CT to repeal the death penalty (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:58:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CT to repeal the death penalty (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CT to repeal the death penalty  (Read 21409 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 07, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »

Really? Not that you disagree with it, not that you think it's ineffectual policy, but the notion of not executing criminals disgusts you? Your morals are f'ed.

It's easy to understand why people would be disgusted that tax payers are being made to house, clothe, feed and provide recreation and entertainment for people that in many cases are violent multiple offenders. Although given how expensive and slow death row is I can't say I particularly care. But I can understand why people would react so viscerally to this.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »

I go back and forth on my personal feeling regarding the ethics of capital punishment itself (assuming perfect implementation, which doesn't exist). On one hand, the State can punish people who commit crimes, whether you steal their money or freedom (jail) as a punishment or take their life (execution), it seems rather comparable, just varying levels of severity.

On the other hand, I often feel that everyone has (or should have, depending on country) an absolute, undeniable right to live, no matter who he is and what he did, and the irreversible nature of death does make it different from other punishments.

Whatever you think, though, it's certainly inappropriate to consider NOT killing people disgusting. That's just a basic principle of decency. That indicates a lack of character and conscience (both of which are true about the poster in question).

Well sure, but then prison isn't exactly risk free for inmates. My personal attitude leans more towards just executing people with multiple strikes though as I implied earlier. I could see some ambiguity in terms of individual murder cases but not if someone has a repeated pattern of psychopathic behavior that makes them extremely dangerous to staff or inmates. My gut feeling is such people should just be put down.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »

Really? Not that you disagree with it, not that you think it's ineffectual policy, but the notion of not executing criminals disgusts you? Your morals are f'ed.

Remember guys, conservatives are pro-life.

Unless that life is gay, black, Atheist, Muslim, Hispanic...you know what, anyone who isn't white. White American. No, just no rights for anyone.
Uh, "conservatives" are so pathetic on racial pandering they like to claim Martin Luther King Jr. was one of them at this point and brag that Bush's administration was the most "diverse."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies