Can Elizabeth Warren's message resonate in the Midwest?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:03:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Can Elizabeth Warren's message resonate in the Midwest?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Can Elizabeth Warren's message resonate in the Midwest?  (Read 3123 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »

I can't see her winning Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, or Iowa. Michigan would be a toss-up. Illinois would be lean Democrat. Minnesota would be safe Dem. It wouldn't be pretty.

Why do you assume she would do so badly? Warren is critical of Wall Street and we all know that Wall Street is sooooo popular in middle america.

She's a far left politician and Obama is soooooo unpopular in middle America right now.
no

Who is one then?
None within the context of American politics
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »

Until the Republicans run an honest-to-Eisenhower moderate they are going to lose Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota... and Ohio will be no sure thing for the Republican especially if the Republicans push an anti-labor agenda and appeal to the ignoramus vote that sees nothing wrong with American life that can't be solved by putting prayer back in the schools and replacing evolution with young-earth creationism.

Considering states outside the Midwest, they would still lose Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and probably Virginia as well. 

Neither McCain or Romney said any of the ridiculous things in your last post...  Democrats simply made them look like they were radical in their ads.

No they didn't, but they didn't discourage them either and that's the problem.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 11:43:39 PM »

I can't see her winning Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, or Iowa. Michigan would be a toss-up. Illinois would be lean Democrat. Minnesota would be safe Dem. It wouldn't be pretty.

Why do you assume she would do so badly? Warren is critical of Wall Street and we all know that Wall Street is sooooo popular in middle america.

She's a far left politician and Obama is soooooo unpopular in middle America right now.
no

Who is one then?

American politics is all that's relevant here, and I don't see how Republicans can be characterized as right wing if the most liberal Democrats aren't "left wing" (yes, I'm considering left wing and far left synonymous).
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 12:21:41 AM »

American politics is all that's relevant here, and I don't see how Republicans can be characterized as right wing if the most liberal Democrats aren't "left wing" (yes, I'm considering left wing and far left synonymous).

What makes Warren so far left wing? She isn't Bernie Sanders, she has the views of a typical liberal Democrat. She is nowhere near as far out of the mainstream as high profile Republicans like Ted Cruz.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 12:26:15 AM »

According to FiveThirtyEight she would be the most left wing candidate since George McGovern:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/elizabeth-warren-would-be-the-most-liberal-democratic-nominee-since-1972/
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 01:38:27 AM »

no

Who is one then?

Not Warren maybe, but what about Bernie Sanders?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 06:34:41 AM »

no

Who is one then?

Then you're using words wrong
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 06:35:54 AM »

no

Who is one then?

There's really nothing seperating Bernie from your standard liberal democrat
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 06:41:31 AM »

Until the Republicans run an honest-to-Eisenhower moderate they are going to lose Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota... and Ohio will be no sure thing for the Republican especially if the Republicans push an anti-labor agenda and appeal to the ignoramus vote that sees nothing wrong with American life that can't be solved by putting prayer back in the schools and replacing evolution with young-earth creationism.

Considering states outside the Midwest, they would still lose Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and probably Virginia as well. 

Neither McCain or Romney said any of the ridiculous things in your last post...  Democrats simply made them look like they were radical in their ads.

I refer to the next election. McCain had the economy wrecking his effort. Romney showed himself a pathological narcissist.

At the minimum I see Elizabeth Warren winning Gore '00 states + New Hampshire. That won't be enough.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »

A Reagan-Bush Republican is a "far left politician"? Huh
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »

A Reagan-Bush Republican is a "far left politician"? Huh
Yes, because politicians never change their opinions and evolve on issues. That's why Reagan was  a Democrat, Obama is against gay marriage, and Lincoln never wanted to free the slaves.

How is Warren remotely "far-left"? Can you even name one or two specific examples?

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2015, 05:28:05 PM by PR »

no

Who is one then?

There's really nothing seperating Bernie from your standard liberal democrat

Bernie says what many liberal Democrats (and many others, for that matter) want to say, but can't (or won't) because they don't want to be subject to a bunch of campaign ads* and virulent rage by some Teabaggers who believe that slightly raising the minimum wage is Leninism.

*All generously financed by shameless billionaires who see themselves as "rugged individualists" bravely fighting  against the real (leftist-liberal) elite.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »

As the economy continues to recover, Warren's message (and that of any populist) loses resonance.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 01:28:11 AM »

Her populist rhetoric would play well in the Rust Belt cities I would say, but she is very much not right for the suburbs of this region. Suburban Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland swung hard for Obama and just may stay there for Clinton. I can't see them doing so for Warren as they are generally not attracted to the extremes of either party. I don't necessarily think that that would hurt her that greatly, and I think she actually is a decent fit for the region.

Here's how I think she would fare off the bat vs Generic R:

90% = safe
50% = likely
30% = lean
DS0816
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »

If Elizabeth Warren runs for president and wins the Democratic nomination, can her message play well in the Rust Belt states, or will the Republicans counteract her message with her being too progressive for the region?

Elizabeth Warren resonates with everyone who isn't among the haves. Those who are among the have-nots who are sociopaths also have a problem connecting (as they generally do not just with the topics of politics and elections but for so many other issues).

She is exactly who the status quo, shaping policies, does not want in the presidency. (Remember the disgusting Wall Street suckups from CNBC, who interviewed her a year or so ago? I don't know if the video is still available.)

As for the Rust Belt states: The Democrats, not the Republicans, are the ones with their base of support from that area of the United States. So, that particular "concern" is uninformed.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 12:14:08 AM »

Suburban Cleveland swung hard for Obama

Since when? Obama only improved Kerry's margin of victory in OH-10 by 3 points despite improving upon his national margin by 9. All of the counties surrounding Cuyahoga except Geauga trended toward the Republicans in presidential elections from 2000-2008. Obama did better than Kerry in Cuyahoga County overall but his improvement was almost entirely in the city of Cleveland and not the suburbs. There was almost no difference between the suburban Cleveland vote from 2004-2008.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2017, 01:38:09 AM »

Hillary Clinton has no message. She has no ideas. Her platform on her website will consist of generic Democratic platitudes that some staffer will write up that she won't even read. The same will go for her speeches. She will expect to win the presidency just because she is Hillary Clinton. Wall Street will support her enthusiastically. She will do nothing to reform our economic system but will continue the status quo policies of Obama. Hillary really is the Tom Dewey of 2016.

If it resonates with everyone besides ardent teabaggers, then why did Warren underperform Obama by 15 points in 2012 in a state where teabaggers are basically irrelevant? Yes, Scott Brown was popular, but if Warren's message is apparently so powerful that it's going to completely upend trends and modern political coalitions and bring millions of Republican voters on the Democratic train, you think we would've seen some evidence of that, rather than the exact opposite occuring.

And lol at that last paragraph. This forum is like a magnet for anti-Hillary hacks.

LOL, indeed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies