CNN An 8.8-magnitude earthquake has struck Japan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:15:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  CNN An 8.8-magnitude earthquake has struck Japan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN An 8.8-magnitude earthquake has struck Japan  (Read 35868 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: March 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »

The key thing right now is to not believe what any of the official types are telling you.

Not that it really matters, since we're not in Japan (prayers for anyone who is), but that's the main fact to remember.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

The key thing right now is to not believe what any of the official types are telling you.

Not that it really matters, since we're not in Japan (prayers for anyone who is), but that's the main fact to remember.

A cnn or bbc article implied that the Japanese have a tendency to cover up issues with their nuclear power plants....I guess this is what you're getting at.

Most Asian countries have a tendency to do this on all issues (I think it's cultural, actually), but Japan has been, historically, one of the worst.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »

As usual, Franzl is way ahead of the curve...

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/europe/news/article_1625603.php/Germany-promises-inspection-of-German-nuclear-plants
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »

Preemptive strategy, no doubt.  9.1 earthquakes are really a threat in Germany, after all...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:12:18 PM »

Preemptive strategy, no doubt.  9.1 earthquakes are really a threat in Germany, after all...

Correction - and likely it was made in response to this:

http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFLDE72B08H20110312
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »

Beet, that map is BS.

That being said, the dumping of seawater is a last-ditch effort that indicates they're likely f-ed.  And I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that area if the worst does occur.  But we're still talking about a limited area and whatever is directly downwind within a certain hundreds of miles.

The real problem is that we don't know the answers to what is really going on.  You can never trust the Japanese.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »

Folks, Chernobyl is about as bad as your going to get from a nuclear plant disaster.  The chances of this one being Chernobyl-scale is pretty close to nil for a number of reasons (first of all the Soviets did not care about anyone, period), so imagine what are the odds of it being worse.

I still wouldn't want to be within 100 miles of these plants (or downwind a bit further).  Nor do I believe anything the Japs say (yet again).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies