Ukrainian parliamentary election - 26 October 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:40:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukrainian parliamentary election - 26 October 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ukrainian parliamentary election - 26 October 2014  (Read 18086 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: October 27, 2014, 10:46:06 PM »

Volya means Will, I think. Anyone got any idea who they are?

Freedom, actually. To Svoboda's Liberty.

To be fair, all three concepts are sort of tied up with each other, and I might be missing nuances in the Ukrainian that aren't present in the Russian, but as a native Russian speaker who also speaks fluent English, I would say that Svoboda=Freedom, Volya=Will, and that Liberty would probably best be translated Vol'nost', which comes from the same root as 'Volya'.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 04:43:36 PM »

Volya means Will, I think. Anyone got any idea who they are?

Freedom, actually. To Svoboda's Liberty.

To be fair, all three concepts are sort of tied up with each other, and I might be missing nuances in the Ukrainian that aren't present in the Russian, but as a native Russian speaker who also speaks fluent English, I would say that Svoboda=Freedom, Volya=Will, and that Liberty would probably best be translated Vol'nost', which comes from the same root as 'Volya'.

Volya has multiple meanings in Russian. It is used in expressions like "last will" (последняя воля), it is true. But it is also used in expressions like "to set at liberty" (выпустить на волю). Given the words of the Ukrainian anthem ("Ще не вмерла України ні слава, ні воля") I would take the context to be the latter. Though, of course, the double meaning is there.

I would translate the word volya in both of the latter terms as "freedom" (vypustit' na volyu=to set free; sche ne vmerla...volya=not yet has died...the freedom). But we're really arguing over semantics -- all of these words are hairs away from being synonyms.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies