King David Hotel Bombing - Terrorist Attack or Not?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:14:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  King David Hotel Bombing - Terrorist Attack or Not?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Was The King David Hotel Attack Terrorism?
Yes, it was terrorism.

No, it wasn't.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: King David Hotel Bombing - Terrorist Attack or Not?  (Read 7817 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »

Depends on your definition of terrorism. I don't think Mandela condoned anything more than knocking down power lines and small acts of sabotage.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »

It was a British mandate, meaning that the British had every right, and a moral responsibility to police it. No doubt if we just cleared out after 1945 you'd attack us for not intervening, and helping.
No, the British had absolutely no right to be there in the first place. Not in 1929, not in 1936, not in 1945 and certainly not in 1948.

If there had been no British mandate in Palestine, there never would have been Jewish emigration to Palestine on anything like the scale there was in the interwar years.  The options for the area following the Great War were either a British mandate or an Arab government which would have been even less welcoming to Jewish immigration than the British were.  An independent Jewish homeland c. 1920 was not achievable at all.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »

If there had been no British mandate in Palestine, there never would have been Jewish emigration to Palestine on anything like the scale there was in the interwar years.  The options for the area following the Great War were either a British mandate or an Arab government which would have been even less welcoming to Jewish immigration than the British were.  An independent Jewish homeland c. 1920 was not achievable at all.
This is true, but it hardly legitimizes British colonization of the area, and much less their conduct in the area. Besides, it is not as if it was evident that there would be a Jewish state, since the British commitment to this idea seemed very shaky. Jewish fighters had to liberate the country.

Liberate a country from the people who were living there?  That's sort of like saying America was liberated from the Indians or that Britain was liberated from the Celts.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2016, 09:06:34 PM by Lurker »

Well, duh.

As for DavidB's support for Irgun's crimes - whether this is evidence of hypocrisy or partisanship seems pretty immaterial, and I fail to see why the latter somehow makes it better.

Of course, judging from the fanatical stance apparent in his last post, it is not suprising that he'd support literally anything that serves The Cause. David, do you think the Deir Yassin massacre was entirely unproblematic as well (just to name one of Irgun's other great victories)?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 09:00:31 PM »

Liberate a country from the people who were living there?
No.

And since I have basic self-respect as a Jew, I'm not willing to engage in discussions with you on my people's indigenous rights to the Land of Israel, and this you know very well already. Besides, this thread is not even about (modern) Zionism in a more general sense, and neither was your initial remark to which I replied.

Are you mizrahi? If not, your people never lived in the area we now call Israel.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »

No.

And since I have basic self-respect as a Jew, I'm not willing to engage in discussions with you on my people's indigenous rights to the Land of Israel, and this you know very well already. Besides, this thread is not even about (modern) Zionism in a more general sense, and neither was your initial remark to which I replied.

Are you mizrahi? If not, your people never lived in the area we now call Israel.

lol
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2016, 09:04:38 PM »

No.

lol
I'm not sure how that's funny. Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews originated in (probably) Kurdistan, turkey, Iran, that area. I'm half Ashkenazi, my ancestry test showed origins in Iran, Sardinia and Russia on that side.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »

No.

I'll agree our opinions of Zionism are widely divergent, which is why in my initial reply I limited myself to pointing out that the available alternatives circa 1920 to a British mandate would have been even less desirable from your point of view.  However, I'm not going to let go unchallenged the misuse of the word "liberation" to describe what Zionism, especially modern Zionism, entails.  There are a number of other terms that are accurate, not all of which are negative, but liberation is not one of them.  If Zionism had been limited to securing independence for existing pre-1918 Jewish communities, then it would have a right to be described as a liberation ideology.  But Zionism historically and currently is far more expansive than that.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 09:47:34 PM »

In reply to Lurker, my opinion regarding Deir Yassin is that this event might be regrettable in itself, but that some of its consequences were positive and that it is sometimes inevitable to crack some eggs in order to make an omelette Smiley

Yes, that was the answer I expected.

This may sound like a rhetorical question, but would you support any conceivable action if it served the Zionist cause (however defined)?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »

Horus is going back on ignore for the most ridiculous statement I have ever read in my life. I say this as a Mizrahi/Sephardic Jew.

Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2016, 10:14:17 PM »

I love how this thread went from denying a terrorist act to denying that Jews lived in the region of what is now Israel.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 10:22:21 PM »

"Liberation of Jews" is not the same as "Liberation of Eretz Yisrael" unless one holds to the Zionist mythology of Palestine being a largely abandoned place in the 19th century waiting to be filled by the jewish diaspora.  Underdeveloped to be sure, but hardly unpeopled.  One of the difficulties the Zionist movement has faced is being a colonial movement that took place just as colonialism was falling out of fashion politically to be replaced by nationalism.  The lukewarm commitment of Britain to Zionism in the interwar era is due in part to that.  I'm quite sympathetic to the idea of a Jewish homeland, but unlike DavidB, not with regard of the existing inhabitants of whatever area it was established in. (Tho a Jewish state carved out of Germany after World War II, say with a capital in ex-Nuremberg, would meet my sense of justice.)

As for me liking Jews only as subservient inferiors, perhaps DavidB is transferring views he may hold about the Arabs to me. I think one would have to view Arabs as inferior to Jews to think that Zionism is about "liberating" the land.

I love how this thread went from denying a terrorist act to denying that Jews lived in the region of what is now Israel.
I don't deny that they were there, but for close to two millennia they were far from being the majority in that region.  Even now, demographically, Israel can't incorporate all the area it wants to control within its borders and remain a Jewish democracy unless it somehow could manage to expel a sizable portion of the Arabs living there now.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »

You would be one of the Mizrahim or the Sephardim.

My grandfather sometimes said he rather admired the early Zionists. They were mostly German or English or Austrian. They built an orderly, modern state from scratch. But then they had to go and bring your kind in.

It is absolutely disgusting the way they flew in those Jews from Yemen, ape-people who didn't even know how to use the toilets on the planes they flew them in on. And the Persians were just as bad. And then came the Russian gangsters.

And meanwhile my father's family's ancestral village, which used to be a civilized, Christian place, has been overrun by savage Mohammedans - the ones who stab people like you.

It's really shameful what your kind have done to the place.
Are you fycking drunk? That is literally the only reason I can think of for being so overtly racist when it comes to Mizrahim, and it doesn't make it any better. This line of reasoning almost makes me throw up.

I don't even respond to IndyTexas' stupidity. He's always been a lost cause. People like Horus bother me much more.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2016, 10:27:02 PM »

I don't even respond to IndyTexas' stupidity.
I did.  I reported it.  That sort of language he used about the Yemeni Jews has no place on this forum.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2016, 10:27:45 PM »

I don't deny that they were there, but for close to two millennia they were far from being the majority in that region.  Even now, demographically, Israel can't incorporate all the area it wants to control within its borders and remain a Jewish democracy unless it somehow could manage to expel a sizable portion of the Arabs living there now.
No, you seem to have a alright position, I'm mostly talking about Horus's extremely poorly thought out and obtuse post earlier.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2016, 10:28:59 PM »

I disagree strongly with Ernest's opinions, but I think he's a valuable poster here. I have no issues with him and enjoy reading some of his posts on different topics.

But, Horus and IndyTexas are different stories.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 10:33:13 PM »

Horus is going back on ignore for the most ridiculous statement I have ever read in my life. I say this as a Mizrahi/Sephardic Jew.

My grandfather sometimes said he rather admired the early Zionists. They were mostly German or English or Austrian. They built an orderly, modern state from scratch. But then they had to go and bring your kind in.

It is absolutely disgusting the way they flew in those Jews from Yemen, ape-people who didn't even know how to use the toilets on the planes they flew them in on. And the Persians were just as bad. And then came the Russian gangsters.

And meanwhile my father's family's ancestral village, which used to be a civilized, Christian place, has been overrun by savage Mohammedans - the ones who stab people like you.

Uh, that's really racist, to basically everyone involved in your statement.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 10:34:58 PM »

Lol. It's like watching a person with a PCP addiction running wild. IndyTexas, I think you need to reevaluate your views. Living life full of hatred is not good for the soul.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 10:35:24 PM »

I did.  I reported it.  That sort of language he used about the Yemeni Jews has no place on this forum.

I'm merely pointing out the differences in bathroom habits of the various peoples of the Middle East in the early 20th century.

They didn't know how to use toilets then and if you go to Yemen today a good number of them still don't.

So sue me.

Clearly you have been drinking out of one to make disgusting comments like these.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 10:36:51 PM »

I'm merely pointing out the differences in bathroom habits of the various peoples of the Middle East in the early 20th century.

They didn't know how to use toilets then and if you go to Yemen today a good number of them still don't.

So sue me.

Man, I have disagreed with basically everyone DavidB has been posting in this thread, but you're much, much worse.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2016, 10:38:19 PM »

So sue me.

Clearly you have been drinking out of one to make disgusting comments like these.

Not Manischewitz, I'm afraid.

lmao.

I've given you enough attention for one night, I'm done here.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2016, 10:39:17 PM »

Whoever mods this board, can this thread be closed? It's not going in a positive direction anytime soon, I'm afraid Sad

Also, enjoy ignore, Indy.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2016, 10:41:58 PM »

Whoever mods this board, can this thread be closed? It's not going in a positive direction anytime soon, I'm afraid Sad

I guess I can lock it... This was intended to be a discussion on the King David Bombing and Netanyahu's comments of such.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2016, 10:43:07 PM »

Jesus Christ, I mean, we'd all suspected you were anti-semitic, but there'd been a vague hope of not vocalizing it until now. For all your praise of WASPy, effeminate, urbane, -1 E, -7 S, liberal yankee paternal Republicans from New England, it appears you're little more than the allegedly troglodytical common folk you purport to despise.  
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2016, 10:44:42 PM »

I guess I can lock it... This was intended to be a discussion on the King David Bombing and Netanyahu's comments of such.

yea, I thought it was decent thread. I enjoy conversations like this, even if it's diametrically opposed to my own viewpoints, but Indy (and Horus) completely hijacked it, sadly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies