Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted]. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:57:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted]. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted].  (Read 164308 times)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« on: April 03, 2015, 02:56:11 PM »

Here is the reason I left Sprouts:  I was starting to get the idea that I was seriously risking my feet and back.  I felt that I was about 10-15 years too late and about 100-125 pounds too heavy to really be able to do the job very well.  Yesterday, one of my friends on Facebook told me of when she started working as a letter carrier for the post office at age 40.  She was real heavy and not in shape at all.  She could only do the job for a short time before she had to work inside at the post office for 9 years.  She is now on disability, hurts all of the time, both of her hands now have nerve damage, and she has to get injections in her right knee twice a year all because she took on a job that she physically couldn't do.  Her bad health was not an excuse, it was reality.  That confirmed the decision to change jobs and really validated it for me.  I know you all will probably balk at her story, but it really validated the decision for me.  Now, perhaps I was wrong about my perception and my fear, but we'll really never know the answer to that.

It sounds like (if someone is 40 and drastically overweight) she was in terrible condition for most, if not all, her life. The simple fact is excess weight and almost nonexistent physical activity lead to so many physical ailments. That is what I'd wager is the cause of her disability, not doing a physical job. Hell, ever seen 70 or 80 year-olds in the gym? They're not disabled.

I'm sorry to say, but it looks like you were looking for an excuse to flee this job. It was a challenge you never had to endure before (and all challenges which are new to us are the most terrifying) but you gave up on it before making a genuine effort to overcome it.

And please don't pretend you did the decent thing to your former company by giving them two weeks notice. I suspect you knew full-well they were going to can you on the spot, and you just wanted a 2+ week vacation to return to a slothful lifestyle.

Trust me, I speak from experience. Breaking the habit (or addiction rather) of extreme slothfulness is an extremely difficult thing to do. But it can be done. It's not impossible, but like everything else worthwhile it requires genuine effort.

The wakeup call I got was someone in my family (who I was very close with) flat-out telling me I was dangerously overweight and HAD to change. Not in a while, or at my earliest convenience, but right now. Like any other sinful activity, the best way to get right with God is to end it immediately, not make arrangements to end it at a future date.

I think that's what it's going to take with you. Someone in your inner circle is going to have to be blunt with you, and have a stern conversation about making permanent changes to how you live your life. And honestly, those are the family members who do us the most good. Their love and compassion for us is so strong they're not afraid of having a conversation which will be uncomfortable and awkward. They say things which need to be said.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:08:40 AM »

We both decided it was cheaper to go two weeks without employment and not burn a bridge than it was to get some extra money and burn a bridge that I may need later on. 

Sorry but that makes no sense. Huh
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »

I understand he doesn't want to revisit ONG but if this week proved anything, it proves he's learned absolutely nothing over the last few years. I guess he still things he's the smartest person in the room. His pride will always kill him.

True. By pridefully boasting "I come out a winner" at every moment he loses something, he conditions himself to believe he doesn't need to change a thing about him, because he does nothing but "win" all the time.

And why do winners need to change, after all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies