Is Obama a Muslim? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:54:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Obama a Muslim? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Obama a Muslim?  (Read 3478 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 02, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »

No. He's not much of a Christian either though.

This is sort of where I come down on the issue.  I'll take his profession of faith as enough to consider him a brother in Christ, but, in all honesty, I don't know of an instance where his Christian faith would trump (Oooh, I said "trump", lower case!) his political ideology, or, at least, the issue positions he is required to hold to be in good standing with the Democratic Party Establishment.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »

Isn't it sad that we even care what religion our President is?

Indeed. It's only because they play such a big role--if constitution-abiding libertarian was president, it wouldn't matter if they're Mormon, Muslim, Scientologist, Baptist, Anglican, Rastafarian, Sikh, or whatever. Personal belief shouldn't play a role in governing, but it does due to the fact politicians make the laws they want to see, while they should be making the laws best for everyone to co-exist and make their own choices, provided they don't harm others.

The idea that religion does not, cannot, should not play a role in governing is kind of silly, as we are a religious people.  That does not mean that our elected representatives should mandate theism or church attendance, but one's sincere religious faith ought to be a force in an individual determining right from wrong and acting on it.  It also ought to be a determinant in figuring out what issues are a matter for society to uphold for the sake of the rights of persons, and which issues are on the individual to decide for themselves and for the rest of us to tolerate thatever "it" is.

The idea that religious people somehow forfeit their right to expect their ideas to become public policy because of the role religious motivation played in bringing them to pass is just silly, but the "tolerance for me, but not for thee" secular crowd seems to have embraced this concept.  This, of course, is horse hockey, pure and simple.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies