How I know I am old...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:00:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  How I know I am old...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: How I know I am old...  (Read 2654 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »

I think you can get that combo at pretty much any chain restaurant... hell if a place has a pasta dish, a quesadilla dish, and any type of fish youre good to go

... dear lord... where do you people eat!

That's an important thing to learn about americans, plonut - they'll accept anything.

I know... I lived there... but it always surprised  me when they would choose a chain store or the food court over a nice cafe which made everything fresh...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »

I know... I lived there... but it always surprised  me when they would choose a chain store or the food court over a nice cafe which made everything fresh...

They're so brutalized they've no idea what they're doing Polnut.  You can't really blame them - they're just victims.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »

So... clarence... did you get any 'pudding'?
HAHAAAA... not this time pal
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »

So... clarence... did you get any 'pudding'?
HAHAAAA... not this time pal

Well, go for it next time.. or the jello, or the 'pie'...

AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

They're so brutalized they've no idea what they're doing Polnut.  You can't really blame them - they're just victims.

Ugh, I hate it when I have to agree with you! LOL, but yeah.. I don't get the whole going to a chain place like that, I find it pretty gross. Don't get me wrong, I'll do a food court if thats all there is, but I'd prefer to go somewhere that my food is prepared fresh for me. Especially over a buffet, wher dozens of people have touched MY food. No dice.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »

We just went to Golden Corral last Friday.  It was full of great tasting food.  My normal plate consists of somekind of meat, either Ham or Fried Chicken or BBQ Brisket and mashed potatoes with white gravy, and corn.  My dessert usually consists of a bowl of Banana Pudding topped with Vanilla Ice Cream or Orange Sherbet.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 11:15:22 AM »

We just went to Golden Corral last Friday.  It was full of great tasting food.  My normal plate consists of somekind of meat, either Ham or Fried Chicken or BBQ Brisket and mashed potatoes with white gravy, and corn.  My dessert usually consists of a bowl of Banana Pudding topped with Vanilla Ice Cream or Orange Sherbet.

So the diet is going good then.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »

When I go out to eat, I am not concerned with my diet, it's a time to relax.  I pick my diet back up when I get home.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »

When I go out to eat, I am not concerned with my diet, it's a time to relax.  I pick my diet back up when I get home.

Bushie, that sounds about a whole days' caloric intake from one meal.  Additionally, I have never heard you mention any exercise so you aren't going to burn it off.   You are basically throwing away a week of responsibility out in one meal.   You aren't going to lose weight if you do that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »

Bushie, that sounds about a whole days' caloric intake from one meal. 

Really? sounded like a normal meal to me..
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »

Bad Place chain store food is impossibly dense.  that BBQ Brisket sh**t probably has 1400 calories.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »

Bad Place chain store food is impossibly dense.  that BBQ Brisket sh**t probably has 1400 calories.

Well, I'm rather fond of beef brisket bbq from individually owned shops when I'm at home..
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »

Well, I'm rather fond of beef brisket bbq from individually owned shops when I'm at home..

or making it myself.  wrap it sh**t-tight in foil, make a nasty mix of ketchup and onions and spices, and leave it in the oven at 275 for 16 hours.  tender as a Mofo.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »

This thread makes me hungry for Americana. Maybe I'll go to the buffet today. I haven't been in years.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »

Here is my guesstimation from his posts and general plate sizes

Ham- 220 calories
BBQ Brisket- 400-500
Fried Chicken 250-350 per piece
Mashed Potatoes 320
Gravy 75?
Corn 100
Banana Pudding 600 
topped Vanilla Ice Cream 100

What potentially makes it even worse is washing it down with 400-500 calories of sweet tea or soda.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »

Ham- 220 calories
BBQ Brisket- 400-500
Mashed Potatoes 320
Gravy 75?
Corn 100
Banana Pudding 600 

What potentially makes it even worse is washing it down with 400-500 calories of sweet tea or soda.

Interesting.. so eliminating the banana pudding and ice cream, and drinking plain unsweetened tea would pretty much bring it into line.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »

Ham- 220 calories
BBQ Brisket- 400-500
Mashed Potatoes 320
Gravy 75?
Corn 100
Banana Pudding 600 

Interesting.. so eliminating the banana pudding and ice cream, and drinking plain unsweetened tea would pretty much bring it into line.

Maybe, I mean I was being pretty forgiving with portion size estimates.  I mean if you take like a pound of brisket or several pieces of fried chicken then you are doing horribly. Portion and plate sizes have gotten so large that most people don't really even know how much they are consuming. I'm really in no position to preach since in the past Id think nothing about quaffing 2000+ calories of beer or liquor. I just don't think Bushie realizes some of this stuff. Eating that much or like 1600 calories of pizza in a single sitting and you will not lose weight but will instead gain.  Not to mention your metabolism slows doing every year and it gets harder to take off every year. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »

ewww.  

You had me up to that point, but ketchup?  

Man, it's brown sugar, green onion, soy sauce, prickly ash, and garlic.  Lots of it too, diced very fine.  Wrap it up in foil and lit it sit in the fridge all day.  In the evening, put it in the oven at 275.  Next morning, voila!  Breakfast of champions.  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »

Ugh, overuse of garlic is awful, angus.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »

In the evening, put it in the oven at 275.  Next morning, voila!  Breakfast of champions.   

I get afraid I'm going to incinerate myself if I cook something overnight.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »

Ugh, overuse of garlic is awful, angus.

I was talking to a guy a few days ago who was telling me that he stopped using garlic for a while.  Said he was just going to see if he could handle cooking without garlic.  He said that lasted two weeks.

I eat garlic in everything.  I can't imagine how you could overuse it.  I can see how it can be misused, though.  Garlic should be sweet, whether roasted or sauteed, it should only be cooked a short times or on low heat, in order to break the alpha-1,4 linkages in the homopolymers and release the sugars.  The problem with garlic isn't that it's overused, but that it's misused.  Lots of folks burn it, and that's when you get bitter garlic rather than sweet garlic.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »

I often find the foods here to be slightly too garlicky, though I never find them too spicy.  Of course no garlic at all would be bad, but a moderate amount is best.  As for the chili peppers I've  no such limitation.

In particular I find certain soups to be too garlicky, in the main - with non-soup dishes excessive garlic is much more rarely a problem.

Mulling it over I just realize - it is only a kind of toasted garlic I think that really bothers me.. so maybe it is the cooking style.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »

Opebo are you overweight?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »

though I never find them too spicy.

I never find Thai food to be too spicy.  I had lunch at a Thai restaurant in Boston a few days ago.  Tuesday, I think it was, and I ordered the thing on the menu that had the most asterisks (asterisks apparently indicating spice concentration, and this dish was the only one with three).  I like most everything with losts of chilis, so I got the spiciest thing on the menu.  It was disappointly mild.  Not that it wasn't tasty, in fact I enjoyed the flavor, as I almost always enjoy Thai food, but going down (and coming out) it didn't burn me.  I guess I'm de-sensitized by now.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2012, 03:57:08 PM by opebo »

Only very slightly, clarence.  I look 'average' with no noticeable belly (till you get my clothes off!), and weigh about 190 on a 5'10" mesomorph frame.

I never find Thai food to be too spicy.  I had lunch at a Thai restaurant in Boston a few days ago.  Tuesday, I think it was, and I ordered the thing on the menu that had the most asterisks (asterisks apparently indicating spice concentration, and this dish was the only one with three).  I like most everything with losts of chilis, so I got the spiciest thing on the menu.  It was disappointly mild.  Not that it wasn't tasty, in fact I enjoyed the flavor, as I almost always enjoy Thai food, but going down (and coming out) it didn't burn me.  I guess I'm de-sensitized by now.

To be honest - and I'm not saying this to be a food snob - Thai food in the US is really nothing like Thai food here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies