Regional Consolidation: Where to draw the lines? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 09:18:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional Consolidation: Where to draw the lines? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regional Consolidation: Where to draw the lines?  (Read 2938 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 17, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »

Move over, boys, and let me show you a man's map:

• Virtually equal in population.
  • Panders to the Mideasterners by keeping the vast majority of the region together (which is frankly as much as any region could expect).
  • By keeping the vast majority of all five regions intact (and two of the regions completely intact), we minimize the likelihood of increased movements following its implementation.
  • While I haven't crunched the exact numbers yet, by my glance it would seem that all three regions would be very competitive on both a partisan and ideological level.

Effectively, the ME & MW would merge, along with the PAC & IDS. Now I know some are going to say, "Adam, that red region looks ridiculous". Maybe just a bit, but stay with me here.

The current Mideast would lose Virginia, Maryland and Nyman to the new "Eastern" region. The Midwest would be preserved (save for Oklahoma) and join the bulk of the Mideast to form the "Mid" region.

The Pacific would be preserved in its entirety and join the bulk of the IDS, along with Oklahoma to form the "South-West" region. North Carolina and South Carolina would be transferred to the "Eastern" region.

The Northeast would be preserved in its entirety and join the remnants of the Mideast and IDS to form the "Eastern Region".

Areas in lighter colors below show the total number of territories that would be impacted by this redistricting (as in, territories that would no longer be with the bulk of their current region). 6/53 ain't bad.

EDIT: Whoops. Doing a disservice to a fabulous former Labor President by not including our Canadian friends in the calculations. Each Canadian territory is left with the bulk of its native region:

Just to be clear, this post is not a commitment to support your map or anything like that.  That being said, props to you for coming up with the best/fairest three region map I've seen so far.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »

Honestly, I am starting to think a three region map might not be so bad (especially if it starts from scratch with regional boundaries, I'd definitely prefer this to preserving everything but the Mideast).  Griffen has made some pretty good points (and interesting maps) and I have actually had something of a change of heart on this issue as a result.  However, I don't think I can possibly support it unless (sorry if this has already been addressed) I see a convincing and through explanation of what problem this will actually fix (I've heard inactivity bandied about, but I don't know if that's the pro-consolidation consensus or just one person) and more importantly, how it will fix the problem.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »

Honestly, I am starting to think a three region map might not be so bad (especially if it starts from scratch with regional boundaries, I'd definitely prefer this to preserving everything but the Mideast).  Griffen has made some pretty good points (and interesting maps) and I have actually had something of a change of heart on this issue as a result.  However, I don't think I can possibly support it unless (sorry if this has already been addressed) I see a convincing and through explanation of what problem this will actually fix (I've heard inactivity bandied about, but I don't know if that's the pro-consolidation consensus or just one person) and more importantly, how it will fix the problem.

Is anyone going to even try to provide a good explanation for what problems this would fix and how it would fix them?  I suppose silence is an answer of sorts, but surely someone from the pro-consolidation side can a least make a go of it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »

Well done Mr. Griffin Smiley  I must say that I hadn't expected your argument to be so persuasive!  I still strongly oppose abolishing the regions, but I think it is clear that five or perhaps even four aren't enough to force competition through competing interests.  At this point, I would definitely support a three region map, especially if it redraws all of the regions from scratch (the Mideast shouldn't be singled out for destruction).  If you accomplish nothing else, you have converted at least one formerly anti-region reduction Atlasian.  That said, I do think NM-AM bares a good deal of the blame for the Pacific's current state (which is not to say it wouldn't be a mess even without them).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies