presidential elections during war time (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:10:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  presidential elections during war time (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: presidential elections during war time  (Read 55584 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« on: May 12, 2004, 07:43:24 PM »

I've heard a rumor that I would like to verify.  Is there anything that states a president may not be removed from office, including due to a presidential election, during a time of war?

Where the hell did you hear that?  That's just stupid.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 06:59:59 PM »

I've heard a rumor that I would like to verify.  Is there anything that states a president may not be removed from office, including due to a presidential election, during a time of war?

I was also taught that, however it is not actually true. The example I was given was FDR and that the reasoning behind his long time as President was that there wasn't an election during wartime when actually there was in 1944. The reason he held office so long was that the 22nd Amendment which limits a President to 2 terms or 10 years, whichever comes first had not been passed at the time.

They're actually teaching that in British schools?  Wow.  The United States differs from many democracies by constitutionally mandating regular federal elections that occur no matter what. The United Kingdom did not hold a parliamentary election for the duration of World War II, while the United States held regular congressional elections in 1942 and 1944 and a presidential election in 1944. Vigorously contested partisan elections in wartime are a fundamental part of our political system.

There are three pre Cold War wartime Presidential elections:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies