2011 Canadian Provincial Elections - Wrap-up phase.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:19:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian Provincial Elections - Wrap-up phase.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 39
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian Provincial Elections - Wrap-up phase.  (Read 116412 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »

The Liberal Party of NL is not dead. When the rural outports want change, it's not likely they'll choose the NDP, they'll pick the Liberals.  Newfoundland could very well be a 3 party system in the coming years. But, if the Tories and NDP duke it out in St. John's, that leaves the Liberals in the rest of the province and could yet win again.
I'll respond to this when I have time, but in short, I can prove using history that you are wrong Tongue
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #351 on: September 30, 2011, 10:23:21 PM »

Why can't the NDP compete in rural NL?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2011, 12:15:05 AM »

Oh they can, but it's more of a traditional area, much like PEI or most of Cape Breton or New Brunswick. These areas were will be harder to penetrate, but over a generation may be able to win. But, no one will live there in a generation... so.. Wink
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #353 on: October 01, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »

Oh they can, but it's more of a traditional area, much like PEI or most of Cape Breton or New Brunswick. These areas were will be harder to penetrate, but over a generation may be able to win. But, no one will live there in a generation... so.. Wink

If they succeded to be competitive in Quebec, no reason why they can't penetrate there.

But it will need much work.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #354 on: October 01, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »

Is there any indication what's going to happen in the Yukon? Looks like a majority of seats are in Whitehorse now. Is the NDP going to take over as the opposition there?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #355 on: October 01, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »

Is there any indication what's going to happen in the Yukon? Looks like a majority of seats are in Whitehorse now. Is the NDP going to take over as the opposition there?

Maybe, I haven't been following it that much. I do recall there was a poll a few weeks ago with the NDP in 2nd.
adma
« Reply #356 on: October 01, 2011, 11:35:54 PM »

Substitute "St. Nicholas" for "St. John's", and that sentence sounds like Christmas;-)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #357 on: October 01, 2011, 11:55:04 PM »

There is a precedent for a party going from being in government and even a natural governing party of a province - to being dead in very short order.

True; obviously you've mentioned the most remarkable example, but there's also the Saskatchewan PCs, the SoCreds, the old conservative Liberals in Manitoba and Saskatchewan... to say nothing of the near-death experiences of once-governing NDP's in a couple of provinces. Given the massive historical importance of the Newfie Liberals, this would be up there with the UN, even if the fall won't have been quite as dramatic. If it happens.

And it happens more often in Canada than it does anywhere else.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #358 on: October 02, 2011, 03:57:37 AM »

Not directly related, but Alison Redford won and is the new Premier-designate of Alberta.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #359 on: October 02, 2011, 04:16:12 AM »

Not directly related, but Alison Redford won and is the new Premier-designate of Alberta.

Leading to an exodus of members to Wild Rose... Last week or the week before, Wild Rose received 300 membership applications in a single week.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #360 on: October 02, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »

Someone made maps of the leadership election on Wikipedia.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #361 on: October 02, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »

I gather she was the more moderate candidate?
adma
« Reply #362 on: October 02, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »

Sorta like: the next Nancy Betkowski.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #363 on: October 02, 2011, 04:40:08 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2011, 06:06:24 PM by Smid »

I read an article last week about how all three candidates were from the moderate wing of the party. I think if she was from any province where the Liberal Party was competitive, she would not have joined the PC Party, although she's run for (and lost) federal endorsement, so I guess she thinks she could fit within Harper's caucus.

EDIT: Here's the article I read last week
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #364 on: October 02, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »

I read an article last week about how all three candidates were from the moderate wing of the party. I think if she was from any province where the Liberal Party was competitive, she would not have joined the PC Party, although she's run for (and lost) federal endorsement, so I guess she thinks she could fit within Harper's caucus.

Of the three she was probably the most moderate, although Doug Horner was pretty moderate and even was Gary Mar.  I believe all three were supporters of the PCs, not the Reform/Alliance federally during the 90s.  Mind you many of the Reform/Alliance supporters federally probably are supporters of the Wild Rose Alliance.

Another interesting tidbit is if Manitoba re-elects the NDP and Ontario re-elects the Liberals, we may not have any governments changing this fall (PEI, Newfoundland, and Saskatchewan are likely to be easy wins for the incumbnets).  I wonder if uncertainty causes people to stick with what they know rather than vote for change.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »

Of the three she was probably the most moderate, although Doug Horner was pretty moderate and even was Gary Mar.  I believe all three were supporters of the PCs, not the Reform/Alliance federally during the 90s.  Mind you many of the Reform/Alliance supporters federally probably are supporters of the Wild Rose Alliance.

Another interesting tidbit is if Manitoba re-elects the NDP and Ontario re-elects the Liberals, we may not have any governments changing this fall (PEI, Newfoundland, and Saskatchewan are likely to be easy wins for the incumbnets).  I wonder if uncertainty causes people to stick with what they know rather than vote for change.

Typically it's the opposite. Strong economies in Newfoundland, Manitoba and SK will result in reelected gov'ts. Ontarios economy means more uncertainty in voting.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #366 on: October 02, 2011, 11:32:37 PM »

Final PEI prediction: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com/2011/10/prince-edward-island-2011-election.html
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #367 on: October 03, 2011, 04:17:15 AM »

All of these elections on the same date (three days from now)?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #368 on: October 03, 2011, 04:55:56 AM »

No!

PEI and NWT are today, Manitoba is tomorrow.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #369 on: October 03, 2011, 05:00:23 AM »

No!

PEI and NWT are today, Manitoba is tomorrow.
Oh, lol.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #370 on: October 03, 2011, 05:40:17 AM »

For reference, here is the election result for PEI 2007:

It's in the gallery.

Great work on the Alberta leadership maps, Earl!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #371 on: October 03, 2011, 07:23:19 AM »

Great work on the Alberta leadership maps, Earl!

Those aren't mine!
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #372 on: October 03, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »

The NFLD Liberals are very bitter about the polls... they are claiming they were bought and paid for by the tories?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nlvotes2011/story/2011/10/03/nl-liberals-slam-poll-103.html

This is quite childish by the liberals... you never hear the NDP in PEI saying things like that? Perhaps your party (liberals) just aren't clicking with the people out there? not believing there is a problem might be part of it
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #373 on: October 03, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »

Oh, sorry, I'd looked at them and thought they were pretty good and were yours. I should have realised you'd have also uploaded onto your site.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #374 on: October 03, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »

PEI results are now trickling in.  The Liberals ahead, but the Tories doing better than most polls suggested, although its early going, so I wouldn't read too much into the number now.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies