Opinion of billionaires (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:32:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of billionaires (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Opinion of billionaires  (Read 5405 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« on: February 07, 2017, 08:49:45 PM »

Obviously a very diverse group of people. Have a moderately favourable opinion of some (Carlos Slil, Carl Icahn etc), not a fan of others (Mark Zuckerberg and the Koch Brothers among them). I certainly don't consider them to be 'immoral' for amassing (or inheriting) such large amounts of wealth, given that I myself can never say no to more money (given that I have very little of it in the grand scheme of things). On the other hand I'm not a fan of Trump-like conspicuous consumption, nor am I a fan of billionaires who use their position as a pulpit from which to pontificate about 'morality', 'justice', 'values' and all that bollocks (in the same way that I'm no fan of journalists, thespians and academics who do the same). But neither of those things can really be helped. I'm not sure how much they benefit society as a whole (probably do some good and some bad), but as I will shortly be entering the black hole of financial services I feel I stand to benefit more from them (and 'very rich people' generally) being around than not.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »

Most billionaires either got it because of their parents, or because they were ruthless assholes. They're really mostly all HP. Note that I don't think the same about people worth a couple of million.

Why though? I mean, if someone's got a few million to their name, the difference between them and a billionaire is merely one of degree as opposed to one of kind.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »

I'm very glad I made this a thread.

Fwiw the weirdest moment was completely ignored:' Cassius saying his favourite billionaire is Carlos Slim, lol.

Tbf I didn't say 'favourite', I said that I had a 'moderately favourable' opinion of him. Different thing. My favourite billionaire (obvs Marcus Licinius Crassus) has been dead for over 2,000 years, so I considered it inappropriate to mention him.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »

My favourite billionaire (obvs Marcus Licinius Crassus) has been dead for over 2,000 years, so I considered it inappropriate to mention him.

Oh come ON now you're just trying too hard. You probably wear a bow tie as well and pretend to enjoy dry sherry.

Nah, I'm more of a t-shirt and sh**tty beer kind of guy. On the other hand it is one of my aspirations in life to reach the stage where I can where trouser braces without getting shat upon by co-workers/boss. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:51:57 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 08:54:36 AM by Cassius »

Are trouser braces really esoteric enough to provoke that reaction? As long as you're wearing a jacket they're not especially noticeable.

My experience would be no, though I'm informed that e.g. brown shoes are seen as Bad in finance - not a fact I'll ever have cause to worry about naturally - so Lord knows wrt some workplaces.

Basically the same scenario - generally speaking, if someone in an entry level position in financial services (or applying for one) wears braces it's assumed (often with good reason) that they've watched Wall Street too many times and think they're Real Life Gordon Gekko. Given that the whole point of being in an entry level position is to do the sh**tty jobs and not to draw negative attention to oneself, wearing braces is not advantageous (as with brown shoes, dodgy haircuts, pinstripes and the like). Now, whilst I wasn't around for when braces were in vogue, I do rather like the aesthetic they bring. On the other hand, I'd also like to present as narrow a target as possible, so I'll pack it in until such a time as I don't have to worry (as much) about how my sartorial choices are perceived.

Also on the jacket business, that is a fair point, but on the other hand offices can get pretty sweaty (especially if the cooling is poor/non existent or you're positioned in an awkward spot getting hit by the sun full blast), and jackets are pretty cumbersome things to sit/work in.

Ofc, this is just my personal experience and knowledge, but it is what it is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies