SENATE BILL: The Duke-Scott Educating The People Reform (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:45:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Duke-Scott Educating The People Reform (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Duke-Scott Educating The People Reform (Debating)  (Read 12234 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: July 02, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

I certainly support the gist of this and would encourage you guys to keep it simple and direct - the last three pages are about software and operating systems and versions and so on, and I think the best thing might be to assume districts will make some of those choices, or else word it so that in fact is what happens. Then just wash your hands of it.

Required tutoring would probably involve some kind of compensation since it usually occurs after school when most people are tired, irritated, ready to go home?

What would be really cool, but totally not required, would be a program for recycling old technology! You want to see museums of old technology? Visit a public school. Tongue

This is also labeled "Part I." Is the idea that a "Part II" is coming at some point later?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Alright, how about this?

Something along those lines is great - "Districts may select the appropriate software and hardware that they find most suitable."

I really don't think it's reasonable to spend every dollar for them. I think as long as it is understood that they are spending money on educational technology (i.e., computers) that's sufficient.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »

So where are we here? Lumine's amendment is fine with me - how he worded it or how I worded it are both fine, because it means the same thing.

What sticking points remain?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:19:48 AM »

Okay, here's what I think I'm going to do. After a couple days I'm going to take the last text of this, include Lumine's amendment, edit it all so that it's acceptable to me, and then present it. Hopefully, a senator will pick it up, and maybe - just maybe - that will be the impetus to complete this. I'd just like to get away from foreign policy and war for a day. Yes?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »

Ah, my friend, that would be civil war. And I agree, that will be hard to get away from. Grin

Henry VII after all might have been more appropriate, if it weren't for the fact that his son and grandkids were so awful. Tongue

Anyway, tomorrow at the soonest or over the weekend at the latest I'll have something with this education statute. I've got to deal with the Sanity in F.P. bill today.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »

King Edward thanks thee, Yankee! Tongue

That will get my undivided attention today.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2014, 11:47:16 AM by DemPGH, President »

Okay, any problems here?

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

I think Lumine's on leave. Sigh.

Thanks, TNF, for picking this up!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »

Yeah, the purpose is to at least just get this back on track. When I was Gov. of the Pacific we debated buying computers for schools and it kind of devolved into Mac vs. PC and this system vs. that one and we eventually shelved it. There were also issues with cost. There really isn't a lot that can come from that debate because everyone will have different opinions on all of those details. It becomes a regress.

I hope this thing is close, and if anyone would want to tweak it (like spell out some criteria rather than trying to spend the money for them), we could, but I hope substantial overhauls won't be necessary at this point. 

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »

Okay, I'm guessing this is the current text, then!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »

I think this is pretty comprehensive, and I like that we didn't forget about textbooks! I'm still kind of partial to print myself.

If there's another one we might target STEM or something like that, just an idea.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »

X DemPGH, President

We got it, pop a cork! Nice work, guys. The merits are obvious and have been discussed, and I don't mind spending money on education. Smiley Good work.

Another one might target certain areas, like STEM and so forth, which I did a little of in the Pacific. But for now let's just celebrate this one.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies