Voters of Liechtenstein reject initiative for more democracy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:09:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Voters of Liechtenstein reject initiative for more democracy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voters of Liechtenstein reject initiative for more democracy  (Read 2726 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:12:37 AM »

Results

Background information in English

Roughly 75% of the people of Liechtenstein voted no on an initiative which sought to cut the powers of their head of state, Prince Hans-Adam II. The initiative "Damit deine Stimme zählt", which would have made it impossible for the Prince to veto popular initiatives, was soundly defeated. Thus, Prince Hans-Adam II retains his power to veto both parliamentary and popular decisions.

Ironically, even if the voters had approved of this initiative, it would not necessarily have translated into more democratic rights for the people - Prince Hans-Adam II could simply have vetoed the decision.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:15:46 AM »

Happy to live in a republic.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »

The opponents of the initiative seem to have managed to turn this initiative into a fundamental debate on Liechtenstein's monarchy. The monarchy, the most important identity marker of Liechtenstein, is extremely popular, and any political group which tries to attack the royal family or calls for the abolishment of the monarchy remains a fringe movement. Additionally, the fact that the Prince threatened to make use of his veto rights in the past probably discouraged supporters of the initiative - why vote if the head of state vetoes the initiative anyway?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »

Results

Roughly 75% of the people of Liechtenstein voted no on an initiative which sought to cut the powers of their head of state, Prince Hans-Adam II. The initiative "Damit deine Stimme zählt", which would have made it impossible for the Prince to veto popular initiatives, was soundly defeated. Thus, Prince Hans-Adam II retains his power to veto both parliamentary and popular decisions.

Ironically, even if the voters had approved of this initiative, it would not necessarily have translated into more democratic rights for the people - Prince Hans-Adam II could simply have vetoed the decision.

Does the Prince actually veto anything?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »

Announcing their opposition is usually quite enough that they don't have to.

Does Freedom House still rate the place 1/1?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »

Announcing their opposition is usually quite enough that they don't have to.

Does Freedom House still rate the place 1/1?

Yep. 1/1.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »

What an awful people.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »

Well done Liechtenstein.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »

Results

Apparently he threatened to veto any move to legalize abortion. I also think I read somewhere that he threatened to abdicate if this initiative was passed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

...and that threat is really "and take my banking empire with me; and while I can't run it the way I run it anywhere else, the poor mountain valley it's based in, and which is profitting quite handsomely from it, will probably go back to starving". It's not as if the family has any sort of biographical (genetic, say) ties to the place - until a century ago they never even visited.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »

...and that threat is really "and take my banking empire with me; and while I can't run it the way I run it anywhere else, the poor mountain valley it's based in, and which is profitting quite handsomely from it, will probably go back to starving". It's not as if the family has any sort of biographical (genetic, say) ties to the place - until a century ago they never even visited.

Neither does the current Swedish monarchy for their country - the first guy in their dynasty was a French soldier elected when the old line died out.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with this; if the majority is okay with a strong constitutional monarchy, then they can stick with that.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 06:29:50 PM »

Does Liechtenstein have any purpose in existing? Just let Austria or Switzerland have it.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »

Does Liechtenstein have any purpose in existing? Just let Austria or Switzerland have it.
They clearly have a separate national identity. So yes.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:43:14 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_haven#Examples

There you have it. The entire purpose of Liechtenstein for existing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 11:05:38 PM »

I think it's time to do something about their weapons of mass destruction.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 03:02:42 AM »

Hilarious.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 04:14:45 AM »

Results

I am not sure whether the Prince has ever used his veto, but he threatened to veto an initiative which attempted to legalize abortion not too long ago. As a result, turnout was very low and the initiative failed narrowly.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 05:43:40 AM »

Neither does the current Swedish monarchy for their country - the first guy in their dynasty was a French soldier elected when the old line died out.
The Swedish monarchy does not make Sweden's laws.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies