NATIONAL SENATE/HOUSE RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:59:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NATIONAL SENATE/HOUSE RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who won the 2010 election?
Republicans

Democrats

Neither Party

Both Parties

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: NATIONAL SENATE/HOUSE RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)  (Read 159553 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: November 02, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »
« edited: November 02, 2010, 08:17:36 PM by Alcon »

Sestak is running about 3% behind Obama in Philadelphia, and not doing that well in Berks County (part of Toomey's district) either...but those seem to be the exceptions.  Sestak seems to be performing rather well.  Bizarre?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 02:17:34 AM »

I'm looking at the Washington returns and it looks like Murray will win by about 4% and may surpass 100k over Rossi.

At least.  She has a shot at 5%.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2010, 03:46:15 PM by Alcon »

Searchlight is pretty darn Republican.  I don't think Obama won it
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:18:58 PM »

Not to mention that exit polls aren't truly random samples to begin with, so it's not just a margin-of-error thing.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »

That's not a terribly implausible scenario, as there are about 5 black people in Vermont.

But don't you know that subsamples in polls are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS RIGHT NO MATTER HOW SMALL!!!!11!!!! [/Dgov]

Do I honestly have to make that clear before every post?  I kind of assumed that the people posting here would have enough common sense to know that when I'm using exit polls, I'M USING EXIT POLLS.  Your mileage may vary.

That doesn't really matter.  Exit polls filter out likely voters who don't vote, but are more prone to non-representative sampling, and either way subsamples in exit polls are basically just as bad as with polls.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 05:34:25 AM »
« Edited: December 27, 2010, 08:17:06 PM by Alcon »

^^

cinyc -- I understand that; my point was assuming that all things are equal.  Considering how small that subsamples like that are even on larger-sample exit polls, I assumed he believed that exit polls were inherently prone to less statistical noise.  Either way, even the given exit poll sample is not large/random enough to so strongly draw that conclusion, IMO.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies