems like I've found a sponsor at the moment; but I'll remember your offer, Yankee.  Who knows what I might use it for... Grin
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2129 on: June 22, 2014, 01:43:26 AM »

Look at it like this, Barnes. You didn't get expelled, you are just 17 months late for work. Tongue

"I didn't quit, I am just seven years late for work" - Dave Chappelle.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2130 on: June 22, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »

I have worries about the method of election by party list in the bicameralism bill for candidates who are not from major parties.

First, I would like to know if a voter could only make a choice (or choices) in one list. There is no way a voter could select candidates that are not in the same list.

It has been suggested in the bill discussion thread:
Each major party would be allowed to determine how it will handle the selection/order of candidates
Everyone else would caucus together and use standard PR-STV to determine selection/order

Everyone else is lumped together in the same list? So two independent candidates, one Far Left and one Earth Liberation could be on the same list. Even if voters are able to rank candidates in a single list, can voters know in choosing the Everyone else list that their vote won't help elect someone they don't like.

I'm trying to imagine if that type of ballot will be good for candidates not in major parties. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2131 on: June 23, 2014, 12:28:51 AM »

I have worries about the method of election by party list in the bicameralism bill for candidates who are not from major parties.

First, I would like to know if a voter could only make a choice (or choices) in one list. There is no way a voter could select candidates that are not in the same list.

It has been suggested in the bill discussion thread:
Each major party would be allowed to determine how it will handle the selection/order of candidates
Everyone else would caucus together and use standard PR-STV to determine selection/order

Everyone else is lumped together in the same list? So two independent candidates, one Far Left and one Earth Liberation could be on the same list. Even if voters are able to rank candidates in a single list, can voters know in choosing the Everyone else list that their vote won't help elect someone they don't like.

I'm trying to imagine if that type of ballot will be good for candidates not in major parties. 

What would make sense is to have it so that independent and minor party candidates can choose whether to join a list with others, or whether to run by themselves. 

Whether a voter could select more than one list I'm not clear on either.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2132 on: June 24, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »

What would make sense is to have it so that independent and minor party candidates can choose whether to join a list with others, or whether to run by themselves. 

Whether a voter could select more than one list I'm not clear on either.

I wouldn't like forcing independent and small parties to be on the same miscellaneous list. Having their own list would be better but then a possible difficulty for them if voters can select only one list is being seen as having a good chance to have enough votes to win. If voters don't believe these candidates can garner enough votes and voting is not transferable to another list, then they could decide to avoid risking wasting a vote and go to the biggest party they like.

I've been trying to imagine what the voting dynamic would be with party list for independent / small parties. The bicameral proposal seems to be tied to shrinking the number of regions so I am opposed to it.   
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #2133 on: June 26, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2014, 12:23:02 AM by Mr. JoMCaR (F-MA) »

Would Sen. Bore or any At-Large Senator or just any Senator introduce this bill to the Senate? Please Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's not like I've got anything against transgenders, but we are talking about government spending and taxpayer's money here, and I really believe this isn't the best way to go with it.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2134 on: June 26, 2014, 05:01:48 AM »

Obviously I don't and can't see myself supporting this bill, but I think, given civilian introduced legislation is rare enough that it should be encouraged, there is a shortage of items in the queue and I am JomCAR's regional senator I'll introduce the bill.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #2135 on: June 26, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »

Obviously I don't and can't see myself supporting this bill, but I think, given civilian introduced legislation is rare enough that it should be encouraged, there is a shortage of items in the queue and I am JomCAR's regional senator I'll introduce the bill.

Thank you Senator ^^
WrathOfTheGods
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.70

« Reply #2136 on: July 25, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »

I'd like to have any senator introducing this bill:

May the gods be with you.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #2137 on: July 25, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »

I'd like to have any senator introducing this bill:

Huh
WrathOfTheGods
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.70

« Reply #2138 on: July 26, 2014, 02:05:44 PM »

Forget about the bill I put before. Due to new data given, I'll present this instead:

GAworth
United States

« Reply #2139 on: August 01, 2014, 07:23:41 PM »

So I am not really sure where to put this comment, but here seems as good as any (in regards to the Bicameral Birthing Bill)

If we use districts when talking about a lower house, I suggest that we create a freeze on moving from state to state one month prior to the election, at that time the SoFE or whoever is responsible would then re-apportion the districts. The freeze would be lifted after the election has concluded. If we use a proportional lower house like the real Congress, then I suggest a freeze for regional shifts as well during this time. If a new member joins during the freeze, their addition does not affect the district make up.

If we are contemplating districts, this seems reasonable, I know this was a concern.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2140 on: August 04, 2014, 10:34:17 PM »

The Labor Party is turning this game into a joke. Before, in terms of ideology, we were on a Vermont or Massachusetts level. I don't even know what you would call the level we are at now...at this rate I would be surprised if this game lasted another year.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2141 on: August 04, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »

The Labor Party is turning this game into a joke. Before, in terms of ideology, we were on a Vermont or Massachusetts level. I don't even know what you would call the level we are at now...at this rate I would be surprised if this game lasted another year.

The game will prosper once the reactionaries are eliminated. I fully support comrade TNF's bill.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2142 on: August 04, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »

Mother of god... We may not have a PPT to strike down that abomination before it even reaches the floor, but you can bet I will demand that bill to be tabled!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2143 on: August 04, 2014, 10:45:13 PM »

Mother of god... We may not have a PPT to strike down that abomination before it even reaches the floor, but you can bet I will demand that bill to be tabled!

I'm not sure what's really offensive about it. It's not as if it allows the guillotine to be used, or anything. I mean hell, Clause 3 clearly doles out punishment for violators.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2144 on: August 04, 2014, 10:56:23 PM »

I'm not sure what's really offensive about it. It's not as if it allows the guillotine to be used, or anything. I mean hell, Clause 3 clearly doles out punishment for violators.

Senator, nuking a random nation makes more sense than that bill, and I hope to see the rest of the Labor senators opposing it as well.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2145 on: August 04, 2014, 11:00:47 PM »

Senator, nuking a random nation makes more sense than that bill, and I hope to see the rest of the Labor senators opposing it as well.

Not really. The bourgeoisie need to be kept fearful. No nation needs to be nuked.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2146 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:42 PM »

Not really. The bourgeoisie need to be kept fearful. No nation needs to be nuked.

You honestly see nothing wrong with class warfare and dismissing entire sectors of our society while using government assets to scare the people of Atlasia, don't you?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2147 on: August 04, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »

You honestly see nothing wrong with class warfare and dismissing entire sectors of our society while using government assets to scare the people of Atlasia, don't you?

Nope. The bourgeoisie are disgusting parasites and deserve everything the proletariat send their way.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2148 on: August 04, 2014, 11:10:49 PM »

Then I stand by my comments, this insanity has to be stopped as soon as possible.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2149 on: August 04, 2014, 11:11:59 PM »

That's kind of the point. Terror is the goal.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies