What happened to Paul Ryan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:24:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What happened to Paul Ryan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happened to Paul Ryan?  (Read 2475 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:19:21 PM »

From VP choice in 2012 to:

PPP National Poll, March 14.
Huckabee 18%
Bush 15%
Christie 14%
Paul 14%
Cruz 11%
Rubio 6%
Ryan 5%
Walker 5%
Jindal 4%

My theory:
1. He didn't really have a clear base of support. He was just.... "acceptable" to almost all GOP factions.
2. The Bipartisan Budget Act. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipartisan_Budget_Act_of_2013 Worked with Dem Senator Patty Murray to create a bipartisan solution. RINO!
3. As a House member, he became considered as a candidate less often than Governors and Senators, who increased their standings in the 2016 polls. Example: Walker, who he is now tied with in this poll.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »

Tainted as a loser. Plus, unlike Palin, he was never particularly loved by the GOP base. Ryan's base is the Very Serious People in the beltway media, which isn't a particularly strong demographic.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 11:08:27 PM »

From VP choice in 2012 to:

PPP National Poll, March 14.
Huckabee 18%
Bush 15%
Christie 14%
Paul 14%
Cruz 11%
Rubio 6%
Ryan 5%
Walker 5%
Jindal 4%

My theory:
1. He didn't really have a clear base of support. He was just.... "acceptable" to almost all GOP factions.
2. The Bipartisan Budget Act. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipartisan_Budget_Act_of_2013 Worked with Dem Senator Patty Murray to create a bipartisan solution. RINO!
3. As a House member, he became considered as a candidate less often than Governors and Senators, who increased their standings in the 2016 polls. Example: Walker, who he is now tied with in this poll.

I agree with all those and a fourth one.

4. Republicans realized what a lightweight he was in the VP debate when Biden schooled him.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:22:54 PM »

Ryan took a huge dump at CPAC with his "full stomach, empty soul" speech that made him look like a fool, which apparently he is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2014/03/06/a-story-too-good-to-check-paul-ryan-and-the-story-of-the-brown-paper-bag/

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/11/must_see_morning_clip_people_on_food_assistance_have_empty_souls/
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »

He has no base. None whatsoever.

Huckabee has social conservatives, Christie has moderates and establishment conservatives who think he can win, Paul has libertarians and shares the Tea Party with Ted Cruz.

Ryan does not have anything of the like.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 11:47:52 PM »

Others have clear constituencies, so they're more likely to be the first choice. Rand Paul has the civil liberties folks. Huckabee has the support of those who want big government, just of a socially conservative sort. Chris Christie has a combination of moderates, establishment folk, and people who want a fighter. Ted Cruz has those who think congressional leadership isn't conservative enough. Jeb Bush has the people who liked Christie, but think the scandal's kinda suspicious.

Until recently, it also didn't really look like Paul Ryan was serious about running. So there's less incentive to follow him.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »

I personally don't find Ryan charismatic. He can be incredibly awkward. To me, he comes off as this geek who spends his time memorizing a bunch of stats. Not to mention, he has never won a statewide election. He's fine in a related role in the House, but I don't see him as much more than that.

It's obvious his true calling is in Congress -and I think he knows it from his experience as Romney's running-mate in 2012.  For this reason, I don't see him ever running for President. 
fartboy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 02:34:00 AM »

He never really had a base and now he's caught up in a racial mess.
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 04:05:43 AM »

I personally don't find Ryan charismatic. He can be incredibly awkward. To me, he comes off as this geek who spends his time memorizing a bunch of stats. Not to mention, he has never won a statewide election. He's fine in a related role in the House, but I don't see him as much more than that.

It's obvious his true calling is in Congress -and I think he knows it from his experience as Romney's running-mate in 2012.  For this reason, I don't see him ever running for President. 

Agreed.  I see Ryan as someone who might end up being very successful in congress, but isn't presidential material.  Not that this is bad (despite not liking his views on...everything).  He's young and has a lot of time to make his mark.  A run for the presidency might only damage his aspirations.
fartboy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 04:12:10 AM »

Agreed.  I see Ryan as someone who might end up being very successful in congress, but isn't presidential material.  Not that this is bad (despite not liking his views on...everything).  He's young and has a lot of time to make his mark.  A run for the presidency might only damage his aspirations.

He doesn't strike me as presidential material either. Sometimes I get the feeling that he's weird. One thing he'd be good at is stroking the base of our party, but I can't see him delivering a speech from the oval office.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »

Tainted as a loser. Plus, unlike Palin, he was never particularly loved by the GOP base. Ryan's base is the Very Serious People in the beltway media, which isn't a particularly strong demographic.
I agree with all of you. He has no "base", sadly.
hopper
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »

I think he is good on a Congressional Level Politician(House, US Senate.) I know he has been mentioned as Speaker Of The House one day but I'm not even sure about that though. He will be probably Ways and Means Chairman in the 114th Congress since Dave Camp(R-MI) is term limited because the GOP puts term limits on committee chairman unless you file a waiver for another term.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »

Ryan's not showing a lot of interest, but if he ran I think he'd be the nominee. He could unify the party, as could Walker.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »

Since the election he moved hard left on immigration.  He also supports ENDA legislation.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 09:28:19 PM »

If he was Senator Ryan or Governor Ryan then people would take him more seriously but he's just some guy from Wisconsin right now representing 600K people. The only reason he's mentioned is because was VP pick.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 12:14:56 PM »

Wow… is this seriously what he believes? I mean I knew he was a Randroid before, but this is how he justifies it to himself? Pretty rich for a guy who lived off of Social Security benefits.
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »

He has chosen the path of working his way up through the ranks in the House. If he wanted to be a conservative hero he would have the platform to do so but it appears he has no interest in that. He is doing a great job securing important positions in congresss. Perhaps 2012 made him realize how much happier he will be/how much more suited he is to a behind the scenes role.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »

Agreed with the above comments.

Ryan seems more interested in securing a high level position in the House like Ways & Means Chairman then running for President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies