Does anyone else fear violence regardless of the result?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 08:19:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Does anyone else fear violence regardless of the result?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone else fear violence regardless of the result?  (Read 381 times)
Obama24
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2024, 08:23:35 PM »

If Trump loses, god knows what he will do or incite. His supporters will NOT accept a second loss, and at this point he'll have nothing to lose by outright inciting violence. He's most likely going to jail anyway if he loses.

If Biden loses, many people see that as the end of our democracy. Many are afraid we will be plunged into a Nazi Germany-like state overnight.

With such heightened emotions regarding the outcome in November, am I alone here in being worried that either way, things are gonna be ugly after November?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 08:35:17 PM »

No because the Natl Guard will be called out
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 09:52:12 PM »

Sure, 'cuz MAGA will MAGA regardless!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 10:06:17 PM »

At a minimum, threats will happen.

Outside of January 6, most fears of MAGA violence haven't come to fruition (maybe aside of some isolated events like the Paul Pelosi assault). But what made January 6 so distinct? Could it have been that Trump was directly involved? So if that's the case, something will probably happen.
Obama24
Rookie
United States
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 10:11:26 PM »

Outside of January 6, most fears of MAGA violence haven't come to fruition (maybe aside of some isolated events like the Paul Pelosi assault). But what made January 6 so distinct? Could it have been that Trump was directly involved? So if that's the case, something will probably happen.

My feeling is Trump is becoming more unhinged. He is also 10x angrier and more vindictive than he was in 2020. He genuinely I think feels that he is being 'persecuted' by Biden. I can see him giving no f-cks and doing his absolute best to burn the kingdom down, so to speak, if he loses this time. At this point he doesn't have much to lose, and the fact that he remains unpunished 3 years later (yes there are trials, but no convictions, etc) has grown his ego all the more. He also does not believe he was wrong with the January 6th insurrection, calling the people who were violent 'hostages.'

I just have a bad feeling about it all.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 10:13:37 PM »

My feeling is Trump is becoming more unhinged. He is also 10x angrier and more vindictive than he was in 2020. He genuinely I think feels that he is being 'persecuted' by Biden. I can see him giving no f-cks and doing his absolute best to burn the kingdom down, so to speak, if he loses this time. At this point he doesn't have much to lose, and the fact that he remains unpunished 3 years later (yes there are trials, but no convictions, etc) has grown his ego all the more. He also does not believe he was wrong with the January 6th insurrection, calling the people who were violent 'hostages.'

You're not wrong, but that's still the better outcome than if a retributive Trump with nothing to lose becomes President again, and is enabled to use his power to exact revenge.
Obama24
Rookie
United States
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 10:17:20 PM »

You're not wrong, but that's still the better outcome than if a retributive Trump with nothing to lose becomes President again, and is enabled to use his power to exact revenge.

That's another thing. I don't think many of our fellow Democrats realize just how angry this man is now. He is fueled by nothing more than the desire for revenge. I don't think many are taking seriously enough what could happen if he is re-elected. The hyberolic talk of the end of democracy etc that we have heard since 2015 is falling on deaf ears, as it is the boy who cried wolf now. But now there's a genuine reason to fear a Trump Presidency - he is out for blood. I believe if re-elected he'll do everything he can to make the lives of anyone who stood opposed to him hard. Your average Joe doesn't care to hear that since they've heard it since 2015.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 01:43:20 AM »

That's another thing. I don't think many of our fellow Democrats realize just how angry this man is now. He is fueled by nothing more than the desire for revenge. I don't think many are taking seriously enough what could happen if he is re-elected. The hyberolic talk of the end of democracy etc that we have heard since 2015 is falling on deaf ears, as it is the boy who cried wolf now. But now there's a genuine reason to fear a Trump Presidency - he is out for blood. I believe if re-elected he'll do everything he can to make the lives of anyone who stood opposed to him hard. Your average Joe doesn't care to hear that since they've heard it since 2015.

Speaking for myself, I personally don't think it was exaggeration to expect the worst from Trump. What we got from him was probably even more unthinkable.

We Democrats cried wolf in 2012 with Romney.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 12:03:52 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2024, 12:43:50 PM by Suburban Republican »

When political violence isn’t condemned, it becomes an acceptable form of political expression. January 6 and the refusal by Republican lawmakers to condemn the actions of President Trump has opened up a Pandora’s box that people on the right refuse to believe has been opened because any attack on Trump (legitimate or not) is an attack on them. People on the left are equally as naive in that they believe their condescending treatment of anyone who is white/male/straight/christian/rural etc. won’t ever create the kind of backlash on the right that can mix with the intrinsic militarism of the far right to create some truly evil and bloody reactionary movements.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 12:07:10 PM »

I don't see much happening aside from protests if Biden loses. If Trump loses, who knows what will happen. He has spent 4 years whipping his diehard supporters into a frenzy, so you may see some crazy things. Fortunately, Biden will be in office and will call up the National Guard to make sure a J6 attack doesn't happen again.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 08:11:27 AM »

I don't see much happening aside from protests if Biden loses. If Trump loses, who knows what will happen. He has spent 4 years whipping his diehard supporters into a frenzy, so you may see some crazy things. Fortunately, Biden will be in office and will call up the National Guard to make sure a J6 attack doesn't happen again.

I'm less concerned about this than I used to be.  It seems like a lot of the most fervid Trump supporters (the type who would be most inclined to violence) have either lost their energy for it, or view any organized protests as setups for arrest, or both.  It's telling that people used to worry about massive unrest if Trump actually went on trial for anything, but that hasn't happened so far in the Manhattan trial.  There have been no more than a handful of pro-Trump protesters outside the courthouse each day (yesterday there was only one) and they've been peaceful.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 09:51:48 AM »

No
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 10:08:54 AM »

I don't see violence coming from the far left as a likely direct outcome of the election. However I could certainly see things deteriorating after trump takes office and violence coming about then.

And we have already seen the far right violently react to election results. So then certainly could again...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies