Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 05:44:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 109582 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2015, 08:17:09 PM »

Fred Harris GOTV
Nebraska
-Use surrogates
-Appeal strongly to rural voters
-Win the Native American vote
-Do well in the Omaha Black community
-Win big in Lincoln
-Push for delegates

West Virginia
-Get a BIG win
-Carry out an efficient mass mobilization with surrogate help
-Appeal to miners
-Get the union vote locked down
-Portray Sam Yorty as an out of touch flip-flopping mayor
-Discuss experiences in poverty
-Talk about the importance of party loyalty
-Win among the poor and working classes
-Bus union workers to the polls
-Have union endorsements

Connecticut
-Appeal to Hartford white ethnics and minorities
-Get the student vote from Yale and UConn
-Get some delegates
-Push hard among union workers
-Talk about support for the ERA
-Minimalize Yorty/Wallace by attacking their racism and anti-woman ideas

Michigan
-Push hard for delegates
-Appeal to auto workers by talking about economic plans
-Win the college vote over McGovern
-Get the Black vote through Jesse Jackson
-Help bus voters to the polls
-Push back on Yorty and Wallace by calling out their lacking economic plans
-Make it all about jobs and wages

Maryland
-Don't spend too much
-Get the Baltimore Black vote
-Win some counties out west near WV

Washington
-Don't spend much here
-Use surrogates
-Be the winnable anti-war candidate
-Emphasize Vietnam/Veteran plans
-Appeal to Seattle youth
-Win over McGovern votes by talking about his vote for the Gulf of Tonkin res

Oregon
-Don't spend much
-Use surrogates
-Emphasize Vietnam/Veteran plans
-Get votes in Portland, Eugene, and Salem
-Pose as the anti-war winnable pick
-Win over McGovern votes by talking about his vote for the Gulf of Tonkin res

Rhode Island
-Shoot for delegates
-Appeal to Italians, Portuguese, and other naturalized immigrants
-Get the inner city Providence vote
-Talk about jobs, the war, and inflation
-Get the union vote locked down

General
-Fend off Yorty's attacks by highlighting his weaknesses as mayor and lack of experience
-Attract Yorty  and Wallace supporters by talking about why Fred Harris better stands for job creation and union rights
-Attack
-Take voters from Muskie by highlighting Muskie's flip flopping
-Attract Muskie support by discussing Harris' pragmatic populism
-Take voters from McGovern by questioning his electability and coopting his anti-war support by talking about Harris' more responsible plans
-Attack Mo Udall by questioning the viability and details of his economic ideas
-Get Udall supporters by emphasizing Harris' true populism
-Pull together a coalition
-Get moderate students active
-Spend some on mailers with Harris' record
-Fundraise via mailers and luncheons
-Turn out "Students for Harris"
-Work hard in California and Texas
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2015, 11:58:32 PM »

Does Wallace even have any money for ads after last turn?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 12:29:20 AM »

Press Conference

REPORTER: "Senator Harris, what needs to be done for a more equitable economy?"
HARRIS: "First, we must raise the minimum wage to $2.00, as I have called for. This step pushes thousands of Americans out of poverty without damaging small businesses. Second, we need to rewrite the tax code so as to erase corporate loopholes and use this revenue to expand the social safety net. Third, there needs to be a large scale jobs program. In my administration, this will come from investment in roads, bridges, airports, and other key infrastructure investments."

REPORTER: "Right now, it appears that the Democratic Convention will be a brokered one. Will you stay in the race until the very end or throw your support behind a compromise candidate?"
HARRIS: "I think it's too early to decide on a definitive convention strategy. That will very much depend on the next few weeks. I'd like to see a wide choice for Democrats, and I'm possibly willing to support a fellow true populist who preaches the politics of hope if that's what it takes to nominate a reasonable candidate. However, our fight alongside the American people must continue, so for now, I'm staying in."

REPORTER: "American farmers continue to struggle. What will you do to help?"
HARRIS: "Having grown up on a family farm, I know what it takes to save this glorious American trademark. My administration will institute an executive order that encourages the government, in prison systems, the military, and schools, to buy American-grown, American-picked food. Also, I will make sure that price supports are equitable and balanced. By making sure that the big businesses pay their taxes, the mom and pop farmers can get relief."

REPORTER: "How will your administration deal with rising prices?"
HARRIS: "I've been rolling out a plan piece by piece. The first aspect of a proper system of price controls comes from directives to the federal reserve to change their monetary practices to slow inflation. Secondly, making the government more efficient will allow for economic policy to be more flexible and effective. I will eliminate excessive red tape and duplication within regulatory agencies, to prevent redundancies and increased costs being passed on to consumers. Third, I will work with congress to increase the minimum wage. In combination with my jobs plan, this will spur the economy through added spending, allowing the economy to grow and increasing wages across the board. Fourth, I am proposing 'recession insurance' for municipalities and states. This fund would be of assistance to state and local government in case of an economic crunch so that they can fulfill spending needs for things like education. Fifth, and finally, for now, we will break up monopolies on certain industries that raise prices at their whims, to the detriment of consumers."

REPORTER: "Say something nice about each of your opponents!"
HARRIS: "Yes, haha. I promise you, despite some of the policy conflicts I have, I can say something nice about each one of the fellas I face for the nomination. First, I'll start with Senator Muskie. Senator Muskie has a vast amount of experience and a deep knowledge base, which I truly respect. Having worked with him, I can attest to his loyalty to the party and its goals. Representative Udall has worked tirelessly in the house, and I can see him climbing the party's ranks. He's got a bright future ahead. Next up, Senator McGovern is my favorite opponent. He's a remarkably well versed, kindly, honest man. I truly admire his passion for helping others, especially with all of his work to combat hunger. Moreover, Governor Wallace has strong convictions, and while we disagree on many issues, I can respect his passion. He's managed to cultivate such popularity in his home state. Mayor Yorty, I know he and I fight a lot, and I won't back down from debating the record, but at the end of the day, he's a decent guy. I'd quite like to have a beer with him and discuss football. I somehow doubt we can even agree on sports preferences, but it'd be a fun time. Like we always say in Oklahoma, sports and politics are two of the most divisive, but important issues."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »

Career Failure
(TV)
"Mayor Yorty truly has guts. He has the guts to lie about my record and run away from his own career record of failure.

First, to address his lies about me. I have always addressed busing as part of the general solution to racism. I've said over and over that I plan to solve issues of prejudice through more effective ways, and that although I personally see busing as decent, I think it comes down to the American people. America, don't mistake a moderate common-sense stance for flip flopping. My stance on busing is the only one that truly reflects the will of the people. I don't believe all Americans are extremists. Saigon Sam is trying to trick you. You and I grew up with the same values of honesty and hard work, not extremism and nasty demagoguery.

Mayor Yorty's trying to mask his own record, but lucky for us, it's pretty well known in California. Mayor Yorty is no outsider. He has spent nearly 40 years in politics. Why don't we look into his status?He's been all over the place. In 1936, he got support from the local Communist Party. Isn't that interesting? However, in 1960, he abandoned the Democratic Party entirely to support Richard Nixon. That's right, the same Richard Nixon who's taken an ax to our economy and damaged our global standing. Where is the commitment to Americans? All I see is opportunism. Mayor Yorty resorts to baseless false attacks because he doesn't want to tell you about his terms as mayor. He failed to prevent riots when he could have done so by addressing community concerns. He let crime increase. In fact, to drive home his career politician lifestyle, Mayor Yorty was implicated in a scandal involving bribes being handed to port officials. Heck, Sam Yorty recently sued a cartoonist for criticizing his reign as mayor. Is this the kind of behavior that reflects on a so-called maverick? Party switching, bribery, crime? Sounds like an insider to me. Mayor Yorty's a career politician who doesn't belong in the white house. Let's send him back to his ritzy country club.

I'm tired of politics as usual, and I'm sure you are too. Vote for the people. Vote for Harris.

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »

Prediction:

Texas was hard; I think McGovern will eventually pull ahead after Wallace and Harris split the conservative vote.

Harris? You mean Yorty, right?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »

Fred Harris Speech Louisville, Kentucky
"Today, I'm apologizing. I rang up Mayor Yorty earlier to apologize for my unfortunate savagery at the debate. I asked him if we could lessen the mudslinging a bit. I am dearly sorry that this campaign has gotten to the sad state of questioning each other's overall integrity and very humanity. I'm calling for a lot less mudslinging. I was partly at fault through this, but I have learned and grown, and I sincerely hope that Mayor Yorty can accept my proposition, and that we can each focus on our merits without tearing each other down quite as much. I understand that this is a competitive race, but at the end of the day we're Democrats, and the last thing we want is a repeat of 1968. I'm not calling for a total end to any contention; I know with different policy stances, rifts will emerge, and I understand that sometimes these need to be brought up. A look at the record is fair. However, personal attacks on integrity and humanity are not. You'll recall, early on in this campaign, I came to the defense of Senator Muskie's family from savage personal attacks. The issue is the same. I'm talking about solutions to the issues that affect the daily lives of so many Americans. I believe and hope that my fellow candidates are ready to do so as well. This will be a difficult convention, and we need unity.

I'm running on an expanded fight against poverty, a check on the political privilege of Wall Street, a responsible winding down of the war, and a choice for the people on divisive issues.

Today, I'm asking for your help. It doesn't matter if you pitch in $2 or $200. An hour, or a day. Together, we'll break the special interest mold. We shall rise above politics as usual. I'm out here fighting for the unions, the poor, the families, the small business owners. We need to see past divisions and labels as we move forward. The Democratic nominee ought to have a united party behind them. Thank you all for coming out tonight, and I expect we'll get great things done here in the wonderful state of Kentucky."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2015, 09:21:50 PM »

Overall Strategy
-Due to the newest polling data, the Harris campaign will be diverting funds away from California and closing down both offices in the state.
-The Harris campaign is opening an office in Dallas, one in Houston, and one in New York City.
-Ad buys in California will come to a halt
-Messaging will focus on economic issues first and foremost
-Harris will portray himself as very electable and a solid compromise candidate for the convention

Economic Forum Invite
-Fred Harris is cordially inviting George McGovern and Mo Udall to a forum about the economy. (I'll write up some questions to answer. This is a forum style deal, not a debate per se)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »

Harris Endorsers

Former New Jersey Governor Richard J. Hughes

"Fred Harris is the right pick for all residents of New Jersey, from Ocean City to Trenton to Newark. I know he stands for our values."
Activities: Governor Hughes will spend this time organizing/fundraising in New Jersey week 1 and then he'll coordinate GOTV in New Jersey week 2.

Former Kentucky Governor Edward T. Breathitt

"During my time as governor, we created 57,000 jobs for Kentuckians, reduced property taxes, and ended discrimination. I see only one candidate who can achieve these kinds of goals on a national level, and that's Senator Fred Harris. My economic expertise tells me that he's spot on. Fred Harris will keep Kentucky growing."
Activities: Breathitt will be conducting GOTV in Kentucky and then he'll be in New Mexico doing GOTV.

Former Texas Senator Ralph Yarborough

"My whole career, I fought for the vulnerable and oppressed. I'm so happy to see an electable populist candidate in Fred Harris. I'm confident he has what it takes to defeat Richard Nixon, because I know the people cannot afford another 4 years of the status quo. These are taxing times, and there's no better leader than Senator Fred Harris to lead us through these times."
Activities: Yarborough will be the Texas campaign chair. He'l be organizing and fundraising all across Texas, reaching out to supporters and spreading the word.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2015, 01:29:13 PM by VPH »

The New Economy Forum

Hello, and welcome to the ever-lovely Denver Colorado! Today, we're going to have a showcase of the economic beliefs of Senator George McGovern, Senator Fred Harris, and Representative Mo Udall. We'd like to thank Senator Harris for the idea for this forum. The rules, predetermined, are that each candidate will answer 4 questions posed to him, two from each other participating candidate. This is supposed to be a showcase for the people, not a debate. The rules have been discussed and are in place. We thank all of the participants for taking this time to be here! Please pay close attention to and answer the following questions:

To Senator McGovern
From Rep. Udall:
"Some concerns with your electability have been raised. While Representative Udall's thirteen points below Nixon can be put down to name recognition, why are you able to change voter's minds to pick up thirteen or fourteen percentages of the popular vote when most have already made up their mind on you, and would economics be an important role in changing their minds?"

From Sen. Harris:
"Could you please explain your plans to simplify the welfare system? I have heard a bit about your Demogrant proposal and want to know more details."

From Rep. Udall:
"Why are you the best candidate for creating economic growth and for the people looking for a progressive economic agenda?"

From Sen. Harris:
"Americans are struggling under the yoke of exorbitant levels of inflation. What will you do to keep prices down for consumers?"

To Senator Harris

From Rep. Udall:
"Why are you the best candidate for creating economic growth and for the people looking for a progressive economic agenda?"

From Sen. McGovern: "Senator, what is your plan for tax rates, and how would you deal with the Nixon administration's regressive tax cuts in office?"

From Rep. Udall
"You have been known to compromise and make deals in Congress. What candidates would you say are the most skilled at economics and would choose to be your running-mate in the event of a brokered convention?"

From Sen. McGovern: "Social Security and Protecting our Seniors are a rising issue in America. How would a Harris administration help protect children and the elderly?"

To Rep. Udall

From Sen. Harris:
"Could you please make your stance clear on the minimum wage?

From Sen. McGovern: "Mr. Udall, as you know, I come from Midwestern states with strong agricultural roots. In recent years the family farm has been declining, how would you deal with this as President?"

From Sen. Harris: "How will you fix the growing trade deficit and encourage growth in American exports?"

From Sen. McGovern: "Each year over 14,000 American workers are killed on their jobs, and nine million injured. As President how would you deal with these horrible tragedies?"
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Question 1
"I believe out of this field that I'm the best economic progressive because my platform combines a concern for small town America with true care for urban areas too. No economic plan is complete without meeting the needs of all Americans. My support of a $2.00 minimum wage is pragmatic and likely to pass congress, but also helps millions of Americans without harming small businesses. My tax plan simplifies the code to make entrepreneurship easier and lower rates on working Americans. It's this pragmatic progressivism that we need to see."

Question 2
"I've presented an outline for a tax plan, but I'll present a more fleshed out version tonight.
1. We will rewrite many of the regulations and modernize the IRS. This is the plan's backbone. It involves reducing the amount of paperwork people and businesses have to fill out every April.
2. My plan will lower the lowest 3 tax bracket rates to 10%, combining them and saving working Americans large amounts of money.
3. All Americans making $3,000 to $16,000 will get a 1% tax cut.
3. Next, my plan increases the top tax rate to 73%, still 4% lower than it was in 1965. The second highest and third highest tax rates will merge from 68% and 69% to 71%. The fourth highest tax bracket rate will increase .5%. The money raised from this plan will fund the aforementioned tax cuts for the working and middle classes.
4. My administration will close loopholes for major corporations that let them get off tax free.
5. Deductions for Wall Street corporations will be cut and the estate tax will be raised slightly on the rich, providing enough money for universal healthcare.
6. Returning Vietnam veterans will receive a tax deduction."

Question 3
"Indeed, I've proven able and willing to work with all elected officials to get the people's agenda passed. The most economically skilled candidates, still running and not, include Governor Jimmy Carter, Senator Mike Gravel, Senator Muskie, and Senator McGovern. While I don't necessarily agree with them on all of the issues, they're all well versed on the economy. Economics, as the focal point of my campaign, would be key to my running mate selection. I'm not ready to pick a running mate, but as I said in the last debate, I know that the best vice presidential pick would reflect the wonderful qualities of our sadly deceased friend Mayor John Lindsay. Any VP selection will undergo a thorough vetting process and they will mirror our campaign's pragmatic populism."

Question 4
"A Fred Harris administration will ensure the long-term viability of social security. I will raise the contribution cap so that we can increase social security benefits for all Americans. Moreover, aside from just Social Security, my policies prioritize our more economically vulnerable young people and elderly folks. I am proposing a government scholarship program that lowers the cost of college and allows poor students who meet certain guidelines to go to a public college for free. This is paid for by our tax reform. Moreover, I will increase investment into struggling schools and give states the chance to modernize their curriculum. With money saved from ending the war, we will invest in local community centers to provide a safe, enjoyable space for all members of the community to interact. Not only will this lower crime among youth, it will be of use to everybody, including the elderly, who can interact with eachother, attend classes, or just have fun. Furthermore, our universal healthcare system will lower costs for everybody and cover all Americans, young or old."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2015, 05:14:45 PM by VPH »

Previous Harris Endorsers
Alan Cranston: Sen. Cranston will be fundraising in DC and New York for Fred Harris.
William Ford: Rep. Ford will be fundraising.
John Dempsey: Gov. Dempsey will fundraise in New Jersey week 1 and do GOTV there week 2.
Benjamin Smith: Fmr. Sen. Smith will do GOTV in New Jersey week 2. Week 1 he will be in Nevada doing GOTV.
Kevin White: Mayor White will do GOTV in New Jersey week 2 and attend to mayoral duties week 1.
Louis Stokes: Rep. Stokes will organize black voters in Newark, Trenton, Camden, and New York City.
Joseph Clark: Fmr. Senator Clark will do GOTV in Kentucky week 1. Week 2 he will do GOTV in Eastern Colorado and Colorado Springs.
Frank G. Clement: Fmr. Gov. Clement will be doing GOTV in Kentucky and then fundraise in week 2.
John Brademas: Rep. Brademas will be carrying out congressional duties.
Patsy Mink: Rep. Mink will do GOTV in Jersey City and fundraise in New Jersey.
Chip Yablonski: Yablonski will turn out the miner vote in Kentucky for Harris. Then, he'll be in Colorado talking to unionized miners and rocky mountain inhabitants.
Henry Howell: Lt. Gov. Howell will do some GOTV in Kentucky. Then he'll be in Virginia doing his normal job.
LaDonna Harris (wife)Sad Fred Harris' wife will be organizing Native Americans in Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, and South Dakota.
Robert Kastenmeier: Rep. Kastenmeier will attend to congressional duties and fundraise in DC.
Bill Clay: Rep. Clay will organize voters in Buffalo, NY. Week 2 he will fundraise in New Jersey.
Frank Morrison: Fmr. Gov. Morrison will be in charge of South Dakota organizing and GOTV.
Jay Rockefeller: SoS Rockefeller will do GOTV in Kentucky and Arkansas.
Dave Obey: Rep. Obey will attend to congressional duties and do some GOTV in New Jersey.
Ross Bass: Fmr. Gov. Bass will help with GOTV in Arkansas, specifically in the Eastern portion of the state. Week 2, he'll be in Texas organizing.
Ernest Gruening: Gruening will do GOTV in Nevada, fundraise, and then spend time organizing from the NYC office.
Claude Pepper: Rep. Pepper will do GOTV in Arkansas. Week 2, he'll be doing congressional work.
Jesse Jackson: As Black Outreach Coordinator, Rev. Jackson will split these weeks between outreach to black voters in Little Rock, the MS Delta, Las Vegas, Newark, Houston, and Dallas.
Henry Maier: Mayor Maier will spend time in Colorado organizing and fundraising.
Mike Monroney: Fmr. Sen. Monroney is the Oklahoma/Texas campaign chair. Week 2 he'll be organizing in Oklahoma and Texas. Week 1 he will do GOTV in Arkansas and Kentucky.
Bill Roy: Rep. Roy will help with GOTV and organizing in Colorado through both weeks.
J. William Fulbright: Sen. Fulbright will lead the GOTV/turnout effort in Arkansas and marshal over the whole process. Week 2, he'll be attending to senatorial duty.
Phillip Berrigan: Fr. Berrigan will help do GOTV and mobilize students at Princeton, Rutgers, UColorado Boulder, and Colorado State University. He will also organize at Columbia University, NYU, and City University of New York.
Jennings Randolph: Sen. Randolph will do GOTV in Kentucky. Week 2, he will be organizing and fundraising in Western New York.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »

Good Times on the Trail
May 24
Coordinating volunteers/speech: Little Rock, AR
GOTV w/J. William Fulbright: Little Rock, AR
GOTV w/J. William Fulbright: Pine Bluff, AR
GOTV w/J. William Fulbright: El Dorado, AR

May 25
Rally about farm policy: Garland City, AR
GOTV w/J. William Fulbright: Texarkana, AR
Town Hall/GOTV: Hope, AR
GOTV w/Ross Bass: Arkadelphia

"American farmers are sick of being shown the cold shoulder. We need to make sure family farmers have the price supports necessary to continue their livelihood."

May 26
GOTV: Hot Springs, AR
GOTV w/Claude Pepper: Fort Smith, AR
GOTV w/Claude Pepper: Bentonville, AR
GOTV w/Claude Pepper: Jonesboro, AR

"Arkansas, vote for progress and unity. Don't let anybody divide you, but rather, cast a vote for an electable, proven, hardworking candidate like me. Let's take the high road and not resort to ugly cheapshots and attacks."

May 27
GOTV: Jonesboro, AR
GOTV: Paducah, KY
GOTV: Owensboro, KY
Rally about jobs: Elizabethtown, KY

May 28
GOTV: Louisville, KY
Town Hall/Fundraiser: Louisville, KY
GOTV: Frankfort, KY
GOTV: Georgetown, KY

"My tax plan is the only one that lowers taxes on the middle class, makes the system simpler, and spurs a stronger fight against poverty."

May 29
GOTV: Lexington, KY
Fundraising Luncheon: Lexington, KY
GOTV: Paris, KY
GOTV w/Chip Yablonski: Flemingsburg, KY

May 30
GOTV w/Chip Yablonski: Prestonburg, KY
Marching with miners and Chip Yablonski: Harlan, KY
GOTV w/Chip Yablonski: Pikesville, KY
Watch Party with miners w/Chip Yablonski: Pikesville, KY

"I'm tired of the scabs. I hear constantly of the tragic murders of union members, but it's only now that I truly see the damage that these conglomerates are doing to communities. Young men are dying in the crusade for unionization, and I will stand beside them for this whole journey. There's no excuse that here in America, companies are hiring thugs to suppress workers. Let's make democracy a part of the workplace. That way, workers get treated right and more gets done."

May 31
Flight to Denver, CO
Rally at UC Boulder w/Fr. Berrigan: Boulder, CO
GOTV: Arvada, CO
GOTV on the North Side: Denver, CO
Fundraising: Denver, CO

"We'll need your help because we don't take from the big special interests. Recent polls have shown our campaign closing in on Richard Nixon, but we can't wrap up these primaries and secure the nomination without resources. Please pitch in. I don't care if it's $2 or $200, we appreciate your help. The people will unite for Harris!"

June 1
GOTV in the rest of the city: Denver, CO
GOTV: Aurora, CO
GOTV w/Joseph Clark: Colorado Springs
Rally about jobs/GOTV w/Joseph Clark: Pueblo, CO

June 2
GOTV: Canon City, CO
Luncheon: Vail, CO
GOTV: Rifle, CO
GOTV w/Chip Yablonski: Grand Junction, CO
Flight to Newark, NJ

June 3
GOTV: Hoboken, NJ
GOTV w/Jesse Jackson: Jersey City, NJ
Town Hall/Rally about jobs: Union City, NJ
Barnstorming at local restaurants: Jersey City, NJ

"This nation was founded on liberty and justice for all. I will carry on Martin Luther King and Robert F. Kennedy's tireless crusades against poverty and racism if elected. We need all races on board to solve tensions, keep the peace, and give every American a fair chance."

June 4
General GOTV: Newark, NJ
GOTV tailored to the ethnic vote: Newark, NJ
GOTV w/John Dempsey: Elizabeth, NJ
GOTV w/John Dempsey: New Brunswick, NJ

June 5
GOTV w/John Dempsey: Trenton, NJ
GOTV/Speech about investing in cities: Camden, NJ
GOTV w/John Dempsey: Cherry Hill, NJ
Rally about inflation: Vineland, NJ

"Serving on the Kerner Commission, it became apparent to me that something has to be done about the decline of American cities. This means job creation, educational access, and healthcare. With investment in infrastructure and other job creation programs, we can revitalize struggling cities and keep our streets peaceful and successful."

June 6
GOTV w/John Dempsey: Atlantic City, NJ
Presser/Town Hall: Atlantic City, NJ
GOTV w/Rep. Dave Obey: Tom's River, NJ
GOTV and watch party: Middletown, NJ
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2015, 09:40:21 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2015, 09:57:46 PM by VPH »

Track Record
(TV)

Union Worker: "Senator Fred Harris has what it takes to be a truly great president. I've been a Democrat my whole life and never have I been so excited to help a candidate!"

Farm Family: "We know Senator Harris isn't politics as usual. His background as a lawyer protecting the common man and woman makes him especially qualified to represent our interests and the interests of all Americans."

Fred Harris: "I think my track record speaks for itself. During my time in congress, I spearheaded an in depth study on how to keep peace in our streets, helped open up the Democratic primary process, forged compromise to restore historic Taos lands, and worked hard on behalf of unions, workers, and small businesses. I hope to continue fighting for the peoples' interests in the White House."

Narrator: "Senator Fred Harris is an electable populist. Gallup polling shows him as one of the strongest candidates against president Nixon, falling just outside the margin of error."

Fred Harris: "If you want a populist Democrat who can win this election and unite the party, you ought to vote for Senator Fred Harris."

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2015, 09:56:36 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2015, 09:59:09 PM by VPH »

GOTV Strategy

Arkansas
-Turnout the Black vote in the Delta region and in Little Rock
-Win the Black vote by a substantial margin
-Perform strongly among farmers by highlighting long record of farm policy ideas
-Win counties near the Oklahoma border
-Run a values-focused, family centered campaign
-Base talking points on electability
-Appeal to Muskie, McGovern, Udall supporters as the pragmatic choice to unite the party and win
-Appeal to Wallace and Yorty supporters by highlighting record of pro-union votes and work

California
-Light fundraising
-Don't spend money here, it's a lost cause

Kentucky
-WIN the coal mining vote and win Eastern Kentucky by a large margin
-Neutralize Meany's endorsement by talking about Harris' ground work in the state
-Appeal to Wallace and Yorty supporters by highlighting record of pro-union votes and work
-Win among family farmers
-Target evangelical values voters
-Run on populist rhetoric
-Run against the 'anti-coal' interests
-Highlight electability
-Use surrogates to their fullest potential
-Push for a big win
-Fend off attacks by taking a 'high road' approach
-Talk about education issues to suburban Louisville voters

New Jersey
-Win among ethnic voters
-Turn out the black vote for Harris in Newark, Trenton, and Camden
-Get the student vote
-Dig into McGovern and Udall support by highlighting the need for party unity
-Get the Catholic vote
-Highlight electability
-Neutralize McGovern support by emphasizing anti-war and pro-ERA plans
-Highlight pro-middle class tax plan when talking to McGovern voters
-Talk about education issues to suburban voters

Nevada
-Do well among natives
-Don't spend money here

South Dakota
-Do well among natives
-Shoot for maybe 10%-15%

New Mexico
-Perform strongly among hispanic voters
-Talk about anti-war credentials
-Highlight electablity
-Sap McGovern's support by talking about how Harris' war plans are responsible
-Talk taxes and minimum wage
-Win the native vote
-Shoot for delegates

Colorado
-Win the student vote
-Take McGovern's support by talking about Harris' responsible anti-war plans
-Talk about education issues to suburban voters
-Talk about Harris' healthcare plans
-Focus on his support for the ERA
-Do well among hispanics
-Get delegates

Overall
-Stay with the economic populist message and distinguish self through detailed tax, education, and health plans
-EMPHASIZE ELECTABILITY POINT
-Take populist stance on social issues
-Win in New Jersey and Kentucky. Get delegates in Arkansas, Colorado, and New Mexico
-Play the high moral road
-Target McGovern supporters through progressive pragmatic rhetoric
-Win among minority voters
-Get high rural support
-Get high support among workers and blue-collar ethnics
-Sap Yorty and Wallace support by talking about electability and polling
-Talk about Wallace's support for nationalization
-Stay away from personal attacks
-Use surrogates
-Target moderates with a message of party unity
-Target conservatives by emphasizing economics and Harris' personal story
-Target progressives with economic stances
-Target religious voters with appeals to morals

Random Activities
-The New York office will be doing a mailer to fundraise in the region
-A Buffalo office is also opening
-Harris' senate office in OKC will become a campaign office
-Phonebanks will be operating with volunteers on a frequent basis in Texas and New York
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »

Fred Harris Statement on Recent Events
"First of all, I'd like to thank you, all the voters, volunteers, and staffers who helped us secure big wins in three key states. I also want to extend my congratulations to Mayor Yorty for winning California. We're still in this race; we're polling third and rising. McGovern's stock is sinking and ours is skyrocketing. It's time for the anti-war Democrats and the populists to unite behind my candidacy. At the convention, we'll be the ones to unify the party. Remember, we're polling near the margin of error against Nixon. This general election race is ours, as long as the party unites and we all work hard. I'm talking to uncommitted delegates and convincing them as to why the Democratic Party should unite around a Harris candidacy. There may only be a few weeks until convention time, but let's win Oklahoma, Texas, and New York!!"
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2015, 05:51:03 PM by VPH »

Fred Harris-The Prairie Populist Rolls Onward
June 7
GOTV: Wilmington, DE
Rally about racial equality w/Jesse Jackson: Wilmington, DE
GOTV: Newark, DE
GOTV/Fundraising Dinner: Dover, DE
Flight to Tulsa

"America, we need to move past division, hatred, and labels. This is, after all, the United States of America, not the divided states."

June 8
Rally about inflation/GOTV: Tulsa, OK
GOTV/Fundraiser: Oklahoma City, OK
GOTV: Wichita Falls, TX
GOTV: Gainesville, TX

June 9
GOTV: Denton, TX
GOTV/Town Hall: Fort Worth, TX
Press Conference/Fundraiser: Arlington, TX
GOTV: Arlington, TX

REPORTER: "Are you in this to win it in Texas?"
HARRIS: "Well, I'd like to believe I am. First of all, we have such an incredible ground game here, and with the help of my many endorsers, we're hitting turf all across this state, turning out voters. i know Texans share our values, and I'm sure that our hard work here will pay off. We're going for the big win over Yorty, Muskie, and the rest of 'em here."

REPORTER: "What's the best part of the great plains?"
HARRIS: "Maybe I'm biased, but the people here are so warm-hearted and kind."

June 10
GOTV on the west side: Dallas, TX
GOTV in the inner city w/Louis Stokes: Dallas, TX
Rally/Speech about jobs at Fair Park: Dallas, TX
GOTV/Fundraiser: Garland, TX

June 11
GOTV: Waco, TX
GOTV: Austin, TX
UTAustin Campus Tour and Rally about Vietnam: Austin, TX
Rally about Vietnam/Fundraiser: College Station, TX

"Hello UTAustin! I'm loving this city and this state. Let's fight for our rights as Americans. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness! Life is hard to come by without health, which is why I support healthcare reform. Liberty won't happen so long as we're chained to Vietnam."

June 12
GOTV w/Ralph Yarborough: Houston, TX
Lunch with workers/Town hall: Houston, TX
GOTV w/Ralph Yarborough: Pasadena, TX
GOTV/Rally about poverty: Beaumont, TX

June 13
GOTV w/Ralph Yarborough: Galveston, TX
GOTV w/Ralph Yarborough: San Antonio, TX
GOTV w/Mike Monroney: Corpus Christi, TX
Rally about civil rights: Laredo, TX

"Candidates don't tend to talk to Mexican-American communities because they brush them off. I don't think that's right because I care about all people. My reforms to rural policy and the economy will kickstart this region and bring lasting prosperity."

June 14
GOTV w/Ralph Yarborough: Austin, TX
Fundraiser/Rally about jobs: Fort Worth, TX
GOTV w/Claude Pepper: Dallas, TX
Watch Party: Lawton, OK

June 15
Flight to Buffalo, NY
Fundraising luncheon/GOTV w/Jennings Randolph: Buffalo, NY
GOTV w/Jennings Randolph: Tonawanda, NY
Town Hall/Presser: Niagara Falls, NY

June 16
GOTV: Rochester, NY
GOTV: Syracuse, NY
Campus rally about Vietnam at Syracuse University w/Fr. Berrigan: Syracuse, NY
GOTV: Albany, NY

"I'm the only candidate who's been consistently against the war and consistently in favor of a more people-centered, democratic economy."

June 17
GOTV: Poughkeepsie, NY
GOTV: Yonkers, NY
GOTV: Mt. Vernon, NY
GOTV: New Rochelle, NY

June 18
Canvassing GOTV in African American areas w/Jesse Jackson: Bronx, NY
Speech at Fordham, University: Bronx, NY
GOTV in Hispanic areas: Bronx, NY
Dinner with workers/Town hall: Bronx, NY

June 19
GOTV w/Jesse Jackson and Louis Stokes in Harlem: Manhattan, NY
GOTV at City University of NY, Columbia, and NYU w/Fr. Berrigan: Manhattan, NY
Huge rally/Fundraiser/GOTV in Central Park: Manhattan, NY
GOTV at public housing complexes w/Robert Weaver: Manhattan, NY

"The war on poverty is far from complete. Housing is an integral part, which is why I've pledged to invest in housing, infrastructure, and schools in our cities. This is how to achieve more job creation, security, and an end to poverty."

June 20
GOTV among ethnics in Astoria: Queens, NY
GOTV/Rally about unions in Jackson Heights: Queens, NY
GOTV w/Jesse Jackson in Bed-Stuy: Queens, NY
GOTV: Brooklyn, NY
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »

Fred Harris Endorsements

TX-19 Representative George Mahon

"I can't stand this division. I'm supporting the true unifier, Fred Harris, and Texas, you should too!"
Activities: Rep Mahon will be in charge of GOTV efforts in Western Texas (Amarillo, Lubbock, El Paso, Odessa, Midland, Abeline)

Fmr. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Robert Weaver

"I've spent my career working to alleviate poverty in urban areas and provide safe, clean, housing for all Americans.  From the time I spent on FDR's Black Cabinet to my tenure as New York Rent Commissioner to my time as HUD Secretary, I've especially kept in mind the underprivileged and disadvantaged. Senator Fred Harris shares my concerns, and I support him fully in this race."
Activities: Weaver will spend these next two weeks in New York City, organizing, fundraising, and doing GOTV in poorer areas of town.

Speaker of the House, OK-3 Representative Carl Albert

"I have the pleasure today of announcing the whole hearted endorsement of my good friend Senator Fred Harris. I've worked with him for years and know his commitment to the people. My experience in congress has shown me that at the helm of the White House, we need a fighter who knows how to reach out to others despite ideological differences. I know that Fred Harris is the president we need. Not only will he fight tooth and nail for the Democratic agenda, but he'll also get things done for the people, which is something we all need."
Activities: Rep. Albert will do some GOTV in his district (2 days) and spend the next 5 in Eastern Texas conducting GOTV. Then he's off to New York to do more GOTV.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »

Previous Harris Endorsers
Ralph Yarborough: Fmr. Sen. Yarborough will spend week 1 doing GOTV in Central Texas. Week 2 he'll be in upstate New York canvassing.
Edward Breathitt: Fmr. Gov. Breathitt will be in Delaware, doing GOTV. After, he'll be fundraising.
Richard Hughes: Fmr. Gov. Hughes will be in New York City barnstorming and fundraising.
Alan Cranston: Sen. Cranston will be fundraising and organizing in and around Houston week 1 and then NYC week 2.
William Ford: Rep. Ford will be in Delaware helping with GOTV efforts. Week 2 he will be in Western New York doing GOTV.
John Dempsey: Fmr. Gov. Dempsey will barnstorm Delaware week 1 and then do GOTV on Long Island week 2.
Benjamin Smith: Fmr. Sen. Smith will do GOTV in Delaware and Maine week 1. Week 2 he'll be in Central NY doing GOTV.
Kevin White: Mayor White will be calling and talking to uncommitted delegates and former Gravel/Carter/Lindsay/McCarthy supporters about the convention.
Louis Stokes: Rep. Stokes will organize black voters in Dallas, Houston, and Wilmington week 1. Then he'll attend to congressional duty.
Joseph Clark: Fmr. Senator Clark will do GOTV in East Texas week 1 and then Western NY week 2.
Frank G. Clement: Fmr. Gov. Clement will be barnstorming Oklahoma for Fred Harris. Week 2 he will be in and around Buffalo doing GOTV.
John Brademas: N/A
Patsy Mink: Rep. Mink will spend these weeks as the Asian-American outreach coordinator stationed in New York. She will focus on growing support and turnout among this group.
Chip Yablonski: Yablonski will be in Western New York week 2. Week 1 he'll be doing his MFD work.
Henry Howell: Howell is chairing GOTV efforts in Delaware and will mobilize volunteers, make ads, and fundraise.
LaDonna Harris (wife)Sad Fred Harris' wife will be doing GOTV in Oklahoma among Native American communities in Eastern OK. Week 2 she'll be touring upstate New York talking to voters.
Robert Kastenmeier: Rep. Kastenmeier will do GOTV in New York City week 2. Week 1 he'll be doing a speaking tour in Manhattan.
Bill Clay: Rep. Clay will organize and turn out voters in San Antonio and far South Texas. Week 2 he will fundraise in DC.
Frank Morrison: Fmr. Gov. Morrison will do GOTV in rural Texas. Week 2 he'll be in Albany, NY working on turnout efforts in Central NY.
Jay Rockefeller: SoS Rockefeller will do GOTV in Northern Texas and Southwestern Oklahoma. Week 2 he'll be back in WV.
Dave Obey: Rep. Obey will conduct GOTV in Delaware and then do GOTV in Syracuse, Rochester, Albany, and Ithaca.
Ross Bass: Fmr. Gov. Bass will help with GOTV in Arkansas, specifically in the Eastern portion of the state. Week 2, he'll be in Texas organizing.
Ernest Gruening: Gruening will be turning out voters in Dallas and Houston week 1 and then doing GOTV in New York among anti-war activists.
Claude Pepper: Rep. Pepper will do GOTV in Eastern Texas. Week 2 he'll be in DC doing congressional stuff.
Jesse Jackson: As Black Outreach Coordinator, Rev. Jackson will split these weeks between outreach to Black voters in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Beaumont, Port Arthur week 1 and then outreach to Blacks in Bronx, Brooklyn, Buffalo, and Albany week 2.
Henry Maier: N/A
Mike Monroney: Fmr. Sen. Monroney is the Oklahoma/Texas campaign chair. Week 1 he will spend 2 days doing GOTV in Oklahoma and the remaining 5 canvassing and making calls in rural Texas.
Bill Roy: Rep. Roy will spend all of week 1 doing GOTV in Oklahoma and week 2 in upstate New York barnstorming.
J. William Fulbright: Sen. Fulbright will help with turnout efforts in Texas week 1 and do his work in DC week 2.
Phillip Berrigan: Fr. Berrigan will help do GOTV and mobilize students at UDelaware, UTDallas, UTAustin, NYU, Columbia, Fordham, and City University of New York.
Jennings Randolph: Sen. Randolph will do GOTV in Texas week 1 and New York week 2.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2015, 06:02:20 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2015, 06:15:26 PM by VPH »

Fred Harris Ad-Looking Forward
(TV)

NARRATOR: "While this primary has been quite the tough fought battle, we all know that at the end of the day, after the convention, we'll have to come together for the general election. Some candidates like Mayor Sam Yorty continue to shout out baseless attacks on others. We don't need more of the same. We need positive hope for our future."

HARRIS: "That's why I'm asking for your vote. I've got a long record of success, and recent polling by Gallup shows that my message is uniquely getting across, pulling the Democrats to within the margin of error against President Nixon. Why not take a look at why so many Americans across this nation support our movement? I grew up like many Americans, poor, but through the help of the New Deal programs, my hard work helped me get to a place where I've served as a constant advocate for the underprivileged. We're the only campaign that will close the Wall Street tax loopholes to fund universal healthcare and make sure any good American kid can make it to college and secure a top career. My economic plans will simplify the tax code, spur small business, and save the middle class hundreds of dollars each year. This is what's called the peoples' economy. From small town Texas to big city New York, we'll create innovation, success, and equal opportunity for all Americans.

I was the first candidate to speak in favor of the ERA. We cannot ignore our women. For too long, women have been ignored, but I say we give them a fair chance. 

Moreover, I'm the only candidate who's consistently been opposed to war in Vietnam, and my plan is the only responsible one. We'll make sure we get back all of our POW's, withdraw troops, and negotiate a tough peace that the UN and the US aren't afraid to enforce.

I know not only peace abroad, but here at home. I served on the Kerner Commission, where many of the policy recommendations we produced are in my platform. After hundreds of hours of research, the commission's recommendations to keep peace here at home match up with what I've been saying. A spiral of violence, as we've seen become the policy in certain big cities, doesn't solve anything. Building up the economy is what matters most to solving crime.

It's time for a brighter future, America. The polls show it, our peoples' campaign is on the rise against Richard Nixon. When I look forward, I see a more prosperous, a more progressive, and a more pragmatic America. I see the glory our founding fathers saw."

NARRATOR: "It's time for a change. It's time for Fred Harris."

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »

GOTV Efforts

Texas
Statewide
-Talk about background as a poor farmer
-Talk about personal values
-Emphasize populism
-Talk about the economy
-Focus on how electable Harris is compared to McGovern and Yorty
-Take the moral high ground
-Talk about consistency

Big Cities
-Benefit from high Black turnout and win the Black vote
-Talk about Kerner findings and keeping peace in the streets
-Talk about pragmatism
-Push back against any attacks
-Talk about education and healthcare issues
-Make job creation the big focus, as others are not as prepared here

Suburbs
-Emphasize electable status
-Talk about the need for pragmatism
-Talk about keeping peace in the streets
-Focus on tax reform for the middle class

Rural Areas
-Talk about record
-Discuss property tax relief and tax simplification
-Make agricultural expertise a big focus
-Talk about family background
-Refer back to the New Deal often and honor FDR's legacy
-Win Hispanic voters downstate
-Discuss issues in terms of morality, values, and responsablity

Delaware
General
-Get delegates
-Win big among the black voters
-Focus on electability
-Talk about strong record on the war
-Talk tax reform
-Talk middle class
-Reach out to North Delaware working class voters
-Win the union vote
-Dig into Udall support by talking about Harris' minimum wage and tax plans
-Emphasize pragmatism

Maine
-Don't spend too much here
-Maybe get 10% in Aroostook County

Oklahoma
-Win with over 50% of the vote
-Get HUGE victories in Little Dixie
-Turn our Blacks in Tulsa and OKC
-Talk about taxes, rural policy, etc
-Perform very strongly among Native Americans
-Use record, surrogates, and background in the state
-Fend off attacks

New York
Statewide
-Appeal to Muskie and McGovern voters by talking about consistency on the war
-Talk a lot about tax reform and job creation
-Emphasize electability over Udall and McGovern
-Spend money for results
-Take the high, principled, road
-Push 20%

NYC
-WIN the Black and Latino votes
-Emphasize previous friendship with John Lindsay
-Talk about Kerner Commission experience
-Use surrogates to advantage
-Mobilize big time through campaign offices
-Talk about consistent opposition to the Vietnam War
-Make education, healthcare, and jobs key issues
-Talk about how to reduce crime
-Talk about union connections

Long Island
-Vouch with ERA support
-Dig into McGovern, Yorty and Udall support by talking about electablity
-Talk about pragmatic record
-Neutralize Yorty by talking about Harris' better platform on education and taxes

Buffalo/Niagara Region
-Get the message to workers via union focus
-Talk about the need for inflation control
-Win Black voters
-Make education, healthcare, and jobs key issues
-Appeal to women with ERA support

Ithaca, Syracuse, Rochester
-Win the student vote by talking about how consistent Harris' Vietnam policy is
-Talk about the ERA
-Make education reform a KEY issue
-Emphasize how better fleshed out Harris' economic platform is over others

Rest of Upstate
-Talk about strong rural policies and family background
-Talk about tax reform
-Make the campaign focus the middle class
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2015, 05:57:30 PM »

Nominating Speech for Fred Harris by J. William Fulbright

"First, I'd like to welcome all of the wonderful Harris delegates to the convention! I hope you're all doing well! I've enjoyed these opening festivities, but it's time to get to business. I'm sick of things, America, and I know we all are. I'm sick of the continuing war in Vietnam. I'm sick of demagoguery, hatred, and division. Only one person here can guide the Democratic Party to unity and a big win in November. That man's name is Fred Harris. In the senate, I saw Senator Harris stand firmly for the people time and time again. Not only did he stand for tried and true populist credentials, but when he needed to get something done, Fred reached out to any listening ears and hammered out deals. It's so rare to see somebody with such a commitment to the people. I know with deep conviction that this country needs president Harris. We should, as a convention, unite around Fred Harris. Not only is he a true progressive on issues like Vietnam and the economy, but he also stands for the family values that have made out country such a fantastic place. He brings people together, be they White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, male, female, the list goes on. Democrats, it's time to evaluate our chances. Fred Harris is the most electable candidate in my opinion. I'm proud to nominate him for president in 1972. Let's do this, Democrats."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »

Fred Harris Presser

REPORTER: "Can the right or left wing win against Nixon?"
HARRIS: "I won't lie to the people. No extremist will beat Nixon. No candidate who unequivocally supports the war should be nominated by a party where most people oppose the war. How are you going to turn out your base? On the other token, advocating socialism won't win elections. We need a pragmatist populist with a long record of success, and that's my candidacy."

REPORTER: "What groups of delegates are you pushing for?"
HARRIS: "We're going for African American delegates. Reverend Jackson and my other surrogates have been reaching out to these delegates, be they from Florida, Arizona, Minnesota, or Illinois. Also, we want the support of women. We were the first campaign to endorse the ERA. I believe women should support Harris for president. We're in this to win it."

REPORTER: "Will you play dirty if that's what it takes?"
HARRIS: "I hope it doesn't come to that. I trust that my fellow candidates will not spread silly rumors or sabotage my candidacy. I'm here for a good clean convention, and I urge delegates to abandon any candidate who comes here to play dirty DC games."

REPORTER: "Can you tell us why you stand out for uncommitted delegates?"
HARRIS: "Well, I've been consistently against the war, supporting a responsible end that doesn't leave a power vacuum. Moreover, you know what I stand for. My economic policy is the most responsible, equitable, and fleshed out out of any candidate. Support the people, support Harris."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2015, 04:47:44 PM »

Senator Fred Harris Speech
"This will be a long convention unless we come together. First, I'm calling on supporters of Sam Yorty to switch their support to our campaign. While Sam is a good man, I believe that I'm the more electable candidate. The best path forward for this party is unity, and we need to come behind a consistent populist who espouses party unity. I upset the regulars by helping rewrite the party rules. That experience is why we are here today as a truly Democratic body. We need somebody with proven experience fighting for the people on a federal level. I've done it in the party and I've done it out of the party, in the senate.

Take a look at the delegate count thus far. We've got support and it continues to grow as people look ay my record in the senate and my plans for the future. We need to come together. If you're supporting a candidate who's polling lower than 40% against Richard Nixon, come on over to the Harris side. We're in this to win it."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2015, 10:19:26 PM »

Fred Harris Presser

REPORTER: "What are your thoughts on the mudslinging of this convention?"
HARRIS: "I don't like it, and honestly I think it's a grand mistake. I think it's perfectly fine to dig into somebody's voting or endorsement record. Heck, when you have Democrats who vote for the war and Democrats who endorse Republicans for president, they need to be called out. However, after I backed off the deep attacks, I assumed my colleagues would too. I guess I was wrong. Mayor Yorty continued with mudslinging, and now others, presumably those with their own agendas, are hurling mud at him too. I say we step away from these tactics. That's how our party fell apart at the seams in 1968. Rumors, division, labels, and eventually violence. We do not want and frankly cannot afford another tumultuous convention that pulls the party apart. I plead, delegates, if you stand for a new politics free from mudslinging, beyond base personal attacks, stand with my campaign."

REPORTER: "What do you think about Birch Bayh?"
HARRIS: "Birch is a fantastic man with solid progressive credentials. I just think he's come in too late. The American people have gotten to see our plans and ideas, but he just hasn't been able to articulate those to the extent that the other candidates have."

REPORTER: "How much of a role should electability play into this convention?"
HARRIS: "No matter who our nominee is, I don't want and won't stand for another disastrous 4 years of Nixon. We need a candidate who can win a general election. Polling in the 30's is not acceptable because it doesn't even approach the margin of error. The unelectable candidates ought to shift support to those who can win. While electability is important, we still as Democrats need to stick up for our principles. We cannot waffle on the war in Vietnam or the ERA. We cannot abandon our brothers and sisters in the unions. Thus, I think delegates should look at the highest polling populist and support our campaign."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2015, 02:37:18 PM »

Fred Harris Speech

"We need to unite as a party to defeat Nixon. I have greatly enjoyed my time on the campaign trail talking to Americans of all races, creeds, and economic backgrounds about how to make the government a friend of the people, not a distant, oppressive, warmongering entity. It may come as a surprise that tonight, I am announcing my official endorsement of another candidate in this race. We must unite against the frontrunner Sam Yorty, who quite frankly, is not electable. While numerous candidates are wonderful and electable, I see one as a particularly principled, consistent, and skilled man. His name is Senator Birch Bayh, and I have had the pleasure of working with him during my time in the senate. He's always fought for the people, from extending the franchise, supporting the ERA, backing civil rights, and fighting for tax fairness and economic growth. I am confident that his campaign is the perfect vehicle behind which we should unite for a solid ticket to defeat Nixon and his entrenched interests. We are Democrats. Let's act like Democrats and support the strongest candidate here. I will continue to speak on behalf of Senator Bayh and reach out to delegates to get their support for his candidacy. To all who have helped on the Harris campaign, given our campaign money, or declared their support, LaDonna and I very much thank you personally. All good things must come to an end, and here, I see an opportunity for a winner who sticks up for the people. God Bless America and God Bless the Democratic Party!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies