Washington state megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:00:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington state megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington state megathread  (Read 857377 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: September 05, 2010, 08:31:20 AM »

I just wrote a big long post about WA-2, it might answer some of your questions, maybe. I think the primary was probably a factor (the total Democratic vote was still 52%, which is actually pretty close to what I would have expected), but there is of course recent polling, such as the poll thread where I posted this:

But re-districting will significantly alter the district--this is because it is likely we'll get a 10th seat here in Washington, and the 2nd district (along with the rest, really) will have to shrink quite a bit. I don't know exactly what they'll do, but Everett seems like the most likely portion of the district that may be cut out, and if that happens, the district gets significantly more Republican. I suppose it is also possible they would try to cut out suburban/rural portions of Snohomish County instead, or maybe something wacky like trying to cut out Island County, which may essentially break even or even make the district a little more Democratic, but this is all speculation on my part. Everett has been a key city in the district for a long time (basically its entire existence), so there may be historical reasons to try keeping it there.

Okay, I just wrote way more about WA-2 than anybody probably cared to read. Maybe RealisticIdealist will have something to add or correct, as he's a more permanent resident in the district than I am. Wink

WA has fairly extensive criteria for the redistricting commission to follow according to the SOS webpage.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Based on current estimates and a 10 CD map, it would seem that removing Everett and Mukilteo would be the easiest way for redraw CD-2. That is the most compact plan for the district and respects the road connections to Island County. If Everett were left in and Island were cut out then Monroe and the US 2 corridor would have to go out as well to balance population. That would be less convenient and compact, so there would have to be compelling reasons in the other districts to prefer that plan.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:11:50 PM »

I didn't have a lot of time in Seattle during my trip, but spent most of the run up to the election north of Bellingham. There were lots of signs there, and one aspect of them caught my eye. A large number were mounted on wooden posts and frames. That's virtually unknown in the Midwest except for amateur posts. Almost all campaign signs in my home area are on wire frames (for plastic bag or folding paper) or wire posts (for corrugated plastic).

PS Bummer that the election kept me from meeting Alcon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies