538 Model Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:57:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  538 Model Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 538 Model Megathread  (Read 84419 times)
hopper
United States

« on: July 02, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »

Utah at R+6 seems too dem optimistic and they actually give Gary Johnson an >8% chance of getting an electoral vote because of those junk swing state polls with him getting 10-15% on average.
I don't think so since Mormons in Utah dislike Trump's rhetoric about Latino's and Muslims. Election Projection.com has Trump winning Utah by 7% points.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 11:28:37 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2016, 11:52:06 PM by hopper »

So the 2012 election boiled down to four states -- Colorado, Florida, Ohio, and Virginia, any of which would decide the election. Those states are different enough and separated enough that there is no way to make an appeal that could resonate in all four of those states without
shifting America on the whole.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There has been movement in party affiliation due to demographic shifts.  Not seismic, but incremental.  Virginia looks a little bit more like Maryland.  North Carolina looks a little bit more like Virginia.  Georgia looks a little bit more cosmopolitan and less Southern every year, though this change is not enough to put it in play just yet.  The industrial Midwest is getting whiter, and more Republican, while the Sunbelt is getting more diverse, and more Democratic.

Combine this with the type of candidate Donald Trump is, and how he built his appeal, and the model may need tweaking.  Florida and Virginia may be too diverse to be within Trump's reach, and Ohio may be too white and industrial to be within Clinton's reach - in a close election. I also believe Nate Silver's model for PA is built too heavily on outlier polls (+11 and +13 polls when there is a preponderance of tied or +1-4 polls).  

I think if there are four states that decide the election, they are now Colorado, Iowa, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania.  It still is, of course, Clinton's to lose, and Trump's to lose spectacularly, as you say, but those four states are now the critical path.
I don't think Virginia will ever have the Black Population that Maryland has but I will give you that NOVA looks more like Maryland than most of rest of Virginia.

I think North Carolina and Virginia always vote pretty similar in Presidential Elections.

Georgia-Yeah I went to the Atlanta Suburbs last year and I expected a culture shock with a bunch of people with Southern Accents but there was nobody really with a Southern accent barely. Basically its a Southern area that's basically Northern now.

The Industrial Midwest is basically is staying D.

Hillary I think will win Ohio. Romney got 55% of the white vote according to Nate Cohn. So Trump would have to get 58% of the White Vote to win the state I think even in a 2012 electoral climate.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »

I'll just go with the "Now Cast Model" and just look at that model on a daily basis which still has Hillary winning.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:04:21 AM »

Polls-Plus showed Trump not getting any convention bounce for Election Day 2016. His odds still stayed at 40% of winning the election. Maybe I should go back to polls-plus instead of now-cast.
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 02:32:44 AM »

What model did Silver use in 2012? Polls-Plus, Polls-Only, Or Now Cast? I thought he only used one model in 2012.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 03:08:03 PM »

Interesting that Arizona's gone back in Clinton's direction after leaving her after the convention bounce but Georgia hasn't
I think Hillary will win AZ by a thin margin but lose GA because the White Vote is more D in AZ than it is in GA.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies