Changes in the global political spectrum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:11:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Changes in the global political spectrum
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Changes in the global political spectrum  (Read 2417 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2004, 10:48:35 AM »

Over the last few weeks, we have seen some interesting events which will affect the political spectrum in the world over the next few years:

Arafat - dying
Castro - broken knee, signs of declining health
Karzai - 1st elected President of Afghanistan

Add into this the re-election of Bush (US), Howard (AU), Blair's (UK) run for a 3rd term in 2005, and the Iraqi elections in January, there is enough fodder here for some interesting changes in global politics.  As of this morning, it is reported that two members of Palestine will be taking over the powers of Arafat, which might re-open the dialogue between Bush and Palestine.  If Castro ends up dying, dialogue between the US and Cuba may resume (depending on who takes over).  If Blair loses his re-election campaign, Bush might lose one of his staunch allies in the War on Terror. 

There are many possibilities out there.  What do you think?

Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 02:07:30 PM »

Being a former resident of the British Isles, let me add my two cents on the Blair issue.  The fact that I last lived there at the age of seven is of no importance here.  Of course.

I can't see Blair losing the election at this point.  Even if he does, the Lib Dems won't be the ones winning, and they'd be the only party to pull the troops out of Iraq.

A leadership challenge and infighting within the Labour party could theoretically depose Blair, but the time for that seems to have passed.

If Labour somehow doesn't get a majority in Parliament, it's theoretically possible that some sort of coalition government would force a withdrawal from Iraq...but I doubt it.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 03:19:30 PM »

Being a former resident of the British Isles, let me add my two cents on the Blair issue.  The fact that I last lived there at the age of seven is of no importance here.  Of course.

I can't see Blair losing the election at this point.  Even if he does, the Lib Dems won't be the ones winning, and they'd be the only party to pull the troops out of Iraq.

A leadership challenge and infighting within the Labour party could theoretically depose Blair, but the time for that seems to have passed.

If Labour somehow doesn't get a majority in Parliament, it's theoretically possible that some sort of coalition government would force a withdrawal from Iraq...but I doubt it.

as a resident of the planet of Mars, I'd also like to add that you earthlings really should stop sending rovers up here.  We will continue to sabotage them, just as we did with your old one.  Leave us alone.  We are a peaceful aristocracy.  We want none of your democratic ways.  Democracy leads to free exchange of ideas, which leads to argument and to war. 

Also, there are no weapons of mass effect on Mars.  Look elsewhere!
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 05:20:39 PM »

If Blair loses his re-election campaign, Bush might lose one of his staunch allies in the War on Terror. 
No you won't. Britain would be much more loyal ally of USA if Torys won the election.

Angus. What kind of pot situation you have on the planet Mars?

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 05:28:08 PM »

Not to mention bringing back hereditary peers and peerages!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 06:34:18 PM »

Not to mention bringing back hereditary peers and peerages!

Stop the Toffs coming back... Vote Labour
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 02:09:08 PM »

Blair will win, fulfilling the 'Iraq doesn't cost you an election' rule (Aznar doesn't count, it wasn't Iraq, it was Madrid).
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 10:04:39 PM »

the anglosphere is drifting right Sad
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 10:59:46 PM »

The elections should send a message to all terrorists out there, find a different line of work!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 11:07:59 PM »

The elections should send a message to all terrorists out there, find a different line of work!

I wish they would.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies