CNN Brooklyn, NY Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 07:03:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  CNN Brooklyn, NY Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: CNN Brooklyn, NY Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**  (Read 5585 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2016, 09:51:56 PM »

Nice dig at Sanders' lack of support for Democratic congressional candidates there...

Aha, thank you Dana. Smiley
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2016, 09:52:01 PM »

What Clinton is engaging is anything but nuance

(not true, by the way)

Did you listen to her touching on some specifics of the geopolitics of energy in Europe? Sanders never touched anything that obscure and informed tonight. On the environment in particular she was way more nuanced than Sanders.

I listened to her answers as well but I also listened to the questions. There's a reason we have these debates, and Clinton does not answer the questions in her responses. It is unfair to Democratic voters that we have no idea where she really stands on the issues being posed to her.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2016, 09:52:55 PM »

Sanders: "The General Electric" matchup polls...

Sure, he has the propeller boat down, but can be win the electrical boat?
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2016, 09:55:01 PM »

(not true, by the way)

Did you listen to her touching on some specifics of the geopolitics of energy in Europe? Sanders never touched anything that obscure and informed tonight. On the environment in particular she was way more nuanced than Sanders.

I listened to her answers as well but I also listened to the questions. There's a reason we have these debates, and Clinton does not answer the questions in her responses. It is unfair to Democratic voters that we have no idea where she really stands on the issues being posed to her.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it a dodge.

I assure you, she answered the question.  Actual policy isn't yes/no, actual policy is "in this case, I would do A, but if this were to happen, I would do B", or "thing A is bad, but thing B is much worse, so while I do not like thing A and think it could be better, I won't denounce it because it's better than thing B."  Sanders' fake, simplistic policy is "I would do A" or "thing A is bad", which makes it easy to answer questions like "would you do A?" or "is thing A bad?" with "yes."
Reginald
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »

(not true, by the way)

I agree that some of her "answers" (e.g. transcripts, minimum wage) were kinda cringeworthy, but if you think Sanders is doing better of a job answering questions with nuance and specific proposals, I don't know what to tell you.
Penny Flipside
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2016, 09:56:46 PM »

So Sanders is leaving it open then?

And is he actually using the "south" excuse on national tv?
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2016, 09:58:19 PM »

So Sanders is leaving it open then?

And is he actually using the "south" excuse on national tv?

Yeah that ain't gonna help him with black voters.
The democratic electorate in those states isn't lopsided-conservative, it's lopsided-black.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2016, 09:59:57 PM »

"We got murdered in the South; the most conservative part of the country..."

So Utah, Idaho, Alaska and Kansas are what, then?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2016, 10:03:01 PM »

The South is a conservative area where the GOP would win - In Blue or Purple states, Sanders is ahead. Idaho, Utah are so small delegate wise they don't make a huge difference.

People who are not stupid would agree with that assessment - People here are not the sharpest so there you go.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2016, 10:04:53 PM »

Personally, I think we should stop disregarding areas of the country that don't support our preferred candidate. The Deep South and the caucus states might not be crucial to the electoral math, but we should care about every vote.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »

This was the saddest thing I've ever seen. I always mock how bad the GOP policy ideas are, but this was a complete disaster. Sanders was disrespectful and completely unknowledgeable. There is clearly no difference between him and Trump, except Trump is funny and his advisors are going to actually handle everything.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »

(not true, by the way)

I assure you, she answered the question.  Actual policy isn't yes/no, actual policy is "in this case, I would do A, but if this were to happen, I would do B", or "thing A is bad, but thing B is much worse, so while I do not like thing A and think it could be better, I won't denounce it because it's better than thing B."  Sanders' fake, simplistic policy is "I would do A" or "thing A is bad", which makes it easy to answer questions like "would you do A?" or "is thing A bad?" with "yes."

Except she doesn't come close to approaching that level of an answer either. There's no need to patronize when you clearly do not understand what constitutes an actual answer. Some questions are indeed yes or no, and some require some more explanation to fully answer in responses. Clinton's responses are so far off from anything resembling an answer that I have to wonder if she's even hearing the questions. If you actually believe Clinton has been answering these questions, I don't know what to tell you.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »

That Bernie chant was amazing.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2016, 10:06:24 PM »

This was the saddest thing I've ever seen. I always mock how bad the GOP policy ideas are, but this was a complete disaster. Sanders was disrespectful and completely unknowledgeable. There is clearly no difference between him and Trump, except Trump is funny and his advisors are going to actually handle everything.

Sanders is the TRUMP of the left so
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2016, 10:06:50 PM »

The South is a conservative area where the GOP would win - In Blue or Purple states, Sanders is ahead. Idaho, Utah are so small delegate wise they don't make a huge difference.

People who are not stupid would agree with that assessment - People here are not the sharpest so there you go.

Florida, Ohio and Virginia are literally the three biggest swing states.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »

But why does it matter? She's ahead overall in the country. Unless you think democrats in really conservative areas shouldn't have a say in the nomination?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2016, 10:07:02 PM »

I regret taking that chance.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2016, 10:07:36 PM »

Cannot stand how Clinton repeatedly uses 9/11 as a prop. Despicable.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2016, 10:08:15 PM »

(not true, by the way)

I assure you, she answered the question.  Actual policy isn't yes/no, actual policy is "in this case, I would do A, but if this were to happen, I would do B", or "thing A is bad, but thing B is much worse, so while I do not like thing A and think it could be better, I won't denounce it because it's better than thing B."  Sanders' fake, simplistic policy is "I would do A" or "thing A is bad", which makes it easy to answer questions like "would you do A?" or "is thing A bad?" with "yes."

Except she doesn't come close to approaching that level of an answer either. There's no need to patronize when you clearly do not understand what constitutes an actual answer. Some questions are indeed yes or no, and some require some more explanation to fully answer in responses. Clinton's responses are so far off from anything resembling an answer that I have to wonder if she's even hearing the questions. If you actually believe Clinton has been answering these questions, I don't know what to tell you.

"in this case, I would do A, but if this were to happen, I would do B" was her answer on $15 minimum wage.

"thing A is bad, but thing B is much worse, so while I do not like thing A and think it could be better, I won't denounce it because it's better than thing B" was her answer on Israel.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2016, 10:10:08 PM »

The question on Israel was not a question on policy, it was a question of response. Did she think Israel's actions were disproportionate? That is a yes or no question, to which she avoided in an obvious manner. That was not her response to the $15 question either, so you're just incorrect in that regard.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:26 PM »

The South is a conservative area where the GOP would win - In Blue or Purple states, Sanders is ahead.

Purple states, such as Florida, Nevada, Ohio, Virginia and Iowa?  Even Arizona, Missouri or North Carolina?  Remind me; how did they vote again?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:48 PM »

The question on Israel was not a question on policy, it was a question of response. Did she think Israel's actions were disproportionate? That is a yes or no question, to which she avoided in an obvious manner. That was not her response to the $15 question either, so you're just incorrect in that regard.

She's a shill for Zionism and the AIPAC lobby,
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:55 PM »

Sanders has exceeded my expectation & I thought Clinton got destroyed on foreign policy.

But as I initially thought she can go negative, dirty & debate in a ditch which Sanders is not prepared to. I think the reason why he does not call out the Warren video of Clinton changing votes for money is that it puts Warren at risk & Warren has probably requested her not to.

I would love to see a Trump vs Hillary debate - "Lying/Fraud Hillary goes 90s without answering the question". She would get killed on guns & it would be funny to see Trump debating from her left on interventionist regime changes.
Penny Flipside
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2016, 10:12:13 PM »

I believe the democratic party is banking on Texas going purple with it's changing demographic. Virginia would of been consisted lost a couple election cycles ago at going blue. And Obama won a couple southern states in his time. So in the past I would have agreed with you but now I think it does matter.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2016, 10:14:24 PM »

Disproportionate in what sense?  Relative to what?  She thinks Israel's actions are bad but not entirely unjustified or disproportionate given that Palestine is full of terrorists and they camouflage themselves as civilians to bring about more civilian deaths.

This is what she said, I'm sorry it's not a yes or no answer but what it is is a nuanced, thoughtful and realistic answer, the kind of answer we need from a president.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies