Should residents of American Samoa receive US citizenship? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:48:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should residents of American Samoa receive US citizenship? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should residents of American Samoa receive US citizenship?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Should residents of American Samoa receive US citizenship?  (Read 994 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: April 18, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »

No.  For much the same reason why they opposed becoming an Organized Territory, they (or at least their leadership) prefer the current arrangement.  They perceive it as keeping their options open without committing to being a permanent part of the United States.  After all, they know full well that Statehood will never be an option for them.  If their preference changes, then I'd support universal citizenship, but it's not particularly difficult now for anyone there who wants citizenship to obtain it.
Only if you have no brains. Tongue

I don't know about that. The Samoas together have over a quarter-million people, that might could make a state (I'm assuming Samoa would probably accept if offered). Guam + NMI is over 200K people, that could probably make a state too.

Yes, these two states would be low population, but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Combining them all into one state would be tricky because of International Date Line issues, but that could be an option too. (I wouldn't add them to Hawaii, because Hawaii's population would dwarf them.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies