What would Christianity look like had the Gospel of John not been written? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:31:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What would Christianity look like had the Gospel of John not been written? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would Christianity look like had the Gospel of John not been written?  (Read 1008 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: May 20, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »

The Book of John is one of the most popular books of the New Testament among Christians.  It is, of course, the newest gospel about Jesus, and it's also the one that makes the most suspect claims about Jesus' mysticism and is heavily depended on by commonly held doctrines, such as those of the Trinity and Incarnation, as evidence of their authenticity.  It also gives us "Doubting" Thomas the Apostle and numerous other characters, some of which whose existence has been disputed.  (This article breaks it down nicely.  Yes, yes, it's a Spong piece, but I think he provides valuable insight nonetheless.)

John is obviously not the only book of the New Testament to attribute divine features to Jesus, yet it devotes more of itself to describing those features than any other gospel or epistle.  So to that I ask, how would Christianity have turned out if it were not for John's gospel?  Would there be any less emphasis on Jesus' miracles within modern evangelical circles absent that book?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:02:50 PM »

Yes, yes, it's a Spong piece, but I think he provides valuable insight nonetheless.)

I dispute that Tongue

I'm referring more to the way he breaks down the gospel itself.  I've been studying the NT in depth lately and I'm coming across a lot of controversies within Christian scholarship that I was not aware of until recently; the discrepancies regarding John is one of them.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think the biggest issue would be the Trinity. I think you can still arrive at the Trinity via Paul's letters but its more likely that something like Arianism would be orthodoxy today.

As for the miracle emphasis in evangelicalism, I doubt anything would change. There are still plenty of miracles in the Synoptic Gospels to use (healing the leper, healing the paralytic, feeding 5000 etc.)
[/quote]

But would Paul have been inspired to write about the Trinity had it not been for the influence of John?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »

But would Paul have been inspired to write about the Trinity had it not been for the influence of John?

Since the Pauline Epistles predate John, yes.

Ah, that would make sense, then.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies