The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:53:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are colleges good for bad for the US?
Good (D/lean D)

Good (R/lean R)

Bad (D/lean D)

Bad (R/lean R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows  (Read 9243 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 11, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »

It totally depends on the program and degree  in my opinion

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example ).

Me taking RELS 3755 On the Divine was bad for the country!? Gimme an effing break.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:40:47 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2017, 06:46:23 PM by Cath »

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example ).

Me taking RELS 3755 On the Divine was bad for the country!? Gimme an effing break.
How much did you end up paying for the privilege of taking that course? The major reason to learn the liberal arts via a college education instead of self study is so that it can be part of your credentials. That's even true for quite a few STEM courses. Beyond getting a credential, the only other thing gained from the collegiate setting academically is that you are in theory following a curated syllabus of courses that ensures you have a comprehensive view of your chosen field of study. Back in the 12th century, if you wanted access to knowledge you had to go to where the knowledgeable people were, namely a university. But this ain't the 12th century, it's the 21st.  There's zero need for colleges as places to learn. They're places to gain a credential that shows that you have learned.

It was necessary to meet Honors Program curriculum. Again, this was bad for the country? And Ernest, I didn't take you for a pure utilitarian; it's slightly frightening.

EDIT: In any case, most of my "useless" classes counted in some manner towards my degree; whether or not my degree was useless remains to be seen, but it at least serves my declared purposes. My English and Religious Studies courses, for example, either met Honors Program, or core curriculum. That said, my school, particularly in the liberal arts, put a great weight on liberal arts "core" (required philsophy, religion, etc. courses)--something engineers loved to complain about, but that's what you get for going to a Jesuit university. Regardless, in theory, my useless classes served the purpose that you, in your infinite wisdom, prescribed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:36:01 PM »

I'm not talking about people who just take a couple classes in those areas ,I'm talking about doing your  major related to that . I clearly said doing  degrees in those subjects are bad for the country not taking a couple classes in that area.

But... bad for the country?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »

I'm not talking about people who just take a couple classes in those areas ,I'm talking about doing your  major related to that . I clearly said doing  degrees in those subjects are bad for the country not taking a couple classes in that area.

yes as many of the degree make people SJW and that is terrible for the country.

Ah, religion, the province of the left. This of course ignores history, literature, philosophy...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »

yes as many of the degree make people SJW and that is terrible for the country.

Ah, religion, the province of the left. This of course ignores history, literature, philosophy...

History is one of the good liberal arts programs (along with history and philosophy)

History, history, and philosophy, you say?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies