Furthest latitudes and longitudes you've visited (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:31:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Furthest latitudes and longitudes you've visited (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Furthest latitudes and longitudes you've visited  (Read 5474 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: September 01, 2013, 03:34:47 PM »

North 60N
South 8N
East 81E
West 124W

approximately
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:27:40 AM »

Okay before you guys will ramble on with the whole "Thailand is East-er than Connecticut, blah blah, blah" instead of being boring to say Chang Mai is my southernmost and easternmost place, I'm gonna do it continental-wise.... Oh, and flying doesn't count... If it did, then the International Date Line is the farthest east and west... Tongue
And transatlantic flyers' northernmost spot would be pretty damn far north.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »

And of course, trying to define east-west is arbitrary, since I've crossed the International Dateline by plane many times.  When I go back to the US, I do it by going east, not west.  So in that sense, it's kind of strange to say that I've never been west of Victoria.

As long as you've not been around the world, say if you've only gone Oz-America and Oz-Europe, there isn't a problem. The furthest east you've been is the furthest east you've been in America and the furthest west you've been is the furthest west in Europe.

And if you have been, well east and west don't count for you anymore as you've been everywhere. Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 07:33:20 AM »

Furthest North 58
Furthest South 37
Furthest West -9
Furthest East 13

So you can box me in Smiley
N: North coast of Scotland?
S: Andalusia?
W: Ireland, perhaps Cork?
E: Berlin?
Now try mine. Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:49:33 AM »

North -possibly Oslo or Helsinki, though I go for St. Petersburg.
South - I go for the southern tip of the Indian peninsula, that you most likely have visited (see eastern longitude). Ethiopia (a bit south from Addis), Venezuela, Colombia and Panama are other possibilities.
East - Somewhere in India (Lucknow?)
West - Somewhere on the Pacific coast north of SF. I go for Victoria island.
Pretty good.
St Petersburg is correct, Kanyakumari is correct (just beating out Costa Rica), "somewhere in India" is correct though you're far too far north - doublechecking, it's still slightly closer the 80th than the 81st actually and anyways, it's just stepping out of the Kerala Express (Delhi to Trivandrum in 50 hours, though I got out at Varkela after 49) and buying chai and bananas on the platform. At Vijayawada. If that don't count it's Mahabalipuram, which is only just beyond the 80th. America's Pacific coast is correct, but Oregon rather than BC.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies