SENATE BILL: Forest Restoration Act of 2013 (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:28:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Forest Restoration Act of 2013 (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Forest Restoration Act of 2013 (Law'd)  (Read 3768 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: January 30, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »

I'm still skeptical of 2.2. What kind of "efforts" are necessary to qualify for a tax break? Can I send a couple of guys with weedeaters to a vacant lot for a couple of hours one day and qualify for a 10% tax break?

^ Yeah, that struck me too.

It seems like we're swimming in tax breaks all of a sudden, and while I'm not necessarily opposed to reducing the corporate tax burden in some circumstances giving them a 10% tax cut (that's a pretty, er, large number) for planting a few trees is way over the top.

No doubt if that passed we'd see Microsoft and McDonalds et al sending their employees out to plant a few ferns once a month to get that juicy tax break.

I agree that the original requirement about a certain number of trees surviving to adulthood seems excessive - how on earth do we propose to measure that?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of a survival threshold, but how are we to measure such a thing? Check on the trees twenty years later and give the company a tax break then?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »

I support Senator Nix's amendment - it removes the requirement I was most concerned about, the clause requiring a certain percentage of trees to survive to adulthood, but I have to echo the concerns about imposing a uniform requirement for varied ecoysystems. I'm not an ecologist, so I can't speak with any authority about this, so I'm open to persuasion. I'm assuming some studies have been done on this...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »

I will vote for this if the amendment passes - however, should we consider imposing a limit on the maximum a company can be fined by the new Forestry Association?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »

I will vote for this if the amendment passes - however, should we consider imposing a limit on the maximum a company can be fined by the new Forestry Association?

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

What would the Senator think of as an appropriate amount for this limit?

I think we should put a minimum limit if you want to impose a maximum.

Agreed, that's a good idea too.

I don't know what kind of figures you all want to deal with here - naturally we don't want just a slap on the wrist that a corporation can shrug off but I don't think it's good policy to be excessively punitive.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »

I'll be the first to admit I literally have no idea what the appropriate penalty would be here. Are there, er, very small logging companies that would suffer a blow from being find $5,000?

I second Nix's point, too - let's not create anymore bureaucracy than absolutely necessary. We don't want to drown in a sea of red tape when all we're trying to do is get a few trees planted.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies