UK General Election Results The UK Public Probably Regretted (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:27:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election Results The UK Public Probably Regretted (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election Results The UK Public Probably Regretted  (Read 2892 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« on: June 18, 2014, 03:03:22 PM »

There usually seems to be at least some sense of 'buyers remorse' with most governments. The only one's, in more recent history, that I can think of that didn't, really, are the Labour governments of 64-66, February-October 74 and 97-01. Even then, it was probably because the first two governments didn't last for very long (indeed, had Labour won a majority in 1964, they might well have lost a putative election in 1968 or 1969), whilst there was a very brief period of unpopularity for the first Blair government (during the fuel crisis). Basically, most governments are victims of bad circumstances or bad policy decisions, and this inevitably costs them following the brief 'honeymoon' period in the wake of an election victory.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »

I’m not sure if it is fair to call Ted Heath incompetent. I think he was probably overwhelmed by events. The sectarian violence in Northern Ireland was becoming worse by the day, and the government in Westminster didn’t really know what to do about it. British industry was of course performing poorly. One of the reasons for this was bad industrial relations. The trade unions must take a lot of the responsibility for this. The British public wasn’t ready for a confrontation with the unions in the early 1970s, so there wasn’t that much Heath could have done.

I think it is obvious that Harold Wilson couldn’t have handled this better. Despite the strong ties that existed between Labour and the unions they were unable to halt the strikes that crippled British industry when they got back to power.

I think, although I could be wrong, that Harold Wilson actually did manage to calm the situation with the Trade Unions during the mid-seventies, although the government's pay policy unravelled spectacularly in 1979 (which partly helped propel Thatcher to victory in that year's election) under Callaghan. Also, it should be remembered that during the latter part of the seventies, in certain cases, Union leaders actually found it quite hard to restrain their own members, so the Union's themselves shouldn't receive all of the blame. I may be wrong, but that's what I've read anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies